Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
Yeah... but... the British government was taking an active role in finding a port. The BVI is British Territory and not a commonwealth like the Bahamas. You'd think they'd have sway over the island the Crown owns.

The Bahamas is an independent country. They declared their independence from the UK back in the 70's.

carolina_yankee

Regarding shuttering resorts, I wonder how much of a possibility that would even be with DVC attached to nearly every Deluxe and people needing the more affordable accommodations of Values and Mods if economy tanks. I can shuttering wings, but not whole resorts.

AK-Jambo would be the most interesting because of the number of Deluxe rooms but having to keep Jambo fully functioning because of the 5th floor DVC units.

Disney's done a good job of creating a captive audience with DVC, but the problem is we won't go unless we have something to do . . . (and can even get there).

DCBaker

Premium Member
Where did you see that? Last I heard they were considering it. I believe you just want a source so when I tell my wife I don’t turn out to be a liar. (We live 5 min from Ohio)

"COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine and Ohio Department of Health director Amy Acton ordered all Ohio bars and restaurants to end their dine-in options beginning at 9 p.m. Sunday in order to enforce social distancing and stymie the spread of COVID-19.

Bars and restaurants can still offer delivery and carry-out options, DeWine said. Stores selling food and alcohol can stay open."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here’s the logic around why this extreme social distancing that has started many places needs to be implemented nationwide. Right now due to a lack of testing we have no idea how many people are actually infected. In that situation we need to assume everyone is potentially infected. By implementing a plan of no unnecessary travel and essentially asking everyone to stay home for 14 days the goal is to find out how many people are actually sick. If I stay at home for 14 days with virtually no outside contact with anyone but my wife and kids, after 14 days we are in the clear. If during that time any of us develop symptoms we should be immediately tested and if positive go on quarantine until we recover. This is obviously only possible If mass testing is available a everyone buys in. There seems to also be a misconception about what mass testing is too. It’s not testing everyone it’s testing anyone with symptoms and doing it immediately. In theory if this plan is actually followed by everyone in 14 days we know exactly who is sick and they all go on quarantine. The rest of the people come out in public again and life continues. Yes, cases will still come around but like Wuhan at a rate of 10 a day and as soon as they do you can trace all contact and test everyone immediately to stop a repeat of the mass spread.

As far as the impact on the economy, this is likely to be less painful than letting everyone just catch the disease and eventually using herd immunity to limit spread. Besides the issues with hospital beds and the loss of life, it will also drag this out at a much more extreme level. I don’t think the extreme social distancing plan will work in 14 days since they haven’t ramped up testing yet but if people buy in it could work in a month. School would go back, bars, restaurants, sports leagues and retail stores can ramp up again and WDW can re-open. If on the other hand too many people are selfish and continue to think it’s OK to be out and about interacting with people we will never get ahead of this. The reason we need a shut down period is people start to be contagious even before showing symptoms so without isolation of virtually everyone this will continue to spread uncontrolled. It’s taking a smaller hit upfront vs a much larger one down the road.

21stamps

Where did you see that? Last I heard they were considering it. I believe you just want a source so when I tell my wife I don’t turn out to be a liar. (We live 5 min from Ohio)

It was announced in the latest update today. Along with the governor saying that schools could be closed for the remainder of the year.

Fun times.

VaderTron

When Iger wanted out and took everyone by surprise, no time to look for a replacement CEO. In steps Chapek and we know what he is capable of doing.
Yeah...this!

MK Main Street:

anarchy.jpg

Rimmit

As I asked in my other post? What is the end game. You slow the spread now and then it starts spreading from a new "patient zero" in a few months. Then what? Shut it all down again?

The end game is immunity. if this does not slow down or abate by itself, it becomes an endemic disease, just like HIV, Hep B, Flu, the common cold, etc. Eventually either the virus runs out of people to infect or we gain immunity via vaccination.

How long this will take is anybody’s guess, but at some point a disease starts to have difficulty transmitting as it has already infected the majority of the susceptible population or through vaccination efforts and natural immunity we put a stop to it. If it becomes endemic cases will pop up here and there, but ultimately much like chicken pox, measles, etc. Enough are vaccinated or have had the disease to where the spread is very limited.

21stamps

36. They are trying to get ahead of it.

We still don’t have enough tests so I’m sure they’re worried about what the real number is. It’s almost impossible to get thru to the hotline now. I’ve been trying all day, hoping that they’ll finally agree to schedule a test for me.
Last week I could get thru in 1-3 tries. Today and yesterday has been nothing but “the number you called is busy”

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Regarding shuttering resorts, I wonder how much of a possibility that would even be with DVC attached to nearly every Deluxe and people needing the more affordable accommodations of Values and Mods if economy tanks. I can shuttering wings, but not whole resorts.

AK-Jambo would be the most interesting because of the number of Deluxe rooms but having to keep Jambo fully functioning because of the 5th floor DVC units.

Disney's done a good job of creating a captive audience with DVC, but the problem is we won't go unless we have something to do . . . (and can even get there).
The DVC resorts will be open because the costs are covered. If they wanted to cut back on room availability it would likely be a moderate or a value. They are all huge resorts 2,000+ rooms in most cases. just my gut feeling.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Could you post a link please.

"COLUMBUS, Ohio — Ohio Gov. Mike DeWine and Ohio Department of Health director Amy Acton ordered all Ohio bars and restaurants to end their dine-in options beginning at 9 p.m. Sunday in order to enforce social distancing and stymie the spread of COVID-19.

Bars and restaurants can still offer delivery and carry-out options, DeWine said. Stores selling food and alcohol can stay open."

rnese

The Right to Assembly as guaranteed by the Constitution means the government can't stop you from gathering because they don't like you or don't agree with you. If a government official broke up an Assembly for no good reason, the Supreme Court would be on your side.

But, like all rights, it is not unrestricted. Your Freedom of Speech rights doesn't allow you to yell 'fire' in a crowded theater causing a panic. The government will surely punish you for it and the Supreme Court would applaud.

The assembly of citizens can be curtailed if governments have sufficient reason, usually dealing with public safety. They can impose curfews. They can keep crowds off of public parks to protect the park. They can impose martial law. They can disburse assemblies that have become violent or destructive. They can quarantine infectious people.

And if the government did so for the proper reason of public safety... the Supreme Court would applaud.

Your ideas of sovereign citizenship and unfettered licentiousness is right wing nut case territory.
Whoa! Unnecessary.

21stamps

Sounds like total fear mongering. Nobody can possibly know where this thing will be in 3 months, let alone a year.

Edit:

So it was fear mongering

Sorry guys I didn’t mean to confuse anyone. I meant the current school year that we’re in. Dont read it as calendar year.
A school year ends in end of May or June.
i.e. “End of Junior Year” or “I’ll be a senior next year”
I didn’t foresee the miscommunication there.

This will be catastrophic to kids and parents if it happens.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Yes and no on vaccines or tests. Employers can require flu vaccines unless you have a medical reason. Heck I have to do a yearly physical to drive a fork lift. So there are ways a vast amount of people can be required to submit to testing.
I think the point is that you still have a choice... you might have to find another job, but you don't HAVE to take the shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom