Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The spread is being slowed while the measures are in place. Once you go back to normal it is just going to repeat the same pattern. Then what?

With the vaccine, a big part of the delay is testing. With a vaccine you are giving it to healthy people. It has to be 100% safe otherwise it can do more harm than good. With a treatment for people with an illnesses you can take more risks because they are already sick.

Like I said in my other post. I'd like to see more data to show the real risk of overwhelming hospitals. Maybe it is real or maybe it is overblown. I can't find any data on the percentage of US cases that have required hospitalization. Even if 40%+ of the population is infected, it won't be simultaneously.
Doing nothing is guaranteed to get us straight to Italy. Then everything gets locked down and the economy goes to near zero for who knows how long. Many people die.

tallica

Your comment is misleading (intentionally or not) without context.

They're sending the college progam cast member home early. A month earlier than they would have been leaving anyway. Given theres little chance of the park being in any capacity to open before their program ends (and even if it did they wouldn't be needed given how quiet the place will be) its a no brainer to do that.
I have no context, only that it is happening.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I get that. My point is what happens when the same outbreak starts again?

I'd also like to know the data on what percentage of US cases require hospitalization. Also, the actual hospital capacity to handle cases. The fear of overwhelming the hospital system could be overblown.

What you're missing is that MOST people even with symptoms AREN'T able to get tested yet

RyanH

From what I heard this morning, you may not be able to come to the US from the UK in April they are now considering adding the UK to the banned country list in the US due to the rising number of cases in the UK. The percent of the UK population with the virus is quickly approaching other continental countries that are already on the banned list. Frankly a lot of people are wondering why the UK and Ireland were left off the list, especially Ireland which seems to have an even high percentage of the population with the virus than many of the countries on the list. You might want to start looking to see what the refund policy is on the airline tickets will be if the UK flights are banned.

Yes, that is kicking in from Monday. It does at least make out position a little clearer.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Doing nothing is guaranteed to get us straight to Italy. Then everything gets locked down and the economy goes to near zero for who knows how long. Many people die.

It absolutely can be simultaneous if these precautions aren’t in place. Look at Italy.

Exactly -

"National health authorities told reporters on Saturday that health officials recorded 3,497 new cases in 24 hours. That’s roughly a 20% increase in cases from the day before. A little more than half of those new cases occurred in Lombardy, the populous northern region which has been hardest hit in Europe’s worst outbreak. Italy’s total cases now tally 21,157. The death toll rose by 175."

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I'd also like to know the data on what percentage of US cases require hospitalization. Also, the actual hospital capacity to handle cases. The fear of overwhelming the hospital system could be overblown.

You only need to look at Italy to see the worst case scenario. You can't really wait until the cases get higher before we decide to take action, by then it will be to late.

Touchdown

Assuming there is not a risk of reinfection (which does not currently have enough evidence behind it) the idea is with isolating, you slow the spread of the disease. It still results in the same amount of people being infected (area under the curve) but over a longer time. Eventually those curves decline because herd immunity takes hold, you immune system should hopefully prevent you from getting this virus again, assuming it doesn’t mutate.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Upon further research, I’m starting to think Parks won’t reopen till July. Yikes.
Shanghai and Hong Kong look Like they are getting ready to re-open soon. They were closed the end of January so 2 months. That would put the US parks around mid-May to June 1. Any further delays in testing and containment and July could be wishful thinking. If we were taking bets I’d guess around May 15th but that is just purely a guess. Nobody knows how this will play out.

Brer Oswald

Shanghai and Hong Kong look Like they are getting ready to re-open soon. They were closed the end of January so 2 months. That would put the US parks around mid-May to June 1. Any further delays in testing and containment and July could be wishful thinking. If we were taking bets I’d guess around May 15th but that is just purely a guess. Nobody knows how this will play out.
I’m just going off the CP cancellation. They cancelled people ending in July/August who just started! Either this was really poorly thought out on their part, or they know more than we do.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The spread is being slowed while the measures are in place. Once you go back to normal it is just going to repeat the same pattern. Then what?

With the vaccine, a big part of the delay is testing. With a vaccine you are giving it to healthy people. It has to be 100% safe otherwise it can do more harm than good. With a treatment for people with an illnesses you can take more risks because they are already sick.

Like I said in my other post. I'd like to see more data to show the real risk of overwhelming hospitals. Maybe it is real or maybe it is overblown. I can't find any data on the percentage of US cases that have required hospitalization. Even if 40%+ of the population is infected, it won't be simultaneously.

There is plenty data out there on what has happened in other countries that can be used as a model for what could happen here. There seems to be a direct correlation between "social distancing" and a drop in new cases. China has seen a dramatic drop in new cases since they implemented some equally dramatic restrictions. As I said in my other post, this is not one of those things where you can wait to see if it gets worse before you do something.

Slowing the spread down also has other benefits, it give hospitals more time to prepare, more time for manufacturers to replenish necessary supplies, more time to develop therapeutic measures, more time to ramp up testing so we can get a more accurate picture of the outbreak, etc. If in two weeks from now the situation will be re-evaulated and we may see an extension of various social distancing measures.

Josh Hendy

South Korea seems to be doing relatively well after getting off to a very bad start with that crazy doomsday cult. They got cracking immediately on mass testing for example. Is there anyone paying attention and trying to imitate their success in say ... USA or Canada? I consider the UK a write off after they announced that they're going to let Corona run rampant. Not trying to criticize anyone just saying, if there are good examples of countries getting on top of things out there then other countries d_mn well better be trying to copy them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom