Need Advice Buying DVC Direct

sourbear61

Original Poster
Hi All - Reasonably new to the whole DVC thing (about to close on an OKW resale) and looking for some advice. My wife and I have decided that buying direct, for at least some points, for the blue card benefit is worth the premium. However there are some complicating factors including:

- Riviera - With the resale restrictions, not sure this makes the most sense. While I don't anticipate selling, much can change in 1 much less in 50 years so am thinking that Riviera, even with the 2xPoints for 2020 doesn't make much sense. Mainly around the issue of how appealing the contract would be for potential reasale if the points can only be used there.
- Older Resort Resale - Have spoken to a DVC rep and have a list of resorts I am interested in but they price higher than Riviera (ranging from a high of $60.00/pp higher to $30.00/pp less). For example, Copper Creek, currently on sale is priced at $220/pp vs. Riviera @ $195/pp. The range of contract terms is not quite so stark, ranging from 37 years to 48 years.

Am looking to purchase the minimum 100pts and balance between the options above and am also looking for input from folks more knowledgeable than I, including:

- Is any resort "better" to own than any other? I understand that Grand Floridian is considered, by some at least, the "flagship" so is trying to purchase there vs. Riviera worth the premium?
- Are monorail resorts more desirable than those accessible by other means (OKW for example, by Boat and bus)? I know mechanical items have a tendency to breakdown (as found out directly during our December 2019 visit where we waited for an 1hr at Epcot for the monorail) but feel (superficially at least) that the closer to WDW the better.
- What are folks' thoughts about term? We'd be in the range of 85-95 when these come due (with kids, at that point, 10-13 years older than I am now) so is an older resort, with a shorter term worth the savings or going with a Riviera contract (including the restrictions)?
- What are the community's thoughts on saving the $$ and go with an older resort?

Have not ruled out buying additional points resale btw, the goal here is to get the "blue card" benefits as the wife puts it. Home resort and pricing are the sticky's for us.

Thoughts?

nickys

Premium Member
Hi All - Reasonably new to the whole DVC thing (about to close on an OKW resale) and looking for some advice. My wife and I have decided that buying direct, for at least some points, for the blue card benefit is worth the premium. However there are some complicating factors including:

- Riviera - With the resale restrictions, not sure this makes the most sense. While I don't anticipate selling, much can change in 1 much less in 50 years so am thinking that Riviera, even with the 2xPoints for 2020 doesn't make much sense. Mainly around the issue of how appealing the contract would be for potential reasale if the points can only be used there.
- Older Resort Resale - Have spoken to a DVC rep and have a list of resorts I am interested in but they price higher than Riviera (ranging from a high of $60.00/pp higher to $30.00/pp less). For example, Copper Creek, currently on sale is priced at $220/pp vs. Riviera @ $195/pp. The range of contract terms is not quite so stark, ranging from 37 years to 48 years.

Am looking to purchase the minimum 100pts and balance between the options above and am also looking for input from folks more knowledgeable than I, including:

- Is any resort "better" to own than any other? I understand that Grand Floridian is considered, by some at least, the "flagship" so is trying to purchase there vs. Riviera worth the premium?
- Are monorail resorts more desirable than those accessible by other means (OKW for example, by Boat and bus)? I know mechanical items have a tendency to breakdown (as found out directly during our December 2019 visit where we waited for an 1hr at Epcot for the monorail) but feel (superficially at least) that the closer to WDW the better.
- What are folks' thoughts about term? We'd be in the range of 85-95 when these come due (with kids, at that point, 10-13 years older than I am now) so is an older resort, with a shorter term worth the savings or going with a Riviera contract (including the restrictions)?
- What are the community's thoughts on saving the $$ and go with an older resort?

Have not ruled out buying additional points resale btw, the goal here is to get the "blue card" benefits as the wife puts it. Home resort and pricing are the sticky's for us.

Thoughts?

I’m confused. You said yourself that you discovered that the older, or “legacy” resorts (as some people refer to them, are actually dearer than Riviera buying direct. So where are these savings you think you will make by buying one of the legacy resorts?

When you look at the price per point over the years left you maybe get a better comparison of price. However you also need to look at the maintenance fees. Over the lifetime of your ownership you will pay more in maintenance fees than your initial costs.

What I would say is:

1) Buy where you want to stay, or at least where you would be happy to stay.

It’s getting harder to book, especially if you want a studio, even at the 11 month window. Also DVC peak times (by which we mean the times when point costs for a room are lower and therefore book faster) are not the same as WDW peak times. And DVC operates at 95% occupancy year round. So don’t bank on being able to switch at 7 months out.

2) Get a few more points than you think you’ll need, to allow for changes in the points charts. They can, and do, alter the points required at different times, and you may just find that it costs more in points when you want to go.

sourbear61

Original Poster
Hi Nicky's..thanks for the response. Apologies for the lack of clarity. There is one resort that is pricing under Riviera (and the other legacy resorts) by about $30.00/pp. We have typically stayed in mid-to-lower tier resorts (Port Orleans, Coronado Springs, Art of Animation) so just about anything is going to be nicer (and larger) than where we've typically have stayed. Some of our fav's are Polynesian and GF (not to mention they have a lot of character that seems to be missing from Riviera or Bay Lake). Guess we can pick up the points we can now, direct, and buy others, resale, as they and the funds become available.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

I'll add one basic item. Direct - no Resort is "Sold Out". You might have to wait 3 months for those "Direct" points.... but you can buy anywhere.

So BUY where you want to STAY, at the 11 month booking window?

I'm also going to suggest that you reverse your plan a bit?

1) Take the number of TOTAL points that you want at "where you want to STAY". This would be "A".
2) Subtract 100 (or the current number of "Direct Points" DVC requires for a BLUE CARD). This would be the number of INDIRECT Points you need at "where you want to STAY". This is "B".
3) Buy "B" Resale, for "where you want to STAY". Do this FIRST, get your best deal - you now have your desired "Use Year" - item "C".
4) Buy 100 points (or the current number of "Direct Points" DVC requires for a BLUE CARD) at "where you want to STAY" direct from Disney, demanding use year "C". Yes, a call to DVC will indicate that you have to wait. Just tell 'em if they want the money? These are your terms. Watch how fast they sell you ROFR & foreclosure points :). Personal bet? Inside of 3 months.

DW & I own 300 DIRECT points from WDW. Had we truly understood how the system currently works? We would have followed the above plan. The goal: ONE Home, ONE Use Year, and a BLUE CARD, at "where you want to STAY" with an 11 month booking window.

Now, this math may change as DVC demands more "Direct Points" for a BLUE card. Adjust accordingly.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

I have ran the numbers....at the current prices I can't see how that blue card is currently worth it, and as has often been said, the benefits can increase or decrease based on Disney's whims.

Chip Chipperson

We own at Animal Kingdom Lodge and love it, but I don't recommend it if quick access to Magic Kingdom is at or near the top of your wish list since the only transportation to any of the parks is by bus.

Poly is a great resort, but if you are thinking that you'll want to book 2-bedroom Villas then I would avoid it since they are limited to studios or bungalows (which cost quite a bit more than the studios).

If you want to be close to Magic Kingdom but don't have to be on the monorail then you might want to consider Boulder Ridge. The resort is themed well and you can take a boat to Magic Kingdom. When we stayed there, we actually took a tour of the Copper Creek rooms and preferred Boulder Ridge over the more modern looking Copper Creek - although with Copper Creek you have the benefit of being in the resort's main building.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I have ran the numbers....at the current prices I can't see how that blue card is currently worth it, and as has often been said, the benefits can increase or decrease based on Disney's whims.

You would have to gauge whether a $100 pp annual pass discount - which then oh so cleverly just “increased” to $176 🙄 - Combined with the longterm room cost savings is worth it.

All the other stuff is elaborate window dressing...those are the main numbers.

Lensman

One thing I think you should consider is how your 100 points purchased direct will interact with the points that you are going to purchase resale. Read @TheGuyThatMakesSwords' post. Using that strategy, you would buy direct at the same resort that you just bought resale, and in the same use year. This will simplify your bookings so you will be able to book using one big homogenous bunch of points instead of having the complications of dealing with two different batches.

If this doesn't appeal to you or if you feel like your resale purchase is "enough" points, then there are strategies that members here use when they buy small contracts to use for specific purposes like 100 points to use every 3 years for a stay at Boardwalk or a small batch of points to use for a Boardwalk studio for a few days during Food & Wine, etc.

Thinking about this, I think the best advice I could give you is to not buy direct until a year or two after you have had your resale points for a while. I am confident that after your first few trips using DVC, you will have a great idea of where you want to buy direct. You will also be certain whether you do or you don't - even more sure than you are now.

correcaminos

You would have to gauge whether a $100 pp annual pass discount - which then oh so cleverly just “increased” to $176 🙄 - Combined with the longterm room cost savings is worth it.

All the other stuff is elaborate window dressing...those are the main numbers.
AP savings are more than $100. $250 per person on average. Being eligible for Gold saves us about $400/person ($1015 for Plat renewal vs $611 Gold) Do not buy just to get perks, but that AP discount helps if you are a larger family. Even just 3 we save $1200 a year

sourbear61

Original Poster
We own at Animal Kingdom Lodge and love it, but I don't recommend it if quick access to Magic Kingdom is at or near the top of your wish list since the only transportation to any of the parks is by bus.

Poly is a great resort, but if you are thinking that you'll want to book 2-bedroom Villas then I would avoid it since they are limited to studios or bungalows (which cost quite a bit more than the studios).

If you want to be close to Magic Kingdom but don't have to be on the monorail then you might want to consider Boulder Ridge. The resort is themed well and you can take a boat to Magic Kingdom. When we stayed there, we actually took a tour of the Copper Creek rooms and preferred Boulder Ridge over the more modern looking Copper Creek - although with Copper Creek you have the benefit of being in the resort's main building.

Hi Chip - How do you guys like the boat transportation vs. other more traditional means? My gut says that the more transportation options the better (hence the stated preference for Monorail resorts that are closer to MK, have bus service and, of course, Monorail access). Having boat and bus sounds good in theory but how do they work out in practice?

sourbear61

Original Poster
Do NOT buy now. Just don’t. There is a fair chance of a full blown recession in the coming weeks/months and DVC has been overpriced.

Wait it out to see what happens and wait to see if they start to bring the price down with incentives
Agree completely! Not sure how long it would take for DIS to adjust, especially if what I read is true, and DVC is having issues selling RR.
Called DVC and they're really, really, pushing RR which makes me wonder just how poorly received it is. Would hope that they would read the tea leaves and see that they need to make adjustments to a poorly conceived rule / premium pricing. OTOH, if it is selling slow, would make booking there easier (for the short term at least) during more popular times, no?

Suppose we could book, in the short term, using cash and see how things play out (planning a November visit).

sourbear61

Original Poster
One thing I think you should consider is how your 100 points purchased direct will interact with the points that you are going to purchase resale. Read @TheGuyThatMakesSwords' post. Using that strategy, you would buy direct at the same resort that you just bought resale, and in the same use year. This will simplify your bookings so you will be able to book using one big homogenous bunch of points instead of having the complications of dealing with two different batches.

If this doesn't appeal to you or if you feel like your resale purchase is "enough" points, then there are strategies that members here use when they buy small contracts to use for specific purposes like 100 points to use every 3 years for a stay at Boardwalk or a small batch of points to use for a Boardwalk studio for a few days during Food & Wine, etc.

Thinking about this, I think the best advice I could give you is to not buy direct until a year or two after you have had your resale points for a while. I am confident that after your first few trips using DVC, you will have a great idea of where you want to buy direct. You will also be certain whether you do or you don't - even more sure than you are now.
Would the above apply if buying at RR and then using resale points there as well? Know there is a restriction on booking there using resale points but not sure if you can use resale points if you already have points at the RR.

What are your thoughts about buying direct at one of the older properties and then adding a smaller 25pt or so contract direct at RR (same use year)? Think that would work?

nickys

Premium Member
Agree completely! Not sure how long it would take for DIS to adjust, especially if what I read is true, and DVC is having issues selling RR.
Called DVC and they're really, really, pushing RR which makes me wonder just how poorly received it is. Would hope that they would read the tea leaves and see that they need to make adjustments to a poorly conceived rule / premium pricing. OTOH, if it is selling slow, would make booking there easier (for the short term at least) during more popular times, no?

Suppose we could book, in the short term, using cash and see how things play out (planning a November visit).

DVC will always push the newest resort. But if you really want a legacy resort, you just need to tell them that. You may have to wait a while, but they can get the points for you through ROFR (right of first refusal) when people sell their contracts.

nickys

Premium Member
Would the above apply if buying at RR and then using resale points there as well? Know there is a restriction on booking there using resale points but not sure if you can use resale points if you already have points at the RR.

What are your thoughts about buying direct at one of the older properties and then adding a smaller 25pt or so contract direct at RR (same use year)? Think that would work?

You can only use unrestricted points to book at RR. That means points bought directly through DVC or resale points bought before Feb 2019.

If you own 50 points at RR and buy a 200 point contract at OKW resale now, you can only use your RR points to book at RR. You cannot combine them even at the 7 month mark.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You can only use unrestricted points to book at RR. That means points bought directly through DVC or resale points bought before Feb 2019.

If you own 50 points at RR and buy a 200 point contract at OKW resale now, you can only use your RR points to book at RR. You cannot combine them even at the 7 month mark.
The two dumbest ideas In DVC history are:
1. Building on top of Caribbean beach
2. This 👆🏻

Last edited:

sourbear61

Original Poster

Dang...they really do box you in...and rather effectively too!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
DVC will always push the newest resort. But if you really want a legacy resort, you just need to tell them that. You may have to wait a while, but they can get the points for you through ROFR (right of first refusal) when people sell their contracts.

Don’t buy old properties direct. The prices are insane

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom