My Uncle is CRAZY!!! - Not planning

DANDAMAN1

So I have a trip planned for June. April 8th is when we make our FP+ reservations. We planned our trip last December. At the time, my Uncle said we wanted to go too.(my uncle, 2 cousins, cousin in law, and 2 second cousins) So he booked at same resort. Well, with our FP+ date approaching, I asked about linking so we can FP+ together. Told him I could do it for all of us, or at least help him do his selections.

Well....he doesn't want to plan. He just wants to go. Says he'll worry about it when he's there. Doesn't even know what parks he's gonna go to. Will decide when there. That just seems crazy to me. NO PLANNING? This isn't six flags. You have to do some planning. My other Uncle, his brother, is a Disney expert. Goes every year, sometimes twice. Says he's gonna regret it. I always thought "who goes to WDW and not plan ahead or get FP+'s?"...well my uncle is one.

Anyone else just go and hope for the best? Or, also feel this is crazy and he'll regret it?

Weather_Lady

So I have a trip planned for June. April 8th is when we make our FP+ reservations. We planned our trip last December. At the time, my Uncle said we wanted to go too.(my uncle, 2 cousins, cousin in law, and 2 second cousins) So he booked at same resort. Well, with our FP+ date approaching, I asked about linking so we can FP+ together. Told him I could do it for all of us, or at least help him do his selections.

Well....he doesn't want to plan. He just wants to go. Says he'll worry about it when he's there. Doesn't even know what parks he's gonna go to. Will decide when there. That just seems crazy to me. NO PLANNING? This isn't six flags. You have to do some planning. My other Uncle, his brother, is a Disney expert. Goes every year, sometimes twice. Says he's gonna regret it. I always thought "who goes to WDW and not plan ahead or get FP+'s?"...well my uncle is one.

Anyone else just go and hope for the best? Or, also feel this is crazy and he'll regret it?

He'll regret it, when the rest of you are waltzing into Flight of Passage with Fastpasses and your uncle and his family are left to choose between skipping it and hopping in a 120-minute standby line. Going without a plan only works if the whole party has the same philosophy and is willing to sacrifice the same experiences, or spend additional time in long lines, in the name of spontenaity.

Can you convince him to link up with you on MDE and let you make plans, not as plans per se, but as "options"? Maybe if you emphasize that he's free to change them all he wants after he gets there, spontaneously. Hopefully he'll be more receptive if he understands that letting you make Fastpasses, etc. for his family doesn't lock him into anything -- it just "frees his family up" to spend time with yours, doing what you're going to be doing and able to enter the same Fastpass lines and TS restaurants you'll be entering, without getting left behind or shut out.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

I hear you--I love planning and cannot imagine going without an itinerary. However, lots of people do it and apparently don't seem to mind. The only issue I would have is if your non-planning Uncle is likely to blow a gasket in the above scenario when you are in Fast Pass line and he is in a 2 hour stand-by. If he is OK with going with the flow, then don't worry about him. If he is a "Karen," then push him to conform.

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Everyone has different priorities. We just went with a couple who said they would have been happy in standby lines all day because they just like the atmosphere of Disney (and the ice cream).

So..... you do you. Stop worrying about him.

Upvote 0

Dave B

Just link him to your account and don't tell him, book his FP for him and surprise them, when he is about to get frustrated in the park that your are going on FoP and he has to wait, spring it on him and surprise him

Upvote 0

Dory71

I can see not planning if you have been several times and don't need to see or do everything. But if going with a group I would definitely have someone do some planning. My BIL and SIL go for long weekends with no FP's and they don't mind because they go so often. I on the other hand am a planner and need structure in place, even if we decide to change plans when we get there.

Upvote 0

DANDAMAN1

Original Poster
He'll regret it, when the rest of you are waltzing into Flight of Passage with Fastpasses and your uncle and his family are left to choose between skipping it and hopping in a 120-minute standby line. Going without a plan only works if the whole party has the same philosophy and is willing to sacrifice the same experiences, or spend additional time in long lines, in the name of spontenaity.

Can you convince him to link up with you on MDE and let you make plans, not as plans per se, but as "options"? Maybe if you emphasize that he's free to change them all he wants after he gets there, spontaneously. Hopefully he'll be more receptive if he understands that letting you make Fastpasses, etc. for his family doesn't lock him into anything -- it just "frees his family up" to spend time with yours, doing what you're going to be doing and able to enter the same Fastpass lines and TS restaurants you'll be entering, without getting left behind or shut out.

He knows it's free. But I like your idea. Maybe I'll get him to let me go ahead and do it for him as an OPTION.(after booking mine of course). But I even mentioned that if we link he can use my PhotoPass. Said that'd be cool, but not worried about it. LOL

Just link him to your account and don't tell him, book his FP for him and surprise them, when he is about to get frustrated in the park that your are going on FoP and he has to wait, spring it on him and surprise him

I have his reservation number and tried linking, but he has to ACCEPT. This is what started our conversation. I told him to ensure he did it by the 8th. He said not to worry cause he just wants to go with the wind. Last time he went they had paper FP's. So if anything he'll just use the kiosk for FP+'s.

Upvote 0

Pepper's Ghost

Some people are planners, and others are not. In fact, probably most are not. That's why I hate FP+. The old same-day FP system was fair to all whether you liked planning or not. Now, people who enjoy planning every step they take months in advance get a distinct advantage. I'm not sure why these individuals feel they're better than those who prefer to fly by the seat of their pants, but most like to say something like "well tough. we'll take advantage and you'll miss out." I hate that attitude. I begrudgingly plan things out because Disney has forced me to like they're my mom 30 years ago forcing me to do my English essay days in advance rather than the night before like I prefer.

I'd let your uncle know that his decision to just wing it will likely separate the group for several hours every day while you FP and go to other attractions and they wait in a 3 hour line, or just miss out. If he fully understands the repercussions of his decision and is good with it, so be it. And that's my point. Not planning 2 months in advance comes with repercussions... in Disney World. It's f*ing ridiculous. What fun vacation comes with such a ridiculous homework assignment. Maybe this is how Disney is trying to thin crowds... p*$$ 'em off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
My tattoo artist who is coming home today pretty much planned nothing and they had a TA book things but they had no idea what those things were when I asked a couple weeks ago.
I tried to give some last minute pointers.
I'm going to finish up my tattoo Friday so we'll see how he did lol.

Yeah it seems like people that have never been think its like going to your local amusement park.
Its like did you not even visit the website???
When I go somewhere I have not been I am sure to do a bit of research but apparently there are people out there that just want to fly by the seat of their pants and hey if it works for them then great but if it doesn't work they should be keeping their mouth shut about it lol.

Upvote 0

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Some people are planners, and others are not. In fact, probably most are not. That's why I hate FP+. The old same-day FP system was fair to all whether you liked planning or not. Now, people who enjoy planning every step they take months in advance get a distinct advantage. I'm not sure why these individuals feel they're better than those who prefer to fly by the seat of their pants, but most like to say something like "well tough. we'll take advantage and you'll miss out." I hate that attitude. I begrudgingly plan things out because Disney has forced me to like they're my mom 30 years ago forcing me to do my English essay days in advance rather than the night before like I prefer.

I'd let your uncle know that his decision to just wing it will likely separate the group for several hours every day while you FP and go to other attractions and they wait in a 3 hour line, or just miss out. If he fully understands the repercussions of his decision and is good with it, so be it. And that's my point. Not planning 2 months in advance comes with repercussions... in Disney World. It's f*ing ridiculous. What fun vacation comes with such a ridiculous homework assignment. Maybe this is how Disney is trying to thin crowds... **** 'em off.

Sorry but having "runners" and collecting fastpasses to use later than their window was not fair to all.

Upvote 0

Worldlover71

We have reached a point at WDW where those who plan and those who do not have very different experiences. I have had a few people tell me that their trip was just ok. When I asked them what was negative about it, almost everything could have been improved with a little planning (not every moment, just some basic stuff.) Those people probably won't become regular visitors, which, I guess, is good for the rest of us!

Upvote 0

Pepper's Ghost

Sorry but having "runners" and collecting fastpasses to use later than their window was not fair to all.

Not saying runners. Same-day FP doesn't mean runners. Why can't they just open FP up for rides in the app the morning of. Nothing but Disney says it can be 60 days out which requires you to map out your entire trip two months before. A lot can happen in two months. Let people live their lives until they get to Disney, at which time they have the same chance as everyone else to get a FP.

Upvote 0

Pepper's Ghost

Btw, why should "planners" get an advantage, but people with teenagers willing to run to their favorite attractions NOT get an advantage? I fit in neither of these categories, but don't see why planners should get an advantage over the athletically blessed. Why does Disney choose winners and losers?

Better yet, scrap FP and return standby lines to 30 mins instead of 120 or 180 mins.

Upvote 0

Pepper's Ghost

apparently there are people out there that just want to fly by the seat of their pants and hey if it works for them then great but if it doesn't work they should be keeping their mouth shut about it lol.

Wow. First of all, First Amendment, right? Does that still count for anything? How do you feel justified telling anyone to keep their mouth shut about anything? :mad:

Second, again... choosing winners and losers. Why should you as a "planner" get preferential treatment? Btw, I'm playing devil's advocate. I do plan ahead because it's necessary with their current system. I'd rather plan things out days before when I have a better idea of weather, what I'll feel like doing, ride closures, etc., but they force me to plan waaaaay in advance. I just don't understand looking down at people who are spontaneous. Not everyone is the same, but Disney is picking winners and losers resulting in vastly different "magical" experiences.

EDIT: Sorry this came across angry. :angelic: I really, really hate the FP+ system and the way Disney forces these decisions upon people so early in advance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

eliza61nyc

So I really do think it depends on the type of experience you want. Now I have gone and do go last minute and just wing it BUT
1)
I go often so if I don't ride a particular ride it's not a big deal.
2) Most of the time when I go last minute it's more of a relaxing type of vacation. I spend time at the resort, I'm taking pictures etc etc.
3) lastly, I try not to hold up the rest of my party.

Upvote 0

Susan Savia

We go every year (sometimes twice) and just got back from a February trip. We’ve never used the FP system and we get along fine. Did all the rides and shows we wanted. Only planning we do is planning ahead which park to visit (skip ones with morning early openings). We’re there for two weeks so if a particular ride has a long line, we just go on. No big deal. The idea of zig zagging thru parks and starring at a phone doesn’t appeal.

Upvote 0

Weather_Lady

Wow. First of all, First Amendment, right? Does that still count for anything? How do you feel justified telling anyone to keep their mouth shut about anything? :mad:

FWIW, the First Amendment only applies to the government or government actors: it means the government can't, in general, prevent citizens from speaking on matters of public concern, or retaliate against them for doing so. In contast, ordinary citizens can tell other ordinary citizens to shut up as much as they want (and in turn, the people they tell to shut up have the right to keep on talking) without infringing on the Constitution. :)

But to your point, I agree with your sentiment: I hate how WDW has turned its vacations into a "planning challenge" whereby contestants must compete to be the first to snatch up all the "magical" opportunities they can (FP+, ADRs, hotel discounts) before others get to them. It's especially frustrating when Disney has the power and money to increase the number of those "magical" opportunities, and refuses to.

It didn't used to be that way (and at Disneyland/CA, it still isn't!). Disney's transparent use of WDW pre-planning to engineer "the bare minimum for an acceptable level of guest satisfaction" (mimimum staffing at rides and restaurants, minimum hours of park operation, etc.) is a bad look for the company in the long term.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

kimberlymautz

FWIW, the First Amendment only applies to the government or government actors: it means the government can't prevent citizens from speaking on matters of public concern (or retaliate against them for doing so). Ordinary citizens can tell other ordinary citizens to shut up as much as they want (and in turn, the people they tell to shut up have the right to keep on talking) without infringing on the Constitution. :)

But to your point, I agree with your sentiment: I hate how WDW has turned its vacations into a "planning challenge" whereby contestants must compete to be the first to snatch up all the "magical" opportunities they can (FP+, ADRs, hotel discounts) before others get to them. It didn't used to be that way (at Disneyland/CA, it still isn't!), and I don't see why it has to be now.

As a parent of two, I will say that choosing FP+ ahead of time is nice because then I can plan out our day a little easier and can arrange our FP+ to we aren't running all over the place in too short of a time. If we went back to the old way, I'd never ride 3/4 of the rides I'd want because there's no way I can run with two little kids to get the passes for them.

On the flip side, I feel like Disney should do better. Offer a limited amount of FP+ for those that want to book ahead of time and then offer the old way for passes for people who'd rather do it that way. Unfortunately the parks are just too busy anymore to be able to get the wait times down. I just checked today and Splash is at 140 minutes, Test Track is at 55 minutes, Slinky Dog is at 95 minutes, and FoP is at 150 minutes. Even the Coronavirus isn't slowing Disney down.

I wish there were better and/or easier ways to go to Disney again without the insane crowds and wait times. Honestly, if my daughter wasn't going to be 9 and my son wouldn't still be free (he turns 3 while we're there) I wouldn't be going again for a while. I love Disney, always have, but I feel like planning isn't as fun anymore because there's so much to plan so far ahead of time which ruins some of the excitement. My upcoming trip is also going to end up costing over $2000 more then when we went in September/October (exact same week!) in 2016. Same time frame. Same resort. Same amount of park days. Same amount of people (last time we took my 2 year old niece with us). It's just insanity.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom