News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Disone

To be fair... if you’re not familiar with the system it does look like a station.

Now the guy on the scooter.... wow. Ha
I kind of disagree. Station has a platform that is level with the mode of transportation that moves through the station. I mean to me anyway. But apparently not to them.

Giss Neric

Since this has had time to settle now I think this is worth mentioning.

I've ridden the system a number of times now, and my entire family who is deafly scared of heights ride it and prefer it to all other forms of transit.

It's extremely smooth and efficient. Frankly, when the audio isn't playing, it's one of the most peaceful experiences you'll have. Which is a great thing since the height fears don't seem to be an issue at all any more than say the Monorail.
I personally think the on-ride audio/spiels makes a great conversation opener with others. I hate the awkwardness when you're seated with strangers and it's all quiet.

A Noble Fish

I personally think the on-ride audio/spiels makes a great conversation opener with others. I hate the awkwardness when you're seated with strangers and it's all quiet.
That's actually a great point especially if you're traveling solo. Usually, I was with my family alone, but one time there were these really sweet Japanese girls that we started talking to because we recognized their Tokyo Disneyland shirts.

Didn't think of it otherwise but that's a good point!

TrainsOfDisney

I kind of disagree. Station has a platform that is level with the mode of transportation that moves through the station. I mean to me anyway. But apparently not to them.

You have to go up about that same distance to get on the Epcot monorail, and you have to go up escalators to get on at the contemporary, so it’s not a strange idea to go up from the ground to a station.

I mean I’m not saying I would mistake it for a station, I’m just saying it’s not that crazy of an idea.

Oh yeah.... and when can we expect a “no ECV” sign added to the service roads! Lol

Disone

You have to go up about that same distance to get on the Epcot monorail, and you have to go up escalators to get on at the contemporary, so it’s not a strange idea to go up from the ground to a station.

I mean I’m not saying I would mistake it for a station, I’m just saying it’s not that crazy of an idea.

Oh yeah.... and when can we expect a “no ECV” sign added to the service roads! Lol
Not arguing you have to up.... But you go up to an elevated surface that is roughly even with the bottom of the transportation you are about to board. These are clearly still hanging in the air.

Goofyernmost

How is that different from the Monorail or a bus? Or one could just try and talk to another human being. I do it all the time and it really requires very little skill other then the ability to actually talk.

Giss Neric

How is that different from the Monorail or a bus? Or one could just try and talk to another human being. I do it all the time and it really requires very little skill other then the ability to actually talk.
Cause the Gondolas are more "intimate" and you're literally face to face with others on a very confined space. It may require very little skill for you to strike up a conversation but some people don't have the courage or guts to do it. Maybe they're very shy, maybe has anxiety etc. I used to would only speak unless spoken to but now I try to initiate the conversation especially since I know the parks well and the party I'm with are casual/first timers.

Goofyernmost

Cause the Gondolas are more "intimate" and you're literally face to face with others on a very confined space. It may require very little skill for you to strike up a conversation but some people don't have the courage or guts to do it. Maybe they're very shy, maybe has anxiety etc. I used to would only speak unless spoken to but now I try to initiate the conversation especially since I know the parks well and the party I'm with are casual/first timers.
I don't remember the monorails or buses being wide open spaces. You are along side and most of the time at butt level with those that are standing in front of you or along side you. You do face the others in a Monorail as well. You are in fact closer to other people in the bus, you just are not looking them in the face. It is just another excuse for hating the Gondola's that does not hold water. If anyone is uncomfortable on a Gondola because of an imagined danger or a social disorder, that is solved by not using one. Otherwise, there really is no need for the discussion.

NormC

I agree. We talk to people all the time on all of the different transportation options. It is fun to meet people from all over enjoying their vacations just like us.

Giss Neric

I don't remember the monorails or buses being wide open spaces. You are along side and most of the time at butt level with those that are standing in front of you or along side you. You do face the others in a Monorail as well. You are in fact closer to other people in the bus, you just are not looking them in the face. It is just another excuse for hating the Gondola's that does not hold water. If anyone is uncomfortable on a Gondola because of an imagined danger or a social disorder, that is solved by not using one. Otherwise, there really is no need for the discussion.
What made you think I made an excuse for hating the Skyliner? My main topic was communication in the first place. Busses and monorails are confined too but at least you don't have the problem of being worried about your conversation with your party without the other party fully and clearly hearing your conversation unlike the monorail or busses where there are MULTIPLE others guests inside that can drown it out. What I'm referring to in my comment is when you're alone with strangers.

Parker in NYC

We don't talk on the subway. I apologize in advance.

Goofyernmost

What made you think I made an excuse for hating the Skyliner? My main topic was communication in the first place. Busses and monorails are confined too but at least you don't have the problem of being worried about your conversation with your party without the other party fully and clearly hearing your conversation unlike the monorail or busses where there are MULTIPLE others guests inside that can drown it out. What I'm referring to in my comment is when you're alone with strangers.
It just sounded that way and BTW as a past bus driver I can tell you that everyone within 6 ft or more can hear everything you say to whoever is next to you as well as everything said in a monorail cabin. I hope I didn't ruin your transportation option, but seriously if you really believe that what you said is true, it is my duty to let you know the actuality. I used to hear conversations coming from the back of a 40 ft. bus when I was driving.

WDWFREAK53

Who are you having a conversation with if you are alone with strangers? If you're alone you're only talking to yourself. If you're talking to someone, you're talking with those strangers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom