Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway SPOILER Thread

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't know anything internally on this, but those may be what charge the ride vehicles? Because they definitely are not flat. Just my guess

They're flat. Arrows at the top show the direction of light. Arrows at the bottom show the light going in the 'wrong' direction.

1583462230928.png

Brer Oswald

Ugh, they should’ve went with the 30s Mickey aesthetic. It’s not the end of the world, and I love the new Mickey shorts, but the more I think about it, the more the classic design just fits better.

With the Classic style, you can fill the lobby with tasteful memorabilia to look at as your waiting. The story of going to see a new Mickey Mouse short premiere makes more sense because it’s in the style of the theatrical shorts, not cartoons made for TV. The title card would play the classic Minnie’s Yoo Hoo. The animation would be beautiful. The world would feel more cartoony with the technicolor palette and sketch lines. And of course, the animatronics could have looked normal, not awkward.

Alas. The shorts and the ride we got are still the best things to happen to Mickey in 50 years.

Magic Feather

They're flat. Arrows at the top show the direction of light. Arrows at the bottom show the light going in the 'wrong' direction.

View attachment 454219
Yeah, it's a trompe l'oeil effect for sure. Very well done, though.
See I was thinking that too but the shadows the cars cast on the rails look different heights?
ESYsmiHWAAEj3Wl

There'd be no reason for them to be real but this has me thinking otherwise.
In the load area the tracks are real, and stick out of the ground. They are merely painted once you reach the tunnel.

Magic Feather

But look at this.
View attachment 454224

This is concept art of the Disneyland queue. No reference to the current style here. It’s all classic. And now I’m very confused.
DL’s queue is a theater in Toontown/the toon world with an exhibit featuring props from previous cartoons (Think the original Chinese Theater queue from GMR, but with toon props). Then, they proceed into the theaters (seen in the back of the concept art) for a near identical pre-show followed by ride. Main diff is likely “enter the short film” vs. “enter the cartoon world” (since you’re already in the cartoon world). Basically, GMR’s premise scooted onto Toontown.

Castle Cake Apologist

See I was thinking that too but the shadows the cars cast on the rails look different heights?
ESYsmiHWAAEj3Wl

There'd be no reason for them to be real but this has me thinking otherwise.
In the load area the tracks are real, and stick out of the ground. They are merely painted once you reach the tunnel.

Well, I'll be. You're right. That's such a ridiculously cool detail.

Brer Oswald

DL’s queue is a theater in Toontown/the toon world with an exhibit featuring props from previous cartoons (Think the original Chinese Theater queue from GMR, but with toon props). Then, they proceed into the theaters (seen in the back of the concept art) for a near identical pre-show followed by ride. Main diff is likely “enter the short film” vs. “enter the cartoon world” (since you’re already in the cartoon world). Basically, GMR’s premise scooted onto Toontown.
But why not fill Chinese Theatre lobby with actual Mickey Mouse memorabilia? Old toys, posters, models, theatre marquees, etc.

TrojanUSC

Finally rode this today twice. Pre-show was very cool. Give it two months until the smoke effect disappears.

Ride was cute, felt very chaotic and the back vehicle really detracts from getting to enjoy the ride. The rooms "coming to life" from blackness is totally lost in the back vehicle and it seems like you have less time to enjoy what's going on.

Tornado scene was underwhelming, as was Daisy. Thought the real-looking dance studio would transform at the finale into something cool a la the Imagination finale.

Coolest part was the factory transforming, by a mile.

In all cute, frantic and definitely missing something.

As @marni1971 said, this ride would have been perfect elsewhere in the park. It's not a centerpiece ride.

Would have much preferred an updated GMR, with some new show scenes and a switchover to these kinds of vehicles to immerse you into the show scenes a bit more and take out some of the awkwardness with the bad CP/IP actors.

Tom Morrow

So originally I didn't like the idea of the waterfall screen scene, but it does allow that area to function as two different scenes instead of one. So there's that.

Ugh, they should’ve went with the 30s Mickey aesthetic. It’s not the end of the world, and I love the new Mickey shorts, but the more I think about it, the more the classic design just fits better.

With the Classic style, you can fill the lobby with tasteful memorabilia to look at as your waiting. The story of going to see a new Mickey Mouse short premiere makes more sense because it’s in the style of the theatrical shorts, not cartoons made for TV. The title card would play the classic Minnie’s Yoo Hoo. The animation would be beautiful. The world would feel more cartoony with the technicolor palette and sketch lines. And of course, the animatronics could have looked normal, not awkward.

Alas. The shorts and the ride we got are still the best things to happen to Mickey in 50 years.
My first reaction was that they could easily swap out the character designs, but nope. The backgrounds are all heavily stylized in the style of the backgrounds on the modern shorts. I love the modern shorts though and don't mind at all.

Ride was cute, felt very chaotic and the back vehicle really detracts from getting to enjoy the ride. The rooms "coming to life" from blackness is totally lost in the back vehicle and it seems like you have less time to enjoy what's going on.

Yep, there are several issues with timing that causes the back car to miss out on things, and a few things only the front car sees. Front car seems to be the best spot.

Tom Morrow

Where's the GMR/MMRR layout comparison at?
Both layouts are available on Google Image Search.

A basic rundown based on my rough back and forth, middle of the night and can't sleep estimate:

1. The vehicles load in almost the exact same spot as GMR's load.
2. The park scene is what was formerly backstage to the right of the old Marquee and tunnel.
3. The tunnel scene is approximately where Singin' in the Rain through Mary Poppins were.
4. The stampede scene takes up the space approximately halfway between where the Marry Poppins and Gangster scene were.
5. Goofy's engine bypass tunnel is approximately where the first part of the Gangster scene was.
6. The carnival scene is approximately where Footlight Parade and half of the Western scene were.
7. The tornado scene is where the Bank Robbery and first part of Alien were.
8. The waterfall scene is where Alien was.

Up to this point, the ride path is similar to GMR's, though it's important to note that the entire interior was gutted completely except the wall to the left of the loading area so this doesn't mean much. After this, it does not follow any sort of similar path.

9. The sewer scene - approximate location of Casablanca
10. The big city scene - Fantasia
11. The dance studio - first half of Munchkinland
12. Area between dance studio and factory - second half of Tarzan
13. Factory - Takes up what would have been all of Anubis and the first half of Tarzan, and portions of Gangster, Western, and Indiana Jones.
14. Rejoin with Goofy - Approximate location of Mummies scene.
15. Picnic - Second half of Munchinkinland, Emerald City, some of Tarzan and Mummies,
16. Unload area - Approximate location of Finale film
17. Exit theater (a recreation of the pre-show theater) - the area where the GMR vehicles would leave the finale and return to the loading dock.

So in other words there isn't really anything to go on, but you can ride and say "this is kind of sort of where X was!"

A Noble Fish

Looking at it again it seeks far inferior to an updated GMR would have been by a longshot, but it's still solid.

What were they thinking though with getting rid of GMR? Disneyland is doing it right.

But it at least only improves the park from what it was as a whole HWS is the best its ever been, and it's a great addition.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom