Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KBLovedDisney

Like I have said in other threads, I caught the flu the first day in on a random trip to Disney, and another time came home with mono.. Were there signs or warnings for me catching these? No. Is it always a possibility for that? Perhaps.

However, this virus is something different that we all need to be mindful of. It is spreading very quickly and staying away from areas where it could possibly manifest (large crowded/close-knit with random people/kids that touch everything) is probably a better thing to do right now just to take precautions.

Am I saying that you should avoid your favorite place in the whole wide world?

...that is totally up to you, but be warned. It could very quickly make its way there and you could either 1) catch it or 2) carry it and give to others without catching it yourself.

Be mindful folks, take precautions and for god's sake, WASH YOUR DANG HANDS!

There. I'm done.

Ariel1986

Thank you!

Doctors in Washington state have determined that the cases there have been around for at least 6 weeks. There are most likely hundreds of cases in every state by now. The only reason they haven’t been confirmed is because wide spread testing hasn’t been done yet in the US and 82% of cases are MILD!!!!

There are probably several hundreds of cases in the park as we speak.

Live your lives!!!

Honesly I'd go with there have problably been thousands of cases.

It can be so mild (and in some cases not show a single symptom) that tens if not hundreds of thousands could be, and will be walking around with it at some point.

I had a super horrible cold last week. Sore throat, bunged up, aching, sinus pain. For all I know that was it and I've spread it all around my town. The advice here (UK) is still that if you've not traveled to certain locations, or been in contact with people that have then don't worry abouy it.

Why more people aren’t realising this I’ve no idea.

This thread has been fascinating. This whole thing has made me question how some of the population manages to leave the house and makes it through day to day life 🤦🏻‍♀️

Piebald

This thread has been fascinating. This whole thing has made me question how some of the population manages to leave the house and makes it through day to day life 🤦🏻‍♀️
They're now saying the latest case in North Carolina is because that person visited the same nursing home where everyone in Washington got infected at.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

If there was a viral outbreak in New York City...and the feds/state suggested that public activities be postponed for say...2 weeks...and the nyc theater operators issued a statement postponing shows for that time period while the epidemiology and containment procedures were looked at...

How would you react to that?

What’s my point? I think we all know the answers would be basically in agreement - unlike here.

Why is it not the case now?

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
If there was a viral outbreak in New York City...and the feds/stare suggested that public activities be postponed for say...2 weeks...and the nyc theater operators issued a statement postponing shows for that time period while the epidemiology and containment procedures were looked at...

What’s my point? I think we all know the answers would be basically in agreement - unlike here.

And as @Ariel1986 should know from reading my posts, I am indeed in Manhattan. The ____ gets a little more real here for some of us life long New Yorkers. You know, when we live in major urban areas with limited medical services, millions upon millions of people, and nowhere to go.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And as @Ariel1986 should know from reading my posts, I am indeed in Manhattan. The ____ gets a little more real here for some of us life long New Yorkers. You know, when we live in major urban areas with limited medical services, millions upon millions of people, and nowhere to go.
Hell...the medical access/facilities in Orlando aren’t exactly “world class”...just because a hospital was built in 2004 and Disney donated a sculpture for the front...doesn’t mean it’s staffed with spectacular people...who are on the lower end of the payscale...just like your “club level” and “vip tour guides” aren’t 🤪

Ariel1986

If there was a viral outbreak in New York City...and the feds/state suggested that public activities be postponed for say...2 weeks...and the nyc theater operators issued a statement postponing shows for that time period while the epidemiology and containment procedures were looked at...

There has been no viral outbreak. There have been no feds/state suggestions that public gatherings be postponed for any amount of time. There has been two cases reported outside of Orlando.

And to quote @rmwebs again as I was in my original post:

“Honestly I'd go with there have problably been thousands of cases.
It can be so mild (and in some cases not show a single symptom) that tens if not hundreds of thousands could be, and will be walking around with it at some point.”

Do people honestly believe that these random cases have just only “appeared” or come ONLY from the 1 or 2 people who have come back from abroad? It’s more likely thousands already have this, so mild or without symptoms that it has already spread and it’s only now everyone is in panic mode and getting tested when showing symptoms that “out of nowhere” it’s popping up and a pandemic.

And to answer your question, yes I would still travel to these places if such things happened. I am just as likely to catch this in London (UK) where I live as I am if I travelled to New York. The virus is out there now. Most cases are mild if not non-symptomatic. Wash your hands. Have some common sense. Cest la vie.

Ariel1986

I’m from London in the U.K. you know, another urban area with millions of people.

disneygeek90

There has been no viral outbreak. There have been feds/state suggestions that public gatherings be postponed for any amount of time. There has been two cases reported outside of Orlando.

It can be so mild (and in some cases not show a single symptom) that tens if not hundreds of thousands could be, and will be walking around with it at some point.”

Do people honestly believe that these random cases have just only “appeared” or come ONLY from the 1 or 2 people who have come back from abroad? It’s more likely thousands already have this, so mild or without symptoms that it has already spread and it’s only now everyone is in panic mode and getting tested when showing symptoms that “out of nowhere” it’s popping up and a pandemic.

And to answer your question, yes I would still travel to these places if such things happened. I am just as likely to catch this in London where I live as I am if I travelled to New York. The virus is out there now. Most cases are mild if not non-symptomatic. Wash your hands. Have some common sense. Cest la vie.
"There has been no viral outbreak" is easier said than in actuality. The reality is people could already be carrying the virus as the incubation period seems incredibly long. The numbers in the USA have jumped significantly in 2 days. Yes it's not the worst virus in the world for some, but it is for others, and maybe some would just rather not catch this thing at all as opposed to hoping for a mild strain.

It's irresponsible to give others a hard time for changing any of their plans if they feel concerned. I live in Orlando so I don't have much of a choice and I'll still probably go to the parks on my normal cadence, but I will be a lot more mindful and aware of my surroundings.

KBLovedDisney

There has been no viral outbreak. There have been no feds/state suggestions that public gatherings be postponed for any amount of time. There has been two cases reported outside of Orlando.

And to answer your question, yes I would still travel to these places if such things happened. I am just as likely to catch this in London (UK) where I live as I am if I travelled to New York. The virus is out there now. Most cases are mild if not non-symptomatic. Wash your hands. Have some common sense. Cest la vie.
Yeah, no offense but....
Google cancels annual developer conference because of coronavirus concerns

Kenya suspends flights to and from Northern Italy

Sporting events in Spain will be played without audiences because of coronavirus

...etc

Lilofan

Yeah, but people are using common sense here...
Google cancels annual developer conference because of coronavirus concerns

Kenya suspends flights to and from Northern Italy

Sporting events in Spain will be played without audiences because of coronavirus

...etc
There would be a number of employees in the tourism industry that would be financially hurting.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I’m from London in the U.K. you know, another urban area with millions of people.

It was a hypothetical and you missed the point. Actually...I’m sure you didn’t miss it...I would guess you don’t want to hear it.

What we know is that the Chinese have had a hard time with it...Korea and Japan have enacted conservative precautions...and Italy is spooked beyond belief.

I’ve seen no health official Say “no biggie...have a lovely holiday”

...if they have - they should be fired. Caution is warranted when knowledge is not complete. Would I still travel? Yes I probably would. But it’s ridiculously arrogant to dismiss.

I’ll ask a less ambiguous question: how does geography affect my example? Where are we talking about? How does that change the mindset.

KBLovedDisney

Kind of crazy that this virus is affecting the entire freakin world (except Antartica...?), I mean that seriously blows my mind. Like we are all in this and anyone of us could get it.

I suddenly have the urge to stand on my desk and break out into a Status Quo song...:cautious:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom