News Spaceship Earth Refurb - 2 Year Closure

Jones14

Sounds like Mystic Manor’s conceit, just taken as a symbolic rather than literal ‘sparkle’ being applied to things as we ride through each scene. If the ride is shifting it’s focus from communications to storytelling, I’d imagine the light’s function will be to highlight what advances or improves the ability to tell stories. In Egypt’s case, it’s the hieroglyphics.

It’s not a bad idea (if unsubtle), but previously the narration called attention to the communications elements within the scenes, which leaves me to wonder what the narration’s purpose will be in this new version.

eddie104

I think people should be happy they are even keeping some of the original attraction but I’m no Epcot expert. I can’t wait to see what they are able to create using today’s technology. Projections are a part of any modern Disney ride so I don’t why all of the sudden people are acting brand new about that.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is it, though? It's too dim for me to see if they are actually projecting anything. :)

I had gotten into the habit that if I was going on SSE during daylight hours, to close one eye as I'm getting in the queue (almost always FP, which is almost always available day-of). Then I open it once in the dark tunnel. That way, one eye doesn't have day-blindness and I can see the first scene. I also close my eyes for the photo for the same reason.

True story.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I had gotten into the habit that if I was going on SSE during daylight hours, to close one eye as I'm getting in the queue (almost always FP, which is almost always available day-of). Then I open it once in the dark tunnel. That way, one eye doesn't have day-blindness and I can see the first scene. I also close my eyes for the photo for the same reason.

True story.
Sounds like a good method. I just wonder if someone might think you're winking at them. ;)

Tom P.

Apologies if this has already been answered, but do we have a reliable estimate for how long this closure will last, now that the start date has been officially announced?

Epcot82Guy

I really don't know why people are sad to see this updated. If there were one ride in Epcot that was grossly in need of refresh, it's this. SSE is a shell of itself circa 1985.

Not to speak for everyone, but I think it's concern about restraint and respect for the original. There's no doubt a refresh would be good, especially for the ride system itself. But, it's unclear about how current management would direct this - causing the concern.

It's sort of like that historic painting that was turned into basically a monkey during restoration.

DarkMetroid567

I think even if it's projection based I can be excited. I'm a big fan of projections as enhancements, when they are not the focus of the entire ride, ala the Disneyland dark ride refurbishments.

Brick Mason

Curious what will happen to fast passes that are booked already post closing date. I have a fastpass set for this already on 4/11. Is there any precedent for this. Will it turn to a muliple experience pass?

aladdin2007

if a particular individual is in charge of it, (the one who posted it on the blog),,,then Im even more concerned.
but I don't know how much involvement to it he has.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Curious what will happen to fast passes that are booked already post closing date. I have a fastpass set for this already on 4/11. Is there any precedent for this. Will it turn to a muliple experience pass?

Closing date is May 26, your 4/11 FP is good.
Edit: unless you mean November 4, in which case you will likely receive a new FP booking, for an attraction at Disney’s discretion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom