News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

Cesar R M

So, is Bob really leaving before the stocks tank thanks to the covid19 fears and closures?
Someone keep an eye on Bob's shares
If he sells them in a single package.. run for your lives :p

seascape

We can all disagree on the decision to make Bob Chapek CEO. I don't know what to think right now. However, I do think the timing makes sense. Bob Iger was going to retire in a little over a year. Having indecision over who will take over is not in anyone's interest. As for the streaming services and their further, they are well setup and will be profitable much sooner than was previously predicted. The next quarterly conference call is in May, well over a month after Disney Plus launches in Europe and India. On that call, Disney will be able to provide an update on when Disney Plus will become profitable. It will also be 2 months after FX in Hulu launches, so the streaming services should be well set. Iger wants to leave on top and he has accomplished what he wanted.

Going forward. we have to hope that Disney Plus and Hulu are as successful as Iger thinks they will be. We also need to pray that the Coronavirus is only a blip and that a cure is found. If it is worse than that, it doesn't matter who is running the company because themeparks and movie theaters will be killed. Disney will survive with its streaming services and cable channels because people will stay home for their entertainment but all themeparks will be killed because no one will travel to Orlando or to regional parks.

durangojim

Chapek just reported that 90% of parks and resorts CMs are being let go. He said that guests are the new CM and each one has their own story and role. He said that they can throw out their own trash and make their own beds and that the children can be used as servants to serve food and cook behind the scenes. It’ll save billions and we’ll all truly be part of the Disney family now.

Nubs70

So, is Bob really leaving before the stocks tank thanks to the covid19 fears and closures?
Someone keep an eye on Bob's shares
If he sells them in a single package.. run for your lives :p
If his compensation relied on a substantial amount of stock whose value per share is determined at the end of trading on the day of his resignation as CEO and is only fully vested at the last day of his contract.

He would have locked in the value of his compensation today.

His position of of creative consultant covers the vesting period.

In short, he sees bad things in the stock market on the horizon, locks in value of compensation, and has a make work position to cover the vesting period.

MagicWDI

A current CEO reporting to someone technically below him??

Has this ever happened before?
The CEO reports to the board. In this case will report directly to Executive Chairman, who has also been assigned creative oversight of the company. Pretty much Iger stripped all of his day-day duties but one, creative oversight, and handed the day-to-day operations to Chapek.

rreading

On the investor call linked in this thread and available for anyone to listen to, Iger states that he - as his new ~Executive Chairman~ role - will be intending to oversee the creative plans for Disney while Chapek learns to negotiate the business of running the company.

As much as I'm happy that I dumped my stock a week ago due to Corona, this perspective makes sense. The other posters arguing that if Chapek is a disaster then Iger may step back in are likely correct, in my opinion.

I do expect Iger to cash in his stock before it takes a beating, but this transition period leaves me hopeful. I do think that Iger has a hope to be remembered as one of Disney's great leaders, and for him to let it fall apart in the handoff doesn't ring true for me. I think that he does plan to make sure that Chapek knows what he's doing, or to support his ouster if needed.

Keeping my fingers crossed...which is about all that we can do...:(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom