HKDL gets new castle, frozen land and marvel land.

HKDLer

It looks like there is construction near RC racer, or they are building frozen coaster structure there?
Those are construction site offices and material storage.

if they dont use the plot on the other side of the railroad tracks, the E-ticket is going to be much smaller in scale than expected...
My inside source said a ToT-style ride (not Mission Breakout) is coming to the plot where the Autopia station sits. That still leaves room for further additions given the small footprint the building encompasses. Another reason could be that the suits wanted an existing and proven ride system that is easy to build. But that's only my personal thought.

Last edited:

Ismael Flores

Latest satellite images from Google
View attachment 443005
Land for Avengers E-ticket has almost been cleared.

Its too bad that they can not expand the park towards the mountains. Looks like there is a nice chunk of land between the waterway and the mountains.

Also anyone know what the deal is with the land that was suppose to be their Downtown Disney and the second gate? Is that the land that is being debated whether they should use it for housing? That would be a shame if that was to happen

ThemeParkTraveller

Its too bad that they can not expand the park towards the mountains. Looks like there is a nice chunk of land between the waterway and the mountains.

Also anyone know what the deal is with the land that was suppose to be their Downtown Disney and the second gate? Is that the land that is being debated whether they should use it for housing? That would be a shame if that was to happen

The area directly beyond the waterway looks flat in that image, but it's actually part of the mountains and unsuitable for development. There's pretty much no area beyond the berm where the current park can expand.

The lease for the second gate expansion pad expires this year but can be extended until 2030 at the latest. As you mentioned, Disney is facing strong pressure from the government to put the land to better use.

PymParty

My inside source said a ToT-style ride (not Mission Breakout) is coming to the plot where the Autopia station sits. That still leaves room for further additions given the small footprint the building encompasses. Another reason could be that the suits wanted an existing and proven ride system that is easy to build. But that's only my personal thought.

So HK is not going to share the Avengers E-ticket with DCA as everyone was expecting ? How disappointing... this could really have been the large headliner ride with a huge IP that would have put HKDL on the bucket list and completed the offering, as the only things really missing now at HKDL are an outdoor water ride and a large scale E-ticket.

Robbiem

My dream for HK, besides the Avengers e-ticket, is a log flume beside Grizzly Glutch and perhaps a small dark ride in Fantasyland (even some little Moana dark ride in Adevntureland will do, if there was no other available space).

a flume ride would be great - either in grizzly gulch or adventureland. Fantasyland could do with some more dark rides as well to round it out. I’d really love Hong Kong to add different rides to really make it stand out, not every park needs pooh, pan, pinochio etc

so give the flume an original theme or an IP different to splash (Moana, Jungle book) and add dark rides from different movies like sleeping beauty or even nightmare before Christmas

i really think this would be a good way for hong kong to go. Make it full of exclusive rides you cant see elsewhere and encourage more people to dee this fantastic resort

BrianLo

Certainly the magic of Hong Kong Disneyland in some ways is the stronghold master planning of the resort itself, that cannot be compromised by urban sprawl or Disney's ineptitude (yet - at least!).

I am sure (or hopeful) come 2030 the resort will be sitting in a different position than it is unfortunately sitting today. But, the HK Legco certainly isn't spending adverse. Ocean Park also has totally stuttered to a halt and also managed to just get a nice spending package from them.

That said, I really imagine Disney is going to totally drag their feet all the way until 2030 for a second gate. If they don't pressure/negotiate for a 3rd extension.

Realistically, there is a 'third' expansion in line for the 2026-2028 period to fill in the aforementioned expansion pads (Toy Story plot/Arrendale and the Grizzly Gulch plot). The latter could either accommodate quite the large scale E-ticket or even two major attractions if they do not keep the Pavilion space.

The park also needs to be sustainably making money in 2025 if a second gate is ever going to be a thing.

What they also need to think about is their downtown district. Even frankly just starting very, very slowly with a World of Disney Store and Starbucks as a partner between the gate promenade and parking lot/train section would make sense. Something needs to occur there to test the waters and see if any foot traffic would be interested.

HKDLer

My dream for HK, besides the Avengers e-ticket, is a log flume beside Grizzly Glutch and perhaps a small dark ride in Fantasyland (even some little Moana dark ride in Adevntureland will do, if there was no other available space).
I’d love to see a Moana boat ride in the style of Navi River Journey. Imagine boarding the canoes in the cavern scene and hearing Moana’s ancestors sing about their ocean discovery.

69B47C14-17BB-4850-BD11-5BA3DC3E7036.jpeg

In the park opening layout plan (lost it, taken by tdrfan from MiceChat) Tahitian Terrace and the land behind it is reserved for a future ride.

Edit: found it
815E5B32-1BA1-4854-948E-8D8032A8F6DC.jpeg

In the Parks
Yes
I’d love to see a Moana boat ride in the style of Navi River Journey. Imagine boarding the canoes in the cavern scene and hearing Moana’s ancestors sing about their ocean discovery.

View attachment 443475
In the park opening layout plan (lost it, taken by tdrfan from MiceChat) Tahitian Terrace and the land behind it is reserved for a future ride.

Edit: found it
View attachment 443476
I think that plot of land is utilised to build Plaza Grounds now?
Sad, I would actually prefer them demolishing Tahitian Terrace and build a ride in Adventureland
Adventureland has a good jungle theming, but it desperately needs some more rides

HKDLer

I think that plot of land is utilised to build Plaza Grounds now?
Sad, I would actually prefer them demolishing Tahitian Terrace and build a ride in Adventureland
Adventureland has a good jungle theming, but it desperately needs some more rides
Tahitian Terrace and Plaza Grounds (temporary structure) can both be dismantled in a short time to make way for something new.

hkdisky

Is it possible to fully utilize the space (reserve roads for backstage) around the Theater in the Wild to build a Moana land? 😂

They could also build a dark ride next to the River View Cafe, something like Ratatouille: The Adventure would be great. Although I don’t like the rides rely too much on screen, HKDL really lacks dark rides (unique rides as well).

HKDLer

Is it possible to fully utilize the space (reserve roads for backstage) around the Theater in the Wild to build a Moana land? 😂

They could also build a dark ride next to the River View Cafe, something like Ratatouille: The Adventure would be great. Although I don’t like the rides rely too much on screen, HKDL really lacks dark rides (unique rides as well).
I don't know. The TITW queue area and the gap between River View Cafe and FL buildings are EVA (Emergency Vehicle Access) so they might need to work on that. Hong Kong has one of the tightest and most conservative building/fire safety regulations and a lot of the times the design is compromised. For example, Space Mountain HK has the least impressive station compared with the 'identical' versions in California and Tokyo.

PymParty

From MiceChat user Westsider : " I got a buddy in Facilities who told me yesterday about all the problems going on in Hong Kong even before the Corona Virus arrived. Basically all Hong Kong park expansion except for the Castle remake has been indefinitely delayed or outright cancelled. Frozen Land is delayed to later in the decade, Avengers E Ticket in Tomorrowland is cancelled for now, etc. There were DLR Facilities managers working on these projects for the Hong Kong team - and a month ago those managers were recalled back to Anaheim because all of their Hong Kong projects were being iced for at least the next few years.

This all happened for Hong Kong before Christmas - long before the Corona Virus broke out last week. But my buddy said the Facilities managers were told to keep ultra quiet on it and that Disney has already delayed a fiscal report on the Hong Kong property that was supposed to come out next month. Except for the Castle remake - almost all future Hong Kong Disneyland projects were iced by Colglazier and Cheapek back in December once the park attendance in Hong Kong collapsed because of the anti-Communist protests by the people there. Business in Hong Kong Disneyland is really bad and that was even before the Corona Virus showed up."

What do you think about this news ? I can't believe its true, Frozen seems to be progressing at a good pace and land has been cleared for Avengers already. But on another side, it wouldn't surprise me...

Animaniac93-98

What do you think about this news ? I can't believe its true, Frozen seems to be progressing at a good pace and land has been cleared for Avengers already. But on another side, it wouldn't surprise me...

Construction on both Frozen and Avengers is still happening. They started demoing the Autopia load area and putting up the wire frame for the Frozen mountains. Pictures were posted to twitter.

It would be really stupid and short sighted to stop building Frozen now.

HKDLer

Disney is also a minority stakeholder in the resort, would they have the authority alone to halt construction and impact local HK jobs?
Hong Kong's situation is a bit complex - the resort is owned by the HKSAR-Disney (53:47) joint venture Hongkong International Theme Parks, but is managed by the HKDL Management Company which is completely owned by Disney. Recent DPEP layoffs, unfortunately, do apply to the resort.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom