News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

UNCgolf

They could stager the BG releases. Make certain amount available per hour or maybe break it down in 25% increments (BG 1-25 available at 7am then 26-50 at 11am,etc)

We had a discussion about this in another thread -- or maybe earlier in this one!

I think that's how they should do it. It's more equitable (gives more people a chance to get a BG) and also allows for significantly more flexibility for Disney operations. If they're having ride issues, they can just issue fewer BGs for the day.

UNCgolf

In other words, make it a lottery and thus someone who goes for one day in their entire life cannot ride if they do not get lucky.

Having it all release in the morning guarantees that if you want to ride it you can ride it.

No it doesn't. People with families (i.e. a huge portion of Disney visitors) often don't have the luxury of showing up at 6:30 or whenever they feel like it. Plus, if enough people decide to show up at 6:30 a bunch of them would still be unable to ride. It only works like that at the moment because there aren't enough people showing up that early.

RobWDW1971

They could stager the BG releases. Make certain amount available per hour or maybe break it down in 25% increments (BG 1-25 available at 7am then 26-50 at 11am,etc)
Not a fan of this idea - at least in the current system by 7:02 am I know if I’m getting on and can then broadly plan my day. If I don’t get a pass, I can come back another day and try again.

In the staggered scenario, I now spread that same stress throughout my day - try at 7:00, try at 11, try at 1, with each time having more people chasing fewer BG’s. Now I have to plan my meals and attractions around ensuring I am read to finger smash at all of those times. And I could still end up in the late afternoon without a BG and have spent the entire day there and have to do it all over again the next day.

Or, you go to a system like DL used when they opened SWGE and book reservations in advance, which opens an entirely new set of issues.

The current system is, in my opinion, the best of the bad ideas. The issue is having an E ticket with C level capacity.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

So what about the person that is just a little too slow and would have had group 26 in the morning? Then they’re a little too slow and miss it at 11am too? At least now you have 5-10 minutes to be slow and still have a guaranteed group. I can’t even imagine how quick 25 groups mid day would go. It would be under 30 seconds.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If you release BGs throughout the day, then you trap those who missed an earlier group to stick around for the next lottery. And if they miss that, to stay for the next. Then you wind up with people complaining they waited all day and couldn't ride. It also doesn't stop the issue of someone showing up later in the day and missing out; then they'll complain they showed up for nothing and wasted their time.

When you have guaranteed losers because there are more people that want to ride than can be accommodated, there is no perfectly fair system.

There is a system convenient for Operations... and that's what they're using.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you release BGs throughout the day, then you trap those who missed an earlier group to stick around for the next lottery. And if they miss that, to stay for the next. Then you wind up with people complaining they waited all day and couldn't ride. It also doesn't stop the issue of someone showing up later in the day and missing out; then they'll complain they showed up for nothing and wasted their time.

When you have guaranteed losers because there are more people that want to ride than can be accommodated, there is no perfectly fair system.

There is a system convenient for Operations... and that's what they're using.

You say 'trapped' others say 'another opportunity'. No one is trapped, if they want to give up, they can do so. But it also makes it so more than one group has a shot. Of course it's taking from Peter to give to Paul.. none of the options create more bread... but it does make it so Peter, Paul, and Mary who all may have different visiting patterns a shot at the availability window.

UNCgolf

The vast majority of families are up at that time every day of the week dealing with getting their kids ready for school or daycare or whatever.

People are making a mountain out of a mole hill...

Yeah, but Disney is supposed to be a vacation. Not about dragging your kids out of bed at 5:30-6 AM so you can try to get on a ride. I don't have kids, so not an issue for me, but I have a friend who was there a couple of weeks ago with his wife and their 7 year old and 4 year old -- they wanted to ride RotR, but his 4 year old was dead asleep on their Hollywood Studios day and he and his wife said there was no way they were going to wake him up at 5:30 when he was sleeping soundly because it would screw up the whole rest of the day. That he'd likely have an exhaustion meltdown around noon or so and they'd have to go back to the hotel for a couple of hours, so even if they did get a BG there's no guarantee they'd have been able to use it. And I've read other similar stories -- those are the kind of considerations families have that individuals/childless people don't.

I think if the park (or just the boarding groups) opened at 9 AM or 10 AM instead of 7 AM that would solve a lot of the problems for families. That's obviously not going to happen, though.

I also completely agree with your last post, and I still think it would make things easier for park operations to do it that way.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
You say 'trapped' others say 'another opportunity'. No one is trapped, if they want to give up, they can do so. But it also makes it so more than one group has a shot. Of course it's taking from Peter to give to Paul.. none of the options create more bread... but it does make it so Peter, Paul, and Mary who all may have different visiting patterns a shot at the availability window.

"Trapped" is the implied cry of having to be there at rope-drop, too. It's a characterization of being forced to do something. If they're "trapped" into showing up at rope drop with is horrible because you might not get to ride and even worse, it's early, then a release of BGs through the day will also trap them into behavior they don't like.

But you're right, they're not really forced into anything. When FoP opened and I couldn't get FP+, I refused to wait in 5 hour lines. So, in my trip to WDW, I didn't ride the brand now hot ride. But I was able to the next trip. I lived.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yeah, but Disney is supposed to be a vacation. Not about dragging your kids out of bed at 5:30-6 AM so you can try to get on a ride. I don't have kids, so not an issue for me, but I have a friend who was there a couple of weeks ago with his wife and their 7 year old and 4 year old -- they wanted to ride RotR, but his 4 year old was dead asleep on their Hollywood Studios day and he and his wife said there was no way they were going to wake him up at 5:30 when he was sleeping soundly because it would screw up the whole rest of the day. That he'd likely have an exhaustion meltdown around noon or so and they'd have to go back to the hotel for a couple of hours, so even if they did get a BG there's no guarantee they'd have been able to use it. And I've read other similar stories -- those are the kind of considerations families have that individuals/childless people don't.

as someone who has successfully raised three kids to be adults... I can only say they made a choice for themselves, not a choice that had to be made.

This isn't anyone telling people they have to be up at 5am every day on their vacation, etc...

But I bet if you asked them what time they had to get up to get to the airport or drive... you might see a different light :)

MisterPenguin

Premium Member

I think if the park (or just the boarding groups) opened at 9 AM or 10 AM instead of 7 AM that would solve a lot of the problems for families. That's obviously not going to happen, though.

There are many school districts which require that type of schedule.

Many of those families probably had to start their drive to WDW or get to the airport at that time.

They have the option of not going to DL or not riding RotR until such time that they change the gatekeeping so that it's more convenient for the family. No one is guaranteed to be on a specific ride of a park when they visit that park. And if that uncertainty is unbearable, don't bear it. Opt out until a later time.

SplashJacket

No it doesn't. People with families (i.e. a huge portion of Disney visitors) often don't have the luxury of showing up at 6:30 or whenever they feel like it. Plus, if enough people decide to show up at 6:30 a bunch of them would still be unable to ride. It only works like that at the moment because there aren't enough people showing up that early.

See, if waking up early is a minor inconvenience how about the people who literary fly or drive across the country to experience the resort? Should Disney build a park in everyone's backyards in order to make it the most convenient thing possible?

I do not know about you, but I would much rather enjoy the park as a whole while my boarding group is inching closer rather than being in queue for 4 hours. I would argue that such a horribly long queue is far more inconvenient.

I think the main thing about the boarding group system is those who actually want to ride get to ride the ride.

Fastpass+ has created a system where people book rides they would otherwise not go on simply because it is the only thing available. This has lead to long lines for rides which have previously had next to no line. A prime example of this is figment.

If Rise had a Fastpass or staggered released boarding group system people who would otherwise not really care about the ride would reserve a spot simply because they were able to.

If you are in the park before 7:00 you are essentially guaranteed a boarding group. I rode the attraction three times. I got boarding group 103, 102, and 52. I was in the parks about 10 minutes past 7:00 on two separate weekends for the first two. The 52 was a Saturday. Unless the ride is just in a really bad mood you are for all intents and purposes guaranteed a ride.

The boarding group system basically just weeds out people who do not really care enough to ride while letting people who do really want to ride experience it all the while avoiding lines that can turn the most stable insane.

The system is an absolute win. It is far from perfect but I have not seen anyone else suggest a system that does not have more glaring faults.

flynnibus

Premium Member
"Trapped" is the implied cry of having to be there at rope-drop, too. It's a characterization of being forced to do something. If they're "trapped" into showing up at rope drop with is horrible because you might not get to ride and even worse, it's early, then a release of BGs through the day will also trap them into behavior they don't like.

It's just the opposite. They wouldn't have to be at rope drop if they didn't want to. They only have to be there for the number of options that they want to... of course the less chances they give themselves, the less probability they give themselves of scoring a ride.. but the point is it gives them the choice... rather than forcing everyone into one specific pattern.

Rolling availability opens up the opportunity to alot more people. But in doing so, it also makes it more difficult to actually get a pass at each window because there is less availability in the pool, and more people trying!

The better system is actually a weighted lottery... where there are multiple drawings and each time you miss, your entry is weighted more for the next drawing. That way people that match their commitment to their interest have the best chance to actually ride.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
It's just the opposite. They wouldn't have to be at rope drop if they didn't want to. They only have to be there for the number of options that they want to... of course the less chances they give themselves, the less probability they give themselves of scoring a ride.. but the point is it gives them the choice... rather than forcing everyone into one specific pattern.

Rolling availability opens up the opportunity to alot more people. But in doing so, it also makes it more difficult to actually get a pass at each window because there is less availability in the pool, and more people trying!

The better system is actually a weighted lottery... where there are multiple drawings and each time you miss, your entry is weighted more for the next drawing. That way people that match their commitment to their interest have the best chance to actually ride.

My better system is a lottery/FP hybrid...

I would think a lottery system in which every day you can put your group in for a chance "to board" seven days later with a portion set aside for resort guests that can put in for the lottery two days advance. If you "win" you receive a time to show up. Winners blacked out from winning again for a month.

Resort guest have access to the seven day and two day lotteries. Locals have access to the seven day lottery year round.

Not totally perfect, but very fair.

No problem of gate rushers trying to beat everyone else so they can ride. No promises to be broken about opening time. No need to open early unexpectedly. No system of "to the hardy go the spoils."

No one shows up trying to ride and being turned away. By two days ahead of time, everyone knows if they have a ticket to ride or not.

SplashJacket

If an individual only has one day at HS and visits once every 10 or so years and their only goal for the day is to ride Rise so they rope-drop the park and are unable to secure the first batch of boarding groups. Not to fret, more groups will open in two hours. Those two hours will be spent enjoying the park. However, once the time comes, no luck. The process continues until about 2:00 when the individual has done everything in the park once and have nothing else to do but wait until the next batch opens. Once it arrives the individual is still out of luck but has one more opportunity to snag a group but does not get in.

Staggered groups just force people to stay in the park for a chance to ride. Yes, they can leave but if an individual's only goal is to ride the ride they have absolutely no guarantee in the slightest.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My better system is a lottery/FP hybrid...

No one shows up trying to ride and being turned away. By two days ahead of time, everyone knows if they have a ticket to ride or not.

The problem with all advance scheduling systems is... how to pickup slack for no shows? You're back to basically having a stand-by line... or doing BGs day of.. and back to people crushing to get a same day BG.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Staggered groups just force people to stay in the park for a chance to ride. Yes, they can leave but if an individual's only goal is to ride the ride they have absolutely no guarantee in the slightest.

Isn't that why people are at the parks to begin with... to be in the parks?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom