The Integration of Fox into the Disney Corporate Family: Parks, Movies, IPs, Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Some more post-merger changes: Peter Chernin is officially parting ways with 20th Century Fox.

He recently produced "Ford v. Ferrari."

The split was a mutual and amicable one, driven by the simple fact that Disney rarely brings on third-party partners to finance its feature films.

Huh?

Disney Studios is always partnering with many 3rd party production companies. I sometimes wonder if Disney Studious knows how to make a film any more without the help of some other studio.

If they're splitting with Chernin, it's not because of that reason.

Darkprime

Cant help but wonder if this is a move to try and elevate any anti-trust concerns as well. Given the concerns among critics with how big Disney has gotten. What Disney are doing here is essentially rebooting 20th Century Fox. Dropping the Fox brand is basically stripping the studio of any real value it currently has outside of its IPs which the majority of will or have already moved under Walt Disney Studios or Marvel Studios etc. Losing the Fox name means it loses the industry wide prestige its held for the past 80-90 years. And its now essentially an indie studio owned by Disney thats starting from scratch. I wonder if they'll sell the Fox name to another studio. Maybe Amazon or Netflix or just sell it back to Murdoch or something?

Indy_UK

For the insane amount of $$$ that Disney paid for Fox, it already feels like they are watering it down so much that there isn’t much left.

Yes they got Hotstar and another 30% of Hulu through the deal but the IP surely wasn’t worth the rest?

Darkprime

For the insane amount of $$$ that Disney paid for Fox, it already feels like they are watering it down so much that there isn’t much left.

Yes they got Hotstar and another 30% of Hulu through the deal but the IP surely wasn’t worth the rest?

Well everyone knows Disney over paid by 15-20% cause of Comcast. What I still dont get is why Disney had to buy basically the entire 21st Century Fox empire. Its just came with so much bloat. I guess with Murdoch it was an all or nothing deal. But If I was Disney I would have tried to just get the film and tv studios / assets (20TCF,20THTV,FX,NatGeo) and maybe Hulu. Give Starz to someone else like a Comcast who actually has more experience running those sort of operations. And leave out the Fox Sports stuff. Would have been so much cheaper. Maybe leave the Fox brand with Murdoch too.

Darkprime

On the bright side. With the news of the Fox rebranding it probably means were close to a full integration of Fox into Disney which hopefully means 20th Century films will be distributed under Buena Vista soon.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
On the bright side. With the news of the Fox rebranding it probably means were close to a full integration of Fox into Disney which hopefully means 20th Century films will be distributed under Buena Vista soon.

We'll see....

I can see Disney wanting to keep 20th C and Search separate, though. The first, to keep R-rated films away from the Disney brand. And the second for prestigious art film cred and appearances in film festivals and Oscar bait.

Indy_UK

Iger is going to get grilled soon as to what’s happening. There’s a rough idea of movie release slate but beyond that, not alot

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Original Poster
Iger is going to get grilled soon as to what’s happening. There’s a rough idea of movie release slate but beyond that, not alot

Grilled about what?

He's been the one announcing a lot of Fox studio resources (20thC, Searchlight, TV) will be diverted to D+. That's going to make investors happy to see D+ succeed.

Shouldn't that also calm people's fear that Disney is monopolizing the theatrical film space?

Twilight_Roxas

Grilled about what?

He's been the one announcing a lot of Fox studio resources (20thC, Searchlight, TV) will be diverted to D+. That's going to make investors happy to see D+ succeed.

Shouldn't that also calm people's fear that Disney is monopolizing the theatrical film space?
Not the Democrats.

Stripes

...Disney+ and Hulu, from the comments made in earnings calls.

Bob Iger:
The FX presence on Hulu – combined with original production from our ABC and Fox television studios and our Fox movie studios, including Searchlight – will greatly enhance Hulu’s consumer proposition.

Slpy3270

Disney has agreed to sell FoxNext Games to mobile game developer Scopely.

For the record, FoxNext as a whole is not being sold; only the video game division. The rest of the company is likely being absorbed into other Disney units as we speak.

Also from Variety:
The acquisition does not include the separate portfolio of Fox intellectual property licensed games titles, which will continue to be a part of Disney’s licensed games business.

Makes me wonder if Disney Interactive Studios has the rights to The Simpsons Hit and Run and wants to get someone to remake the game.

Twilight_Roxas

EA still has the game rights to The Simpsons so they would have to get the original creators to remake the game. Hopefully Disney could let Konami remake The Simpsons arcade game.

bartholomr4

As a comparison for Disney's upcoming Year end results, Comcast released their year end earnings today. Highlights include:
  • Sky revenue down 4.7% year over year. Adjusted EBITDA plus 7.1% (post cost savings)
  • Parks Revenue up 4.4% year over year (5.9 Billion vs 5.6 Billion). Adjusted EBITDA is flat (0%) change (2.4 Billion vs 2.4 Billion)
  • Long Term Debt down 19.4 Billion to 97.7 Billion vs 107.3 Billion
  • Scheduled 2020 Debt reduction is 4.5 Billion vs 4.3 Billion in 2019
  • Overall Comcast Revenue up to $109 Billion vs 94.5 Billion (Due to consolidation of Sky not present in early 2018)
  • Overall Comcast EBITDA 34.5 Billion in 2019 vs 30.165 in 2018 (Mainly due to consolidation of Sky not present in early 2018)
  • Earnings per share $3.13 in 2019 vs $2.73 in 2018
The company has not released the detail which will provide investments in the parks and domestic vs international. I'll update once that information is released.

seascape

As a comparison for Disney's upcoming Year end results, Comcast released their year end earnings today. Highlights include:
  • Sky revenue down 4.7% year over year. Adjusted EBITDA plus 7.1% (post cost savings)
  • Parks Revenue up 4.4% year over year (5.9 Billion vs 5.6 Billion). Adjusted EBITDA is flat (0%) change (2.4 Billion vs 2.4 Billion)
  • Long Term Debt down 19.4 Billion to 97.7 Billion vs 107.3 Billion
  • Scheduled 2020 Debt reduction is 4.5 Billion vs 4.3 Billion in 2019
  • Overall Comcast Revenue up to $109 Billion vs 94.5 Billion (Due to consolidation of Sky not present in early 2018)
  • Overall Comcast EBITDA 34.5 Billion in 2019 vs 30.165 in 2018 (Mainly due to consolidation of Sky not present in early 2018)
  • Earnings per share $3.13 in 2019 vs $2.73 in 2018
The company has not released the detail which will provide investments in the parks and domestic vs international. I'll update once that information is released.
Parks were very disappointing. In fact. they basically said to wait until 2021 for an improvement. As an indirect stockholder in my EFTs, I had hoped for better results. Now it's time to see if Galaxy Edge had a positive effect at WDW for the quarter. I expect it did because when I was there in November, the crowds I saw i. HS were the largest I ever saw during that time plus the parking lot was full.

bartholomr4

Parks were very disappointing. In fact. they basically said to wait until 2021 for an improvement. As an indirect stockholder in my EFTs, I had hoped for better results. Now it's time to see if Galaxy Edge had a positive effect at WDW for the quarter. I expect it did because when I was there in November, the crowds I saw i. HS were the largest I ever saw during that time plus the parking lot was full.

I also think the company is struggling to decide on investing in the parks vs in Wireless and Network Upgrades, and paying down debt. We'll see when the 8K comes out in a month or two!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom