News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Tom Morrow

It wasn't Disney's practices that caused people to arrive earlier and earlier, it was other people setting further and further benchmarks about commitment to what it took to be 'ahead of the pack'. Disney opening the gates early was just being elastic to that problem.

Holding back the pack breaks, partially, the spirit of first come first served. It sort of sounds like you actually prefer a bit of a hybrid.
The bolded part is the sentiment that many are sharing and it really makes no sense. Disney could have nipped it in the bud early on but instead gave in to the earlier and earlier arrivals, resulting in the stupidly early situation we have now. This is their own private property which they can do whatever they want on. They are NOT, I repeat, NOT powerless to prevent guests from parking and lining up at the gates early. They can prevent them from even taking the exit ramp into the Studios parking lot until the designated arrival time, or they can redirect people out of the parking lot if they try to come in early. Anyone who doesn't comply can deal with the police, it's that simple. It's literally a matter of a handful of extra security CM positions.

If they did not allow a crowd to build up for two hours then there wouldn't be two hours' worth of people ready to stampede into the park, creating a situation much more unsafe than if they just opened the parking lot like normal. The process of stopping at the toll booths and being directed to a parking spot naturally creates enough of a filter to trickle people in, and giving a shorter timeframe prior to allowing guests to enter the park prevents the crowd from getting to large.

Disney is more than capable of handling the resulting crowds - see the traffic on World Drive on New Years Eve. The resulting situation wouldn't be anything even remotely close to that level of craziness and they handled that just fine because they were staffed and prepared for it.

If we want to talk about safety issues - 10,000 people lined up at the park entrance for two hours is far more unsafe than "more traffic than normal when the parking lot opens".

KevinPage

Considering that Smugglers Run has yet to see FP means it will be that much longer for it to occur on ROTR.

The real question is: once they get Rise up to normal capacity on consistent basis, when do they open up the standby line?

The Virtual Queue right now exists to avoid 8 hour waits due to demand/downtime and ing off thousands of customers. VQ lets them enjoy the day with minimal disruption on a currently temperamental ride.

disneygeek90

It is no coincidence that this is the worst performing day on the day that blackouts got lifted. Get rid of BG and go to FP as soon as possible
33403233-1FF2-487A-9400-008458769C3D.gif

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
I've been following this thread for many pages and posted here a couple of times. First, let me be clear: I'm honestly happy for those who have been able to experience this ride.

I agree with some members who are courageous enough to say that, this system isn't that simple for international guests, older folks, those not tech savvy, or people unfamiliar with social media.

Being in line for many hours isn't ideal either, I agree. In any case, it's been interesting reading about both sides of the argument.

The way I see it, we've come to a point where we should be grateful to Disney for letting us ride RotR after having to wake-up at 4am, in the hopes to get lucky enough to win a Golden Ticket in this lottery of sorts.

This whole situation might be ok for many. It's not ok for me. And maybe, just maybe, not ok for others either.

disneygeek90

I agree with some members who are courageous enough to say that, this system isn't that simple for international guests, older folks, those not tech savvy, or people unfamiliar with social media.
I get this, but these people aren’t gonna be the ones waiting in a 210 min standby either. Honestly the ones that are able and want to ride more are the ones that are going to, at least for now until it dies down a bit. Both options (VQ and standby) aren’t good for these guests, but idk how you really fix that in the current state.

DarkMetroid567

I’d argue that a 10-hour line is not anti-guest. Joining a line like that requires agency. It’s a system guests are conditioned to understand.

I think it becomes anti-guest when those waiting too long receive no compensation when they don’t get to ride. Universal, unfortunately, is an example.

Also: a 10-hour wait hopefully wouldn’t exist this far out because most wouldn’t join it at that length.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

There's a threshold for how long people are willing to physically stand in line. The virtual queue might make you wait all day, but when there's no commitment other than waiting for the alert on your phone, everyone is willing to do it. In reality, on an average day, meaning non-peak, or not literal days after the attraction's grand opening, 2-3 hours is usually the threshold. Universal never utilized the virtual queue for Hagrid's, and while everyone heard about 10 hour lines on the first day, after a few days the line averaged about 2-3 hours - provided it was running smoothly, of course. If Rise were running smoothly and at full capacity, I think we would see similar waits to Flight of Passage, not 10 hour waits.

TrojanUSC

Not having a spot for its hotel guests Is ****ing off tens of thousands of customers. The ones that spend WAY more money by booking hotel rooms. VQ makes it hard for any hotel guest to enjoy the day b they can't get on the ride unless they get their at rope drop and they don't do that on vacation as a % of guests. WDW caters to them and not the local AP. VQ is awful and will be done away with shortly. It's a temp fix for new ride openings only.

Ignoring the fact that APs often spend more than hotel guests, considering they are there more often and eating/dining/buying merchandise with much more frequency, you do know how many hotel guests they have on average, right?

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
There's a threshold for how long people are willing to physically stand in line. The virtual queue might make you wait all day, but when there's no commitment other than waiting for the alert on your phone, everyone is willing to do it. In reality, on an average day, meaning non-peak, or not literal days after the attraction's grand opening, 2-3 hours is usually the threshold. Universal never utilized the virtual queue for Hagrid's, and while everyone heard about 10 hour lines on the first day, after a few days the line averaged about 2-3 hours - provided it was running smoothly, of course. If Rise were running smoothly and at full capacity, I think we would see similar waits to Flight of Passage, not 10 hour waits.
Also, thresholds vary, depending on many factors like age, health, willingness, etc. When you think about it, a Disney vacation is becoming more and more like survival of the fittest. If we get lucky, there'll come a time when we're all not that young or healthy, and who knows what it'll take then, to fully enjoy a Disney trip.
I'm of the idea that Disney, as a the big company that it is, is the one who should be looking into solutions for these issues.

Hawg G

Could you imagine sitting in for a ride pitch and WDI saying "we have an idea for a great attraction with this super advanced cutting edge ride system" and then Iger cuts them off and says "sorry boys, we only build slow moving boat rides at Disney."

Part of the attraction of Rise is the innovative ride system. It's part of what separates what Disney can do versus their competitors. They could have built Small World with Kylo Ren and BB-8, but what's the point of having all that capacity if the experience isn't thrilling enough to garner a crowd?

The innovative ride system of RotR? You mean the one that has been in Tokyo for like 12 years?

And their competitors DON’T do innovative ride systems? Ooooooo K.

ParentsOf4

Isn’t that the same of every brand new E ticket?
The last time I was blown away by a Walt Disney World (WDW) attraction was 1994 when I first experienced Tower of Terror (TOT).

Requoting something I wrote in 2016:

Tower of Terror is one of those special treats rarely found at theme parks. Even before entering Disney Hollywood Studios, you see it lurking in the distance, beckoning you.
At first you can't believe it's an attraction. It's just for show, right? But then you turn the corner onto Sunset Boulevard and, faintly, start to hear screams emanating from its pinnacle. You continue your stroll down the street with so many nearby distractions but, involuntarily, no matter where you are, you find yourself glancing up, always glancing up.
As you approach, your excitement builds. The gate doesn't look like an attraction entrance; it looks real, someplace frozen in time where something has gone horribly wrong. You meander through the queue, approaching the lobby. Even on the sunniest days, it's dark and foreboding. You finally enter the structure, so much to see, so much to absorb, and you know, just know, something special lies ahead.
I remember the first time I experienced Tower Of Terror in the summer of 1994, not too long after it opened. We stood in the line for about an hour, the longest we had ever waited at WDW up till that time. The queue was so rich and set such a mood that we didn't mind.
As soon as we got off, our reaction was "Wow, that was totally awesome!" No one questioned our decision to get back in line and wait another 60 minutes.
Sadly, the last time I felt that way about a WDW attraction was, well, Tower of Terror in 1994. Sorta been downhill ever since. :(

Rise of the Resistance (RotR) is superior to TOT. It's that good. :D

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The last time I was blown away by a Walt Disney World (WDW) attraction was 1994 when I first experienced Tower of Terror (TOT).

Requoting something I wrote in 2016:

Tower of Terror is one of those special treats rarely found at theme parks. Even before entering Disney Hollywood Studios, you see it lurking in the distance, beckoning you.
At first you can't believe it's an attraction. It's just for show, right? But then you turn the corner onto Sunset Boulevard and, faintly, start to hear screams emanating from its pinnacle. You continue your stroll down the street with so many nearby distractions but, involuntarily, no matter where you are, you find yourself glancing up, always glancing up.
As you approach, your excitement builds. The gate doesn't look like an attraction entrance; it looks real, someplace frozen in time where something has gone horribly wrong. You meander through the queue, approaching the lobby. Even on the sunniest days, it's dark and foreboding. You finally enter the structure, so much to see, so much to absorb, and you know, just know, something special lies ahead.
I remember the first time I experienced Tower Of Terror in the summer of 1994, not too long after it opened. We stood in the line for about an hour, the longest we had ever waited at WDW up till that time. The queue was so rich and set such a mood that we didn't mind.
As soon as we got off, our reaction was "Wow, that was totally awesome!" No one questioned our decision to get back in line and wait another 60 minutes.
Sadly, the last time I felt that way about a WDW attraction was, well, Tower of Terror in 1994. Sorta been downhill ever since. :(

Rise of the Resistance (RotR) is superior to TOT. It's that good. :D
It’s reassuring that they are still able to do it when given what they need (more or less). Risking a thread drift, I can think of the original Universe of Energy, Orlando’s Tower, Spider-Man, Space Mountain From the Earth to the Moon and Forbidden Journey having the same effect.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom