Star Wars Ep. 9 Thread

erasure fan1

For some reason I did not put 2 and 2 together lol.. it worked in endgame, not so much RoS.
For me, it wasn't so much that it didn't work. It is more that they didn’t earn the moment. So it just didn't have that emotional gut punch it should have. Last movie she was nobody, than all of a sudden she's everybody. But again, it was probably the best they could do with what they were left with.

Joesixtoe

For me, it wasn't so much that it didn't work. It is more that they didn’t earn the moment. So it just didn't have that emotional gut punch it should have. Last movie she was nobody, than all of a sudden she's everybody. But again, it was probably the best they could do with what they were left with.
I guess when at the end, all those voices were giving her the literal strength to defeat Palpatine then I can go with it.

Animaniac93-98

The Force Awakens opened December 18 and by the end of the Holidays (January 3) had made $742 million, about 79% of its total gross.

Rogue One opened December 16 and earned $477 million by January 8. Almost 90% of its domestic gross.

The Last Jedi was released on December 15 and by the last Sunday of school break (Jan 7) had made $572 million, or 92% of its total gross.

All 3 movies continued to play months after the Christmas Holidays, but they made the the bulk of their money during that vacation period.

As of December 31, Rise of the Skywalker has made $390 million. How much it makes between this Wednesday and Sunday is critical to determining its final gross and whether it can top Last Jedi or play closer to Rogue One.

For those curious, here are the 12 day totals for each movie. But keep in mind that RotS was released later in December than the past 3 titles:

Force Awakens: $600 million
Rogue One: $340 million
Last Jedi: $423 million
Rise of the Skywalker: $390 million

Last edited:

Mike S

The Force Awakens opened December 18 and by the end of the Holidays (January 3) had made $742 million, about 79% of its total gross.

Rogue One opened December 16 and earned $477 million by January 8. Almost 90% of its domestic gross.

The Last Jedi was released on December 15 and by the last Sunday of school break (Jan 7) had made $572 million, or 92% of its total gross.

All 3 movies continued to play months after the Christmas Holidays, but they made the the bulk of their money during that vacation period.

As of December 31, Rise of the Skywalker has made $390 million. How much it makes between this Wednesday and Sunday is critical to determining its final gross and whether it can top Last Jedi or play closer to Rogue One.

For those curious, here are the 12 day totals for each movie. But keep in mind that RotS was released later in December than the past 3 titles:

Force Awakens: $600 million
Rogue One: $340 million
Last Jedi: $423 million
Rise of the Skywalker: $390 million
source.gif

Mike S

Really I'm not on the wagon for all the 'copy' claims on those scenes...
To me it’s just too similar right down to the pauses. Then add in the rumors of the extensive reshoots supposedly to make the movie appealing to the widest base possible and eventually it just seems like too much of a coincidence.

The Empress Lilly

Everyone's favorite ex-CEO throwing some shade on Twitter:
Well Eisner's right on the money. Except that RoS wasn't emotionless to me. On the contrary. There were many touching or moving moments, albeit all based on nostalgia rather than anything newly introduced in it.

But an acceptable end.

I wish Disney had found one creative lead for Star Wars. Perhaps Favreau is it then. Or Dave Filoni, my previous candidate.

Incidentally, what bothers me is that the SW saga is now Palpatine's saga, rather than the Skywalker's. The way the prequels changed SW from Luke's to Darth Vader's story.
Palpatine raised the Skywalkers, for all we know he was behind Anakin's virgin birth the way he fathered Rey. Then he exterminated them all through his actions, three generations. It's nice that Rey calls herself an honorary Skywalker, but their bloodline is erased, replaced by the Palpatine one.

But the Jedi live. Once again, as in every movie, the jedi profess loyalty to the Skywalkers but are in their actions the cause of death and of physical and psychological torment of every Skywalker.

Joesixtoe

Well Eisner's right on the money. Except that RoS wasn't emotionless to me. On the contrary. There were many touching or moving moments, albeit all based on nostalgia rather than anything newly introduced in it.

But an acceptable end.

I wish Disney had found one creative lead for Star Wars. Perhaps Favreau is it then. Or Dave Filoni, my previous candidate.

Incidentally, what bothers me is that the SW saga is now Palpatine's saga, rather than the Skywalker's. The way the prequels changed SW from Luke's to Darth Vader's story.
Palpatine raised the Skywalkers, for all we know he was behind Anakin's virgin birth the way he fathered Rey. Then he exterminated them all through his actions, three generations. It's nice that Rey calls herself an honorary Skywalker, but their bloodline is erased, replaced by the Palpatine one.

But the Jedi live. Once again, as in every movie, the jedi profess loyalty to the Skywalkers but are in their actions the cause of death and of physical and psychological torment of every Skywalker.
A tragedy is this Skywalker bloodline. Although I believe the whole Palpatine created Anakin was debunked.

LSLS

Finally going tomorrow afternoon. I know others have mentioned being surprised at the availability of tickets but I was still surprised to see that I could literally pick any seat I wanted.

I went new years day and the counter guy legit said that was the only film not sold out (only around 20 people in my screening).

Animaniac93-98

Good. Then people should go see actual good movies. Like 1917, Uncut Gems, Little Women, Knives Out, Bombshell, and JoJo Rabbit,

Thanks to Star Wars and Cats those movies have been pushed out of many theaters, even if more people would rather watch them now.

Hopefully they'll get a post Oscars bump in Theather count after the nominations are announced on the 13th.

Animaniac93-98

Third weekend estimate: $33.7 million (53.4% drop)

17-Day totals:

Force Awakens: $742 million
Rogue One: $425 million
Last Jedi: $517 million
Rise of the Skywalker: $450 million

Last Jedi and Rogue One made a little over $100 million each after their 17-day run for their final domestic total. That would suggest an approx. $550 million finish for Skywalker, roughly on par with what Rogue One did 3 years ago ($532 million).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom