Lost and Found Frustration

Kevin_W

Original Poster
My daughter accidentally left her phone in the Adventureland restroom as we were leaving MK on Christmas and to make it worse, she didn't notice until we were on the bus. It was after park closing so we couldn't go back and get it.

I used the Android Device Finder to ring the phone and it got turned off. We called the phone, but no answer. Using the device finder, I watched it move from the bathroom to MK Guest Services. Then the next morning it moved from guest services to Animal Kingdom ~9AM before it lost battery and I could't track it any more.

I had filled out the lost and found form with phone number, lock screen code, IMEI, etc. and this morning I got the "we can't find your device" email from the Chargerback lost and found service. That's pretty frustrating given that I watched the device move and knew exactly where it was for nearly 12 hours after it was lost.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Are you still at WDW?
If you are, go to the Lost and Found window at Disney Springs, on the bus station side. Maybe showing up in person, helps.

I hope you get to recover your daughter's phone.

Kevin_W

Original Poster
Are you still at WDW?
If you are, go to the Lost and Found window at Disney Springs, on the bus station side. Maybe showing up in person, helps.

I hope you get to recover your daughter's phone.

Unfortunately, we had to leave the following day so we didn't have the chance to try in person. I probably should have visited the MK City Hall in person the next morning during EMH before it got shipped out.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
My guess is it was not in the care of a CM when you saw it at MK at night and then AK at 9am the next morning.

Its frustrating but its nothing to get upset with Disney about that they can't find it.

Take it as a lesson learned the hard way for your daughter to keep track of important items at all times.

Kevin_W

Original Poster
My guess is it was not in the care of a CM when you saw it at MK at night and then AK at 9am the next morning.

Its frustrating but its nothing to get upset with Disney about that they can't find it.

Take it as a lesson learned the hard way for your daughter to keep track of important items at all times.

I'm not upset with Disney, just frustrated with the process. I'm pretty sure it was with a CM since it was still at City hall at 8:30AM the next morning. Seems unlikely a random person would move it from the bathroom to City hall and leave it there overnight then someone else would pick it up and move it the next morning. (A CM at AK the next morning said that they make rounds of the parks picking up all the items to take to the central facility at DS.)

Yes, a valuable life lesson for my daughter. And luckily an inexpensive phone.

correcaminos

I know someone who left some things at their room and got a similar message, but they all still showed up. Hope the same will be true for you.

Shouldigo12

Is it possible an employee at City Hall pocketed it? That would be very unfortunate if it was the case, but that's the only way I can think of that it would make it to City Hall and then just disappear.

PorterRedkey

I can’t speak to WDW, but I lost my wallet at Disneyland and reported it online and then went to Lost and Found. 5 hours later I had my wallet and the $300+ cash that was in it.

I was really just hoping I could get my ID back to fly. I was shocked when it came back with all my credit cards and cash. I was soooo grateful to the DL cast members who found it at ToT.
So for my experience, Disney’s lost and found gets nothing but praise from me.

spock8113

I would guess there were pictures and videos on that phone as well? That's really the sad part losing all that.
I would also guess you're daughter has no banking or anything like that on the phone?? Hopefully?
Then there's all kinds of personal information on there as well. This is why I hate these smart phones.
Everyone thinks it won't happen to them until it happens to them!
When you get home or as soon as possible, change ALL your passwords.
If you get a new phone, get a new number and have the old number deactivated.
If you're under the impression no one can get into your phone, you're seriously mistaken regardless of the access process.
Sorry to be an alarmist, but there are many people out there with the means and nefarious intentions so you need to cut that possibility cord as soon as possible.
I hope you get your phone back but at this point it's probably better that you don't and start fresh.
PS, when you go to the parks be sure your Near Field Communication and WiFiDirect are off!

Last edited:

dreamfinder

Disney is great with Lost & Found. And it’s also one place where guests don’t pocket things but turn them in.

Have you used it since they outsourced it? Most of the reports I've seen indicate that since they let Chargerback handle Lost & Found, quality of service, and the odds of getting things returns have gone down greatly.

Kevin_W

Original Poster
I would guess there were pictures and videos on that phone as well? That's really the sad part losing all that.
I would also guess you're daughter has no banking or anything like that on the phone?? Hopefully?
Then there's all kinds of personal information on there as well. This is why I hate these smart phones.
Everyone thinks it won't happen to them until it happens to them!
When you get home or as soon as possible, change ALL your passwords.
If you get a new phone, get a new number and have the old number deactivated.
If you're under the impression no one can get into your phone, you're seriously mistaken regardless of the access process.
Sorry to be an alarmist, but there are many people out there with the means and nefarious intentions so you need to cut that possibility cord as soon as possible.
I hope you get your phone back but at this point it's probably better that you don't and start fresh.
PS, when you go to the parks be sure your Near Field Communication and WiFiDirect are off!

Good tips, spock. Luckily, since it was my daughter's phone there is very little of interest on the phone. We gave it to her when my father-in-law (who was on our family plan) passed. There are certainyl pictures/videos she has taken, but nothing earthshattering to lose. No banking or anything and actually the caller ID still shows my father-in-law's name.

Kevin_W

Original Poster
Have you used it since they outsourced it? Most of the reports I've seen indicate that since they let Chargerback handle Lost & Found, quality of service, and the odds of getting things returns have gone down greatly.

I just got the "we've given up" email from Chargerback today. Expected, but disappointing. With a unique IMEI number (and the ability for me to locate it within ~50 feet and make it ring if it's powered on) a cell phone should be one of the easier items to recover one would thing.

It's an old phone with a cracked back - it would probably sell for <$50 on ebay. So I'd highly doubt a CM walked off with it, more likely it just wasn't worth the time by the lost and found employees.

bubbles1812

I can’t speak to WDW, but I lost my wallet at Disneyland and reported it online and then went to Lost and Found. 5 hours later I had my wallet and the $300+ cash that was in it.

I was really just hoping I could get my ID back to fly. I was shocked when it came back with all my credit cards and cash. I was soooo grateful to the DL cast members who found it at ToT.
So for my experience, Disney’s lost and found gets nothing but praise from me.
I left my phone in the muppets restroom in DHS in 2017 much like OP’s daughter. It was an idiot moment for sure, especially considering my phone was (and still is) my physician pager. I was freaking out because if it was truly lost, getting everything related to the hospital I worked in back in a quick manner would have been very difficult the next week and made my job a whole lot harder.

We went to guest services and no dice. Turned on my mom’s phone to activate the find my phone feature and essentially watched it track into guest services. Rushed back... CM just smiles at me as I burst into very relieved tears.

They gave me a fast pass for Toy Story because we’d missed it while looking for the phone and then an extra fast pass because I must have apparently looked that distressed. 😂 Somehow even a lost phone turned into a Disney Magic moment.

And you can bet I always make sure I have my phone on me now, especially after visiting that damn Muppets bathroom ;)

Kevin_W

Original Poster
Update to the story: after getting the "we've given up looking" email, I sent a note through the Chargerback feedback link to let them know I was disappointed, explaining basically what I've said in this thread.

A few hours later and the phone is magically found! I got an email from someone with WDW lost and found responding to my note as well as the automated notification from Chargerback. I'm not sure if my note spurred someone to actually go look for it, but it sure seems like that's what happened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom