Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

VaderTron

This is a joke, right?

Somebody clearly hasn’t watched Lost.
The man knows how to build anticipation, but doesn't know how to provide a satisfying ending with a "big reveal" that isn't disappointing. Lost proved that. JJ should have done 7 and 8 and Rian should have done 9. At least then it would have ended in an interesting way.

Edit: I mean...it couldn't be worse, could it?...🤔

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is nothing new. Force Heal and Force Drain have been used by other Jedi and Sith in books and games in the Star Wars Universe for years. The problem with many "SW fans" is they are just movie fans. They don't know much about the expanded universe. Then they get all upset when "new" things happen that are not new at all.
And I’ll say this for the 500th time:

Whatever you do with the biggest movie franchise ever had to makes sense ON THE SCREEN.

It’s not about all the crap they sold at Barnes and noble

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
He *did* save his son. And that should be enough, unless one is against protecting one's children.

He also distracted and kept the Emperor from interfering with the ground mission to take down the force field. His son did train Rey and then enabled the remnant of the Resistance to escape. He son then kept Rey from hiding out like he did.

I don't view it as the nobility of Vader's actions and protecting one's child. IX retcons the ending of RotJ. For ~35 years we've had a basic belief/understanding that Vader was brought back to the light, sacrificed himself to save Luke, and destroyed Palpatine in the process. Making his journey complete.

I don't classify Rey and Luke's interaction as one of Master and Apprentice. More like: "Here are some tips....good luck".

Animaniac93-98

Original Poster
Fyi, current box office projections are now solidly under $200 mil opening weekend. Just shocking to me.

Disney's formal expectation is around $160 million. Box Office Mojo is $215. Both would be below episodes 7 and 8.

The $40 million in Thursday previews is $5 million less than episode 8.

Wendy Pleakley

There likely should have been more of a plan for what the whole trilogy would look like from the beginning. It's hard to know exactly how much was actually planned, because we do know the intent was for Leia to confront Ben in this movie (one example), and that still happened with Han being subbed in.

The original trilogy didn't have an ending planned out. That's understandable, in that no one knew if there would even be a single sequel. Still, that ending was mediocre. Jedi had no new story to tell. The first chunk of the movie is just rescuing Han, Luke visits Yoda and nothing much new develops there, and then we're into the finale (with another Death Star no less). That movie nailed the landing with an epic space battle and a satisfying showdown between Luke/Vader/Palpatine, but it doesn't do much else and has a myriad of other issues.

The Last Jedi was short on developing the larger story, but it did do things that set up a finale where we would actually get some story development. The Resistance needing to rebuild and the notion that there are many more force users, with the latter not ultimately touched on. That would have been a good addition to the ending. We see a few First Order ships going down, why not show a few people rising up and using the force to take out some storm troopers for example?

What I'm looking for, is was the overall story where Rey is a Palpatine actually planned? Was it effective? This was a real missed opportunity. From the time we met Rey she was always a good person. In TLJ she "went straight to the dark", but it didn't amount to much. It wasn't until Rise that this story even started. The scene where she killed Chewie was great, we see her using Sith powers out of anger and simultaneously feeling conflict over the terrible act she just committed. Why wasn't there this conflict from the beginning? There was never any mystery or question of whether or not Rey would consider joining Ben and the dark side. I believe going to the dark side for a time was something considered for Luke in RoTJ as well, but abandoned.

From the beginning we were told Rey is nobody, while at the same time dropping a few suggestions there might be more to it. Leia embraces Rey like a daughter in TFA (as noted in the script). Was this because she knew the importance of expressing love and compassion to the heir of Palpatine? When Kylo asks "what girl?" with utmost importance, did he have an inkling there was someone of importance out there? Was Luke's hesitancy to train her due to knowing who she was? These would be interesting if they tied into the larger story but it just requires a lot of inference.

I wish there was more in TFA to setup a more interesting journey for Rey. Even something like using force lightning against Kylo would have set up an internal conflict of good vs evil, and given a clear suggestion that her lineage might come into play. Instead, the heir of Palpatine is a 100% good person all of the time, which is odd, and leaves no suspense at the end. Of course she would never pursue the notion of ruling the galaxy, she's all good all the time.

It's still a fun movie. There's a decent amount of story, humour, chemistry among characters, action, etc. I just wish the Rey story was more than good person grows up to defeat the Emperor. Ben Solo was the one who got the story of good vs. evil, but his story was secondary to Rey's. Why wasn't he more integral to taking down the Emperor at the end of the day?

Darth Snips

This thread.....
1576942201357.gif

This is why I don’t talk about Star Wars online anymore. These arguments go on forever and never change anyone’s minds. They are the most useless kind of discussion. I’m just gonna drop this link:
This review pretty much sums up my feelings on the film. It wasn’t perfect, but it was fun. Once again, the middle ground is drowned out by all the screaming. *sigh* I wonder about this fan base sometimes. It probably is for the best if we just move on from the Skywalker Saga at this point. I think it’s time for Star Wars to “start over”.

And with that, I’m out.
1576942544446.gif

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There likely should have been more of a plan for what the whole trilogy would look like from the beginning. It's hard to know exactly how much was actually planned, because we do know the intent was for Leia to confront Ben in this movie (one example), and that still happened with Han being subbed in.

The original trilogy didn't have an ending planned out. That's understandable, in that no one knew if there would even be a single sequel. Still, that ending was mediocre. Jedi had no new story to tell. The first chunk of the movie is just rescuing Han, Luke visits Yoda and nothing much new develops there, and then we're into the finale (with another Death Star no less). That movie nailed the landing with an epic space battle and a satisfying showdown between Luke/Vader/Palpatine, but it doesn't do much else and has a myriad of other issues.

The Last Jedi was short on developing the larger story, but it did do things that set up a finale where we would actually get some story development. The Resistance needing to rebuild and the notion that there are many more force users, with the latter not ultimately touched on. That would have been a good addition to the ending. We see a few First Order ships going down, why not show a few people rising up and using the force to take out some storm troopers for example?

What I'm looking for, is was the overall story where Rey is a Palpatine actually planned? Was it effective? This was a real missed opportunity. From the time we met Rey she was always a good person. In TLJ she "went straight to the dark", but it didn't amount to much. It wasn't until Rise that this story even started. The scene where she killed Chewie was great, we see her using Sith powers out of anger and simultaneously feeling conflict over the terrible act she just committed. Why wasn't there this conflict from the beginning? There was never any mystery or question of whether or not Rey would consider joining Ben and the dark side. I believe going to the dark side for a time was something considered for Luke in RoTJ as well, but abandoned.

From the beginning we were told Rey is nobody, while at the same time dropping a few suggestions there might be more to it. Leia embraces Rey like a daughter in TFA (as noted in the script). Was this because she knew the importance of expressing love and compassion to the heir of Palpatine? When Kylo asks "what girl?" with utmost importance, did he have an inkling there was someone of importance out there? Was Luke's hesitancy to train her due to knowing who she was? These would be interesting if they tied into the larger story but it just requires a lot of inference.

I wish there was more in TFA to setup a more interesting journey for Rey. Even something like using force lightning against Kylo would have set up an internal conflict of good vs evil, and given a clear suggestion that her lineage might come into play. Instead, the heir of Palpatine is a 100% good person all of the time, which is odd, and leaves no suspense at the end. Of course she would never pursue the notion of ruling the galaxy, she's all good all the time.

It's still a fun movie. There's a decent amount of story, humour, chemistry among characters, action, etc. I just wish the Rey story was more than good person grows up to defeat the Emperor. Ben Solo was the one who got the story of good vs. evil, but his story was secondary to Rey's. Why wasn't he more integral to taking down the Emperor at the end of the day?
And this is what I’m talking about...

You just analyzed in 2500 words the movie you saw 36 hours ago....
You’re not gushing about how you loved it.

That is Enough for the jury to convict.

Option A Is for the prequels and sequels
Option B was for 77-83

I don’t want to break it down and say times haven’t changed...they have. But it doesn’t explain away the stark change in attitudes.

Here’s what does explain it: no resonance.

Mike S

Yes there was more Force sensitive people out there. Just like there’s always been. This wasn’t a completely new concept for TLJ to explore but for some reason it’s treated like some grand revelation and I really don’t know why. Where do you think all the Jedi of the prequels and the kids Anakin kills in RotS came from? Where do you think Luke got all of his students from? All these Force sensitives would still require training before they could do anything with it so I’m actually glad you don’t just see a group of them all show up to fight. It would’ve made this movie even more nonsensical.

I didn’t feel that way about Chewie’s “death.” When I thought little miss perfect just killed one of my favorite characters I was getting mad. It didn’t help that all the leaks were proven to be true and one said Chewie died in this movie by getting blown up which was thankfully wrong. I knew it would likely reveal that he wasn’t actually dead but it didn’t blow over until we actually saw him again and it was confirmed he was ok. You don’t mess with my walking carpet.

Wendy Pleakley

Yes there was more Force sensitive people out there. Just like there’s always been. This wasn’t a completely new concept for TLJ to explore but for some reason it’s treated like some grand revelation and I really don’t know why. Where do you think all the Jedi of the prequels and the kids Anakin kills in RotS came from? Where do you think Luke got all of his students from? All these Force sensitives would still require training before they could do anything with it so I’m actually glad you don’t just see a group of them all show up to fight. It would’ve made this movie even more nonsensical.

I didn’t feel that way about Chewie’s “death.” When I thought little miss perfect just killed one of my favorite characters I was getting mad. It didn’t help that all the leaks were proven to be true and one said Chewie died in this movie by getting blown up which was thankfully wrong. I knew it would likely reveal that he wasn’t actually dead but it didn’t blow over until we actually saw him again and it was confirmed he was ok. You don’t mess with my walking carpet.

When Chewie "died" I felt some annoyance they were offing yet another original character, but mostly I thought it was effective. That scene needed to feel emotional for the audience and it did. As a viewer I totally bought into the anguish Rey was feeling over a terrible action.

TROR

Saw it.

My gut reaction is not positive - about the same as the other two in this trilogy. Theatre was 85% full at a 7:30pm showing which seemed light to me. Audience seemed to respond to it pretty well, though. Only time I felt any Feeling was when good guy fleet arrival and that owed a lot to the classic musical cue. These characters or their story never really earned attachment or care (for me).

Some aspects I found particularly puzzling/poorly-thought through:
- Force ghosts interacting with physical world (catching lightsaber, raising x-wing). They did this in TLJ and I thought it was poor there, as well.
- Healing with force. As noted above, this feels like rule-breaking as in the Light Speed Kamikaze of the previous movie, and raises questions about why never used earlier.
- Retrofitted Star Destroyers now have the power to blow up planets?!? No Death Star needed. So dumb.
- Hyperspace skipping (sucking Tie Fighters along for the ride). Another dumb concept that damages the more sophisticated ideas previously established by much smarter earlier films ("Jumpin through hyperspace aint like dustin crops, boy!...")
- Kylo and Rey physically interacting despite being light years away (grabbing the necklace).

If I had to sum up this trilogy it would be - contrary to the originals that were created by a guy and his team who had a germ of an idea and hustled with passion to make movies they actually wanted to make - these feel like movies mandated by a corporation, who hired an 'expert' who had no real passion or germ of an idea, then lavished cash on the project and provided a checklist of marketability targets that needed to be hit (i.e., you've got to bring the main characters back, you have to make it as diverse and gender balanced as possible on all sides (50% of the stormtrooper voices should be female), etc.). This is not the recipe for great movie-making.
-Force Ghosts have always been able to interact with the real world since 1983 when Obj Wan sat on a log (I appreciated the callback with Luke sitting on a rock in this one)
-Force healing has been a thing since ET in 1982
-Hyperspace skipping is said to be dangerous in the movie
-Rey and Kylo physically interacting was set up in The Last Jedi and shows a natural progression of their force bond. This is actually one of the best things in the movie, especially with its payoff at the end.

Last edited:

Indy_UK

I still really want to go and see this again. Maybe on Tuesday.

Would this film maybe of not felt as jam packed if Snoke lived in TLJ and been the main villain in this one?

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Funny stuff. Here's one I just heard from a reviewer.

When Disney bought SW it was a fully functional wagon. It had four wheels and a shiny new paint job. JJ came in and said "I got an idea" so he took off a wheel and sold us a tricycle. But that wasn't enough. Rian Johnson needed to best JJ and took two wheels off and made SW into a unicycle. JJ had no choice but to remove the last wheel, put a lamp shade over the wagon and call it a droid.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom