Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker Reactions: SPOILERS

Wendy Pleakley

I largely thought they delivered a satisfying finale.

Leia was used as well as she could be given they could only work with existing footage. No complaints. Was the Han scene (majorly surprised at this) added to replace what would have been a Kylo & Leia scene?

Physically passing a necklace through the force. The second that happened, I thought, we're going to hear complaints about this for the next three years, if not more.

I don't know why they had to reprogram Threepio to translate Sith. Felt like dramatics for dramatics sake.

I've watched the Death Star blow up at the end of Jedi more times than I can count, and it really doesn't look like there was any wreckage. That thing turned to dust.

I was skeptical of the Emperor returning but the way they brought it in, I bought it.

Rey Palpatine? Fine I guess? They could have done more with her temptation between light and dark. This is the other story element that I think the people who haven't enjoyed this movies, will be angry about for years to come.

The fleet showing up as the Star Wars theme plays? Yeah, I got goose bumps. I don't care that it was inevitable.

Nostalgic elements largely worked and didn't feel overdone.

The story ended as I felt it would, one didn't need to read spoilers to know that Ben would follow a similar redemption arc as Vader. The Jedi cameos were expected and satisfying.

I guess they didn't want to do another galaxy wide celebration, but just showing cloud city and some Ewoks felt very random.

The saga will end? No way. I cannot imagine these characters don't come back for another generation of films sometime in the future.

Mike S

So you prefer whiny AND inept. Gotcha.

Kylo Ren is a far more complex and interesting character than either Luke or Vader. To each their own I guess.

Anyway...a very fun movie. And that’s what matters to me. Superior to the weak acting, directing and story in EP 1-3.
For whiny yes Luke in the beginning of ANH (grew out of it quick) but how were either of them inept? Vader, unlike Kylo, was actually an intimidating villain. Kylo’s arc in these movies just doesn’t compare.

Mike S

For why the return of Palpatine just doesn’t work at all, this is a good read.
Just watched and my only reaction was holy s***. A couple things felt off but def worthy of its Star Wars title. They clearly should have just given JJ the whole trilogy so he didn’t have to clean up after the last film but he did so very well...all in my opinion of course.
If he got the whole thing maybe it wouldn’t have been as disjointed but it still would’ve suffered from remake syndrome as this movie showed. He’s got no original ideas.

Wendy Pleakley

Other random thoughts:

Hux's story arc was absurd and petty and kind of amusing.

I'm pretty sure if an X-wing is submerged in water for decades, it's not flying anywhere. That scene was another example where one asks, just how powerful are ghost Jedi anyway?

Rich Brownn

When the Emperor opened the portal to show the fleet being massacred I was waiting for him to say "Now witness this fully operational..." LOL

Is Palpatine dead this time? Is he really, sincerely dead?

Ugh -- that kiss. (rolls eyes)

Parts I did like: lightsaber duels were cool as always. I liked that she knew she'd need two lightsabers at the end. I like that she also built her own (apparently). There was a real feeling of camaraderie among the leads. They did a good job with Leia weaving those snippets together.

Parts I didn't like: Defintely too much fan service. Too much retread. And the fact there were literally no surprises -- the pacing felt like checkmarks... bring back another OT character - check. Make 3PO idiotic - check. The whole showdown in the emperor room - check. And so on.

I give it *** out of *****

Wendy Pleakley

That article isn't wrong, but I see people are already over analyzing this movie and expending a lot of effort to tear it apart.

I don't mind a certain amount of nit picking, but seeing how obsessive people are with The Last Jedi, two years later, I wonder why some people can't just enjoy a movie (or not enjoy a movie) for what it is, and move on.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

FigmentForver96

If he got the whole thing maybe it wouldn’t have been as disjointed but it still would’ve suffered from remake syndrome as this movie showed. He’s got no original ideas.
Episode 6 was literally them constructing another death star, the baddies in Star Wars have been pretty good at reusing ideas. I mean if I was the emperor I would absolutely want the galaxy distracted while I make My army of super weapons. Rather than let the Galaxy stay in peace after the defeat of the empire, he kept them distracted with the first order. Hence why he probably called it the final order as the first order was just the first phase.

So Leia knew about Rey, she knew Reys name didn’t define her. Rey struggled with the fact that she was a Palpatine. Leia knew the importance of guiding Rey and helping her control this power that we now understand she has for a reason. Other than confuse her Leia had not reason T
tell her.

The only thing I don’t really get is the Luke searching for the planet of however you spell it. My only guess is he didn’t think the emperor was alive and wanted to find it anyway. He gave up the search and then went to the events we know happened last movie. Last Jedi was a crappy film however by the end Luke seems to be pretty aware of his mistakes.

People aren’t going to like it, that’s fine it’s their opinion. People have been screaming about Star Wars being ruined since Phantom so this won’t be any different. It will still make big bucks and be a cultural icon for years to come. If Star Wars was ruined than it would have happened when they cried foul with the prequels.

Mike S

That article isn't wrong, but I see people are already over analyzing this movie and expending a lot of effort to tear it apart.

I don't mind a certain amount of nit picking, but seeing how obsessive people are with The Last Jedi, two years later, I wonder why some people can't just enjoy a movie (or not enjoy a movie) for what it is, and move on.
I was already thinking these things just leaving the theater. I just found an article I agreed with. Also it’s really not hard for any Star Wars fan to find faults in this movie.
Critics: 62% RT / 53% Meta

Audience Self-Reporters: 85% RT / 68% IMDB

Box Office: on track for the mega bucks everyone's expecting

Two out of three ain't bad. Though, I expect those numbers to fluctuate.

The real test will be its legs. TLJ didn’t have good ones and I don’t think this will either.
Episode 6 was literally them constructing another death star, the baddies in Star Wars have been pretty good at reusing ideas. I mean if I was the emperor I would absolutely want the galaxy distracted while I make My army of super weapons. Rather than let the Galaxy stay in peace after the defeat of the empire, he kept them distracted with the first order. Hence why he probably called it the final order as the first order was just the first phase.

So Leia knew about Rey, she knew Reys name didn’t define her. Rey struggled with the fact that she was a Palpatine. Leia knew the importance of guiding Rey and helping her control this power that we now understand she has for a reason. Other than confuse her Leia had not reason T
tell her.

The only thing I don’t really get is the Luke searching for the planet of however you spell it. My only guess is he didn’t think the emperor was alive and wanted to find it anyway. He gave up the search and then went to the events we know happened last movie. Last Jedi was a crappy film however by the end Luke seems to be pretty aware of his mistakes.

People aren’t going to like it, that’s fine it’s their opinion. People have been screaming about Star Wars being ruined since Phantom so this won’t be any different. It will still make big bucks and be a cultural icon for years to come. If Star Wars was ruined than it would have happened when they cried foul with the prequels.
So the second Death Star just makes everything else ok because that movie did it. I’m sorry, but this is just ridiculous and lazy at this point. JJ first doing Starkiller Base and then trying to top that with a fleet of Death Star Destroyers. Sorry if I wanted something more from this trilogy. It also wasn’t only Leia who knew, Luke knew as well. It makes his actions in TLJ even more baffling. If he knew all of this why would he refuse to help her?

Whatever. I’m tired and going to sleep. I need it after this.

Rich Brownn

tell her.

Leia and Luke had to hold to the family tradition of not telling people about their linage until after they've become ForceGhosts(tm). A lesson learned from Yoda on his deathbed :D

And is everyone friggin related to a villain? Its like WW1 where it was a gigantic family squabble. LOL

champdisney

Just seen it. I enjoyed it for what it’s worth, a couple things I questioned but it’s all good. JJ did his best after the carnage that Rian left behind with TLJ. A lot of character growth, Finn and Poe were actually cool characters here unlike the previous two in which they were cheesy and unfunny but the spread from all that cheese was still there in this installment, especially from Poe.

Rise of Skywalker was a complete retcon of TLJ with its fan service, something Rian decided to ditch when he wanted to take Star Wars hostage and make it his own.

Palaptine was the retcon tool. Snoke could’ve been somebody after TFA but Rian ruined that, so how to fix that was to have Palaptine be his maker. No wonder Snoke looked like sh*t, how many Snoke clones did I just see in one tank?

Leia passing away was a obvious given in this film but I found it poetic how she didn’t let herself go into the Force until Kylo fixed his wrongs. Just kind of a bummer that Kylo had to go too, at least the Reylo fanatics had something to cheer about.

I appreciated how JJ went a little in-depth with Leia’s past Jedi training, again something Rian just threw on screen with TLJ, that left me feeling dumbfounded because that’s essentially Legends material that Disney axed. I don’t even think JJ originally wanted to dive into Leia having all that prior Jedi experience when TFA came out, but of course, Rian Johnson, Mr. Feminine AKA ‘let me kiss up to Kathleen’ had to throw that in there and without an explanation, just because... THE FORCE IS FEMALE! Whatever, what I can say is that the little backstory was a must that again, I appreciate JJ incorporating in ROS.

Not gonna lie, I nearly broke down when I thought Chewie met his demise (something taken from Legends) and got emotional seeing Han. I wonder, was Leia behind that?

Just like how I hoped to have seen a Force Ghost Anakin emerge from the burning Jedi tree on Ahch-To in TLJ, I was expecting him to confront Palaptine at the end of ROS. At least he was heard calling out to Rey.

Kylo being the Supreme Leader was all a false dream, he essentially was designed to fill Vader’s position as enforcer/the Palaptine slave as Palaptine himself was attempting to lure Rey to reclaim the throne. Pretty poetic.

Then I wonder how bad can old man Palp really be, if he’s not sexist? I guess if it’s in the blood, you get a pass. But hey! Decent movie, I’ll be seeing it again in the next few days.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom