Why doesn't Disney implement virtual ques regularly?

GoofTroop80

Original Poster
After reading how smooth the virtual que has been running for RotR, it got me thinking; Why doesn't Disney use virtual ques in place of standby or fast pass? Joining a virtual que when you get to the park seems 100x better than hyper planning what rides you can ride a month before you check in.

GoofTroop80

Original Poster
They had this before, minus the "eliminate the standby queue" option, it was the original Fastpass system.
I agree 100% and IMHO the old fast pass system was far better than the hyper planning system in place today. I'm not a tech guy, but the virtual que seems to be an option to go back to the old system without abandoning the tech they have in place. The tech that I think I remember reading that TWDC didn't want to drop because of the amount of money they sunk into it.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Didn't they try this with Soarin for a very very short amount of time because people were nearly rioting about how they were not even given the opportunity to wait because the virtual standby queue was full for the day.

Also isn't the same happening at ROTR where some people simply cannot ride because the virtual queue filled up for the day?

I can understand doing it for a new attraction for a short period of time but not in general for all rides.

Moka

Not everyone wants to arrive right as the park opens just to snatch some sort of fastpass or virtual queue. Sometimes my family just goes for the evening with the fastpass we got just a few days before, we don’t like to spend the entire day there. And yes, like others mentioned, it could work for new attractions, not for all.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
I think attendance is simply too high to use this all the time.
The virtual que could fill up moments after the park opens.

Which is exactly what happened with legacy FP for the E-ticket rides but at least there was also the option of waiting in the standby line.
If all we have is FP+ and VQ there would be many unhappy guests with nothing to do for large amount of time.

drizgirl

Didn't they try this with Soarin for a very very short amount of time because people were nearly rioting about how they were not even given the opportunity to wait because the virtual standby queue was full for the day.

Also isn't the same happening at ROTR where some people simply cannot ride because the virtual queue filled up for the day?

I can understand doing it for a new attraction for a short period of time but not in general for all rides.

The Soarin experience was a test. They also did it on TSMM. Probably in preparation for something just like RotR. I don't think it lasted for more than a few days on each.

Disney gets lots of data by having customers commit to parks and specific rides in advance. They won't give that up outside of the opening of a highly anticipated new attraction like RotR.

Tom Morrow

Yeah, it doesn't work in most situations because when there's no commitment to standing in line, everyone will join the virtual queue.

kevhugh

I think it also has to do with crowd management. Lines are people eaters and without them you have a lot more people throughout the park. On my last trip SM and BTMRR both broke down on a 10/10 crowd day and you could barely move around without those two lines managing people.

wendysue

After reading how smooth the virtual que has been running for RotR, it got me thinking; Why doesn't Disney use virtual ques in place of standby or fast pass? Joining a virtual que when you get to the park seems 100x better than hyper planning what rides you can ride a month before you check in.
Just curious.....what about people who don't have a smart phone? I am assuming VQ is only available with a phone app, correct? (Really, there are alot of people out there without smart phones)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Just curious.....what about people who don't have a smart phone? I am assuming VQ is only available with a phone app, correct? (Really, there are alot of people out there without smart phones)
I believe you can also approach a Customer Experience team and get a Boarding Group from them.

JMcMahonEsq

Out of Curiosity (we missed the opening of RotR by 2 weeks) how does the virtual cue work?

1) Do you have to wait until day of to register, like at 12am or at park opening (I assume so but thought I would ask); and
2) do you have to be at HS to get into the virtual cue, or can I make the reservation from app at the contemporary or on the bus driving over to the park?

Jon81uk

Out of Curiosity (we missed the opening of RotR by 2 weeks) how does the virtual cue work?

1) Do you have to wait until day of to register, like at 12am or at park opening (I assume so but thought I would ask); and
2) do you have to be at HS to get into the virtual cue, or can I make the reservation from app at the contemporary or on the bus driving over to the park?

You must have tapped your ticket/band at the turnstile to be able to request a boarding group. Therefore you can't register into the virtual queue unless you are at Hollywood Studios.

NickMaio

And that would have a much worse effect than every FP being booked 60 days before, IMO.
It obviously gives people on WDW property an advantage to securing the best and most popular rides during their vacations.
WDW will never get rid of this. I see them extending it to 90 days soon.

Victor Kelly

FP+ is here to stay - - - - WDW resort guests get a big 60 day perk that is never going to go away. Sadly good 'ol standby is dead.
Just wait, FP will be a perk for guests but they will remove it for regular guests like Universal did years ago. Then they will do tiers for on property guests so only the Deluxe hotels will have it. Everyone else will be pay to play.

It may be a Pessimistic view. But Disney is scrambling to play Catch up with Universal. And they never turn down a chNce to make money.

EMH will go away because of the Pay to play after the park closes is very popular. It is called selling the parks twice. And it is profitable.

Disney will also institute pay parking at DS. Look at how many people Re posting about how to get free parking when going to the parks. Go to DS hop a bus to a resort then hop a bus to a park. Disney reads these forums. It will start with preferred parking on the second floor, then shift to the entire garage soon after. You pay to park at Universal to go to City Walk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom