The Imagineering Story on Disney+

Animaniac93-98

The episode also implies that Ratatouille saved Disneyland Paris, which is strange because 2008 was the first time since the opening of WDSP that the resort posted a profit. What happened at the end of 2007? Tower of Terror opened (and so did Crush Coaster earlier that year).

DLP was profitable and had good attendance throughout the second half of the 90s. That's part of the reason why they went ahead with a second gate.

Last edited:

Animaniac93-98

• Mystic Manor is presented as an anomaly because original attractions which aren’t based on cartoon IP are apparently difficult for Imagineers?

But the episode also (rightfully) praises the ride and implies it contributed to the park turning a profit.

So if Disney can build popular, original rides, why don't they do it more often? Because it's hard? Isn't the point that "all rides are a challenge"?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
But wow, this episode went out of its way to say, “Cartoon IPs are good, original attractions are too risky, and fans do more harm than good.”

Funny, I remember in various episodes imagineers talking about some bad ideas they had that never got implemented, plus the failures that did get implemented. And the fans' bad reaction to the failures were warranted (cf. DCA).

And while the show said OLC wanted IPs, they talked about how they didn't do that for Hong Kong sensibilities.

tirian

Funny, I remember in various episodes imagineers talking about some bad ideas they had that never got implemented, plus the failures that did get implemented. And the fans' bad reaction to the failures were warranted (cf. DCA).

And while the show said OLC wanted IPs, they talked about how they didn't do that for Hong Kong sensibilities.
You’re right, and this is why the fifth episode feels so much like a weird propaganda film to promote Bob Iger. It’s really quite strange to hear the narration suddenly backtrack to justify every decision he made.

But hey, he added trees! ;)

tirian

What about the ending where they discuss about the impact of 2011 Tsunami at Tokyo Disneyland?

Also is nobody going to talk about the Alice figure in the background who appears to have a face projection? Am I the only person who notices that?

That was another odd edit. Post-9/11, the actual quote ended with, “Take your family to Disney World.” That was a powerful statement from the U.S. President. Then in Tokyo, TDL’s quiet opening was indeed a sign that everything was okay; but in a city of millions, where the resort is outside the main core, was it actually as impactful as the Imagineer interpreted? I guess we’ll never know.

The footage was great though. :)

brb1006

That was another odd edit. Post-9/11, the actual quote ended with, “Take your family to Disney World.” That was a powerful statement from the U.S. President. Then in Tokyo, TDL’s quiet opening was indeed a sign that everything was okay; but in a city of millions, where the resort is outside the main core, was it actually as impactful as the Imagineer interpreted? I guess we’ll never know.

The footage was great though. :)
I'm still curious on the Alice figure with the projected face.

Donaldfan1934

To be fair, I don’t think it’s too much of a spin for them to paint most of the projects from the first half of the Iger era as overall positively received additions, especially the cases of DCA 2.0, the HKDL expansion and Ratatouille at WDSP. It wasn’t until Chapek was brought in where the more controversial decisions really came into play. I think @tirian said it best earlier in the thread while comparing Iger to Eisner:
Iger has followed Eisner’s trajectory: great work in the early years, blinded by greed and stock performance in the later ones. Eisner’s version was to cut WDI budgets and create direct-to-video trash. Iger’s has been to cut park operational expenses, jack up prices, and use cookie-cutter formulas to churn out movies.
While I don’t think anyone’s expecting Episode 6 to touch on current perceptions of management, I do still think it’ll be a great look behind the scenes of their most recent and upcoming attractions. I’ve loved what the series has done so far and will miss anticipating a new episode each week when it’s over.

tirian

There's a world of difference between "this is bad," and the verbiage and hostility that comes out nowadays.
Look at what’s happening with the actor and actress in that stupid exercise bike ad. They’re receiving threats because morons can’t differentiate between real life and a TV commercial, and in today’s culture, it’s cool to be easily offended. People pick one side and stick to it despite all common sense.

This attitude absolutely transfers to the theme parks. Right now in the ROTR thread, people are wasting time arguing over whether APs or on-site hotel guests should have priority at getting boarding passes.

In the fifth episode, when Kim Irvine mentions how the IASW job made her afraid to walk around where people might recognize her, I believe her.

DoleWhipDrea

Look at what’s happening with the actor and actress in that stupid exercise bike ad. They’re receiving threats because morons can’t differentiate between real life and a TV commercial, and in today’s culture, it’s cool to be easily offended. People pick one side and stick to it despite all common sense.

This attitude absolutely transfers to the theme parks. Right now in the ROTR thread, people are wasting time arguing over whether APs or on-site hotel guests should have priority at getting boarding passes.

In the fifth episode, when Kim Irvine mentions how the IASW job made her afraid to walk around where people might recognize her, I believe her.

Still...Kim Irvine and other Imagineers are afraid of the fans? When fans have complained online, they haven’t called for the heads of Imagineers. They’ve been upset with the higher-ups that truly make these decisions (businessmen who aren’t creatives whose one focus seems to generally be to sell merchandise.) We love Imagineers. Many want to be Imagineers and idolize them.

It’s disheartening that this is what is taken away from the discourse fans have had over the years.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom