Trip Report It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas! *COMPLETED*

The soothing croon of Michael Bublé kept reverberating in my mind as I pondered starting yet another trip report. Like summer, the Christmas season makes me happy. Going to WDW during the Christmas season makes me VERY HAPPY. The joy of sharing my trips with my WDWMAGIC friends makes me happier still. Thank you for the encouragement to keep on writing!

Holiday Vacation #1
When: November 16-23, 2019
Where: Disney’s Pop Century Resort and Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Who: Tuvalu and Woody

Looky! I finally got a Magic Shot!

8C56E00E-3234-4EFE-BE77-9111D4282F2B.jpeg

Okay, so it’s a bit creepy. But it leaves no doubt that this was a CHRISTMAS trip.

In mid-November. :hilarious:

But hey, we had Halloween in August!

And yours truly was very excited to experience Christmas decor at the resorts and in 3 of the 4 parks. (Epcot was still in full “Food and Wine” mode.) It wasn’t always this festive in November. We’ve been this same week in the past and outside of MK, there was very little decorating completed. I was so disappointed the year we stayed at WL (very close to turkey day) and missed out on the holiday stuff. I was worried the same thing would happen again. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Woody, on the other hand, is a “Let’s celebrate Thanksgiving before shifting our focus to Christmas” kind of guy. Growing up, his family did not put up their tree until CHRISTMAS EVE. (Can you imagine?!!) Over the years he has mellowed, thanks to my influence, and better tolerates the Christmas creep. Yet I was concerned that his inner Scrooge might reveal itself during this vacation.

I needn’t have worried. But I’m getting ahead of myself again.

Our week consisted of some new experiences and old experiences....some frustrations....some drama (of course!)....and a very magical meet.

Stay tuned.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I’m late, but I’m in! With the snow we saw this weekend (and the snow that is falling right now) and the Christmas tree we hauled home today, it’s really starting to look like Christmas by us :happy:
You’re excused. ;) :cat:

So I was wandering aimlessly through the forum, minding my own business, when I tripped upon another @Tuvalu trip report. Any damage done will soon be taken care of by what I am sure will be multiple inspirational photos and observations.
Yay, yeha, yeah, etc...
Darn, you found me before I could call you out in my Sonny’s post!!

Ohh so excited to read another Tuvalu trip report!
Too bad you’re not in it. :cry:

I've read so many of your trip reports the last few years but never said hello - until today. Hi, @Tuvalu ! Thanks for sharing your adventures with us - looking forward to this one as always
Mele Kalikimaka, @mynamestitch! Come on in, the water’s fine!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
So what was my motivation for choosing this resort?

View attachment 429955

The Blazing Buckets of Death!

View attachment 429958
Yes my friends, Tuvalu is a brave and fearless conqueror!

I’d received our room text an hour earlier and was pleased to be in my favorite decade again.

View attachment 429956
Disco rules!

While I have stayed at Pop Century several times, this was only Woody’s second stay. He’s not a big fan of the value resorts. However he was willing to try a recently refurbished room with access to the Skyliner.

He was enamored with the giant Big Wheel in front of our building. 😁

View attachment 429957

Would he like the inside?

This is actually year three that our December January February trips brought extremely cold temps. When I left in November the temps warmed the very next day. Oy. Wish me better weather in a few days. #BREAKTHECYCLE

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I'm chiming in!
My Dad always put the Christmas tree up after we went to bed on Christmas Eve. They told us that Santa brought the tree and the presents! I bought that explanation until I was older and we started putting the tree up before Christmas. It must be the older generation that did that because the trees were live and they wouldn't last more than a week, which was stretching it in our case.
Anyway, happy for another Tuvalu TR:)

I always have a real tree and it lasts about 4 weeks, just as long as it's watered consistently. :)

Plus, I live in a colder area (and I don't keep the high on too high). Did you live in a warmer climate, back when you were a kid? (That might be why the tree didn't last beyond a week.)

Big Hair

Po
So what was my motivation for choosing this resort?

View attachment 429955

The Blazing Buckets of Death!

View attachment 429958
Yes my friends, Tuvalu is a brave and fearless conqueror!

I’d received our room text an hour earlier and was pleased to be in my favorite decade again.

View attachment 429956
Disco rules!

While I have stayed at Pop Century several times, this was only Woody’s second stay. He’s not a big fan of the value resorts. However he was willing to try a recently refurbished room with access to the Skyliner.

He was enamored with the giant Big Wheel in front of our building. 😁

View attachment 429957

Would he like the inside?
Aah, the Pop, the first resort stay of the new era for me. My sentimental favorite and the best value resort in my humble opinion. Although I havent stayed at AoA yet it would take a lot of special magic for it to knock off Pop from the top of the value list.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, con’t

Our room was on the second floor which pleased us, as we were able to take the stairs (rather than the elevator) during our stay. Though I had seen pictures of the new Pop rooms, I was still excited for the big reveal when Woody opened the door.

572BC432-6CF7-4677-918D-F0DECB56E264.jpeg

First impression? IKEA functionality ~ clean lines, everything designed with a specific purpose. I am a practical person, so I liked the new features. But I prefer carpet in a hotel room (yup, I’m a dinosaur) and I missed the “decade” theming that the rooms formerly had. Nothing in this room indicated we were at Pop Century Resort. We could have been at a Hampton Inn....if not for the Mickey Mouse lighting.

2B9CA1E6-5AB3-437D-911C-F96E434274D0.jpeg

The Murphy bed/table combo was a cool feature. I found the large table useful, though Woody thought it was awkwardly large for 2 people. There was a sign indicating that NO OBJECTS were to be on the table when we left for the day. We decided the reason must be in case the housekeeper needed access to the bed. Since we did not use the bed, I was fine with leaving stuff on the table. Woody was not. He is a rule follower so our table was kept clear for housekeeping!

9FF320F3-511E-4D4A-BAD6-A3AD4F7922DA.jpeg

The room had ample space for two people, but with the second bed pulled down I imagine it could be cramped with three or four guests.

Speaking of cramped, my biggest problem with the room was the narrow space between the bed and the wall. I had to turn sideways to walk each time I got out of bed. Closing the barn door to the bathroom area only freed up another inch or so of space.

A180D5B4-B28B-46C6-B0EF-AB86FF511385.jpeg

(Note to @MinnieM123 ~ that’s MY alarm clock! 😉)

If you like pillows, this room is for you! There were 8 (count’em, 8!) pillows on the bed to choose from.

652B98BB-89B2-43FD-8191-988078BE607C.jpeg

Yes, I know four of them were for the Murphy bed. But since we only used one bed, it was a pillow-palooza!!
The pillows were very comfy, as were the super-soft sheets and mattress ~ definitely a step-up from value rooms of yore.

The mini-fridge (bottom left) was a good size and had a glass door. The fridge had an interior light. WARNING: If the door is not completely closed when you turn in for the night, you will have a VERY BRIGHT nightlight for your room. Don’t ask me how I know.

D40DB341-C866-4D6C-8D02-400EBF76F989.jpeg

The sliding door on the tub was 100% better than a shower curtain.

7A36BF6A-F263-4459-8CD7-056F8CDE2AA5.jpeg

I did not care for the sink. It protruded too much into my personal space. I think it would be difficult for a child to use when brushing his teeth.

AFFA03BF-2465-4557-9DE1-3508E6D53F99.jpeg

We did a quick unpack and then headed for the reason we came to Pop.

Last edited:

93boomer

Premium Member
Saturday, con’t

Our room was on the second floor which pleased us, as we were able to take the stairs (rather than the elevator) during our stay. Though I had seen pictures of the new Pop rooms, I was still excited for the big reveal when Woody opened the door.

View attachment 430027

First impression? IKEA functionality ~ clean lines, everything designed with a specific purpose. I am a practical person, so I liked the new features. But I prefer carpet in a hotel room (yup, I’m a dinosaur) and I missed the “decade” theming that the rooms formerly had. Nothing in this room indicated we were at Pop Century Resort. We could have been at a Hampton Inn....if not for the Mickey Mouse lighting.

View attachment 430028

The Murphy bed/table combo was a cool feature. I found the large table useful, though Woody thought it was awkwardly large for 2 people. There was a sign indicating that NO OBJECTS were to be on the table when we left for the day. We decided the reason must be in case the housekeeper needed access to the bed. Since we did not use the bed, I was fine with leaving stuff on the table. Woody was not. He is a rule follower so our table was kept clear for housekeeping!

View attachment 430032

The room had ample space for two people, but with the second bed pulled down I imagine it could be cramped with three or four guests.

Speaking of cramped, my biggest problem with the room was the narrow space between the bed and the wall. I had to turn sideways to walk each time I got out of bed. Closing the barn door to the bathroom area only freed up another inch or so of space.

View attachment 430030
(Note to @MinnieM123 ~ that’s MY alarm clock! 😉)

If you like pillows, this room is for you! There were 8 (count’em, 8!) pillows on the bed to choose from.

View attachment 430029

Yes, I know four of them were for the Murphy bed. But since we only used one bed, it was a pillow-palooza!!
The pillows were very comfy, as were the super-soft sheets and mattress ~ definitely a step-up from value rooms of yore.

The mini-fridge (bottom left) was a good size and had a glass door. The fridge had an interior light. WARNING: If the door is not completely closed when you turn in for the night, you will have a VERY BRIGHT nightlight for your room. Don’t ask me how I know.

View attachment 430031

The sliding door on the tub was 100% better than a shower curtain.

View attachment 430033

I did not care for the sink. It protruded too much into my personal space. I think it would be difficult for a child to use when brushing his teeth.

View attachment 430034

We did a quick unpack and then headed for the reason we came to Pop.
Definitely Ikea-ish! I agree that it does lack some Disney touches.
Did you only have one sink? I definitely don’t like that. I do not like to share my sink.🤣
I prefer glass shower doors over curtains too. It seems like you have more elbow room in the shower with doors. Overall nice room though.
Was it quiet in your room? Years, and I mean, years ago, we stayed at ASMovies. Never again-got tired of our neighbors conversations each night! 😉

Darstarr

In the Parks
No

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Po

Aah, the Pop, the first resort stay of the new era for me. My sentimental favorite and the best value resort in my humble opinion. Although I havent stayed at AoA yet it would take a lot of special magic for it to knock off Pop from the top of the value list.

AoA likely won't ever beat out Pop for you. Unless your thing is themed pools with Disney characters. It's more expensive, the walls are paper thin, the beds aren't super comfortable, and it's a long walk to get anywhere from the value rooms. But man, does my daughter love the theme-ing and the pools. So we are staying there for our next trip. But only one night because it's painful.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Did you only have one sink? I definitely don’t like that. I do not like to share my sink.🤣

Was it quiet in your room? Years, and I mean, years ago, we stayed at ASMovies. Never again-got tired of our neighbors conversations each night! 😉
Just one sink, same in all the Values. It will not surprise you that I also prefer having a sink of my own.

In regards to room quietness? Stay tuned.

Blazing Buckets of Death :hilarious: . I can't believe some of the comments made regarding the Skyliner.
Blame the internet where EVERYONE is free to voice their ignorance. :banghead:

Very very late, but excited to see another @Tuvalu TR!
And I am excited to see you here!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom