News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

Incomudro

Who wants to be social with a bunch of Disney dweebs?
[/QUOT
The only pressure would be the fear of being judged by someone. And even if you dont speak to them, they can still judge you or form an opinion. If a persons anxiety is that severe, then they shouldnt ride the gondolas. Disney built the gondoals to transport people, not cater to their disorders.

It's not a disorder.
The majority of people (Americans certainly) are uncomfortable in a small container face to face with a couple of others.
I'm not making this up, it's simply the way most people are.

TrainsOfDisney

It's not a disorder.
The majority of people (Americans certainly) are uncomfortable in a small container face to face with a couple of others.

And yet outside of Disney I’ve ridden similar systems in Colorado, New Hampshire and Maine and been seated with other passengers. I’m not making this up, it’s simply the way it works.

Goofyernmost

And nothing indicates whether or not the Skyliner runs before EMH starts.... I've been told to "ask the front desk when I arrive"
It seems like a given that if they are offering EMH at DHS or EPCOT that the people that are staying in the Gondola resorts would need transportation to get there. The only reason I can think of that they might not be running is if they are broken down.

joelkfla

It seems like a given that if they are offering EMH at DHS or EPCOT that the people that are staying in the Gondola resorts would need transportation to get there. The only reason I can think of that they might not be running is if they are broken down.
Other possible reasons include:
  • Staffing
  • Cost of running Skyliner vs. buses for the anticipated number of riders
  • Maintenance time requirments

lazyboy97o

And yet outside of Disney I’ve ridden similar systems in Colorado, New Hampshire and Maine and been seated with other passengers. I’m not making this up, it’s simply the way it works.
As we’ve learned from this thread, the people who ride gondola systems elsewhere in the world, especially those who are skiing, are somehow the most exceptional people in the world. In every way they are the superior humans, smarter and more athletic, charming in small talk and never distracted on vacation.

Heppenheimer

As we’ve learned from this thread, the people who ride gondola systems elsewhere in the world, especially those who are skiing, are somehow the most exceptional people in the world. In every way they are the superior humans, smarter and more athletic, charming in small talk and never distracted on vacation.
Nah, we just don't flip out when something doesn't go 100% according to plan.

But as for more athletic... um, yes, quite a bit more athletic on average compared to Disney guests.

TrainsOfDisney

I have no issue sharing an intimate space with strangers on a gondola. But my goodness. How crazy that others can't see how that would be very uncomfortable for some.

To me it’s about the same size as a monorail cabin. I’ve been in a cabin with only a couple of other people and didn’t feel more or less awkward than a crowded monorail. I mean people can be uncomfortable around strangers, but I don’t understand why the gondola should be any different.

Personally I feel like sharing a table at Biergarten is more awkward, yet that’s been going on since opening day of Epcot. I personally enjoyed that experience though.

LittleBuford

It's not a disorder.

I respect that some (I doubt it’s most) people feel this way. Such people should not ride the Skyliner, as it’s likely they’ll have to share their cabin with strangers at some point. Come to think of it, there are multiple ride vehicles in the parks themselves that place guests in even closer proximity. Those who dislike being in small spaces with strangers are going to have a tough time of it in WDW, whether they ride the Skyliner or not.

LittleBuford

I have no issue sharing an intimate space with strangers on a gondola. But my goodness. How crazy that others can't see how that would be very uncomfortable for some.

I will say that it surprises me that it would be uncomfortable for those who frequent WDW, for the reasons I outlined in my last post. Being placed in confined spaces with strangers is pretty much unavoidable at Disney.

Goofyernmost

Other possible reasons include:
  • Staffing
  • Cost of running Skyliner vs. buses for the anticipated number of riders
  • Maintenance time requirments
It takes many more bus drivers to do the same thing as the Skyliner, it isn't just one bus involved, so if buses are being run, it is for a different reason. The drivers are paid more because of CDL requirements and buses don't run on air. Whereas the Skyliner could be run by management if necessary especially if the demand is low. Special events like that would be figured into the maintenance schedule so unless, like I said, there is a breakdown that caused maintenance to hold them up, that should never become a problem and if it was that is the reason that I listed. Not to mention the high pitched screaming coming from the guests that picked the Gondola resort because they wanted to ride in the Gondola. I don't see where it would be beneficial to have EMH and then not use their constantly running option instead of a bus.

RobWDW1971

I will say that it surprises me that it would be uncomfortable for those who frequent WDW, for the reasons I outlined in my last post. Being placed in confined spaces with strangers is pretty much unavoidable at Disney.

This is no longer a problem thanks to the wonderful invention of a smartphone in your hand at all times.

Any time I feel someone in a queue or near me gearing up to pepper me with intrusive, personal questions such as “Where are you from? How long are you here?,” etc. you just stare down in a laser focus on your phone and do a lot of swiping and opening and closing of apps until their conversational energy subsides. :)

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
I enjoyed the gondolas as an attraction. Mid November still not reliable enough to count on as transportation but I believe it will improve. Stuck out there twice for 20~30 minutes did get old, something I have not experienced on buses boats or ferries. But when operating correctly the long queue is walked through in a few minutes and loading of carts and wheelchair is glide on simple. Stroller people could use some practice

The restrooms are near the load points. Given the stalling of the gondolas frequently my advice is always use the restroom proactively. It isn’t like a bus you are likely to miss the next gondola is only seconds behind.

jinx8402

I enjoyed the gondolas as an attraction. Mid November still not reliable enough to count on as transportation but I believe it will improve. Stuck out there twice for 20~30 minutes did get old, something I have not experienced on buses boats or ferries. But when operating correctly the long queue is walked through in a few minutes and loading of carts and wheelchair is glide on simple. Stroller people could use some practice

The restrooms are near the load points. Given the stalling of the gondolas frequently my advice is always use the restroom proactively. It isn’t like a bus you are likely to miss the next gondola is only seconds behind.
You must have had some bad luck. I was there mid November and rode almost a dozen times with a single stop of 30 seconds (and a second close call of a 30 second stop right after we got off).

I did experience a 30+ minute delay on a bus though when a charter bus that Disney called in for MK closing got lost when a section of road was closed near pop century. Felt bad for the guy, but we had to give him directions. Gondolas, hopefully, can't get lost 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom