Disney plus Imagineering

Animaniac93-98

Amazing to see Tom Morris drop the 7.3 attractions per guest per day metric that continues to guide the parks experience today, except you're now waiting an hour instead of 15 minutes.

And this is why WDSP opened with just 9 "experiences".

Tom just deserves more love all around. Hong Kong Disneyland could have easily been a lot worse.

His twitter account is a lot of fun to read.

But you can see where in HK they ran out of money. A good example would be the buildings that flank either side of the castle. The interior of the Princess cafeteria is particularly flat, boxy and lacking in texture compared with the Cinderella restaurants in WDW and DLP. What's also sad is that Be Our Guest isn't that much better despite the higher budget.

Still, their Adventureland looks great and so does Tomorrowland at night. The park is elevated significantly by its natural surroundings.

flynnibus

Premium Member
When people complain about "if you hate Disney so much... why are you here..." etc kind of crap... I simply point to the the content being discussed in these shows. This is the stuff that the simple 'consumer' doesn't get (nor should they have to) but they can't get out of their own shoes to grasp how this kind of success is not just popping something popular down in a park and calling it a day.

These shows really make me miss the kind of content the company used to put out.. even on the kid focused Disney Channel of the 80s. Sure alot of it is promotional.. but the 'making the magic' element is so powerful in the Disney universe. I wish they invested alot more into the telling of those tales.

Last edited:

Stevek

I do love the honesty and openness they've exhibited so far...even to go as far as including Hench's comment about DCA being better as a parking lot. I certainly did not expect that but as someone else said, I don't expect that level of "criticism" to continue in later episodes.

Sharon&Susan

I'm honestly surprised at how brutally honest they were about Disney Studios Paris. There were at least SOME positive things said about DCA and I'd say most of DCA 1.0 is gone, but DSP is the same park to this day just with more rides. And DSP 2.0 isn't going to completely fix "the soundstage problem" especially when it comes to the main entrance courtyard and the animation studio.

Communicora

Premium Member
I do love the honesty and openness they've exhibited so far...even to go as far as including Hench's comment about DCA being better as a parking lot. I certainly did not expect that but as someone else said, I don't expect that level of "criticism" to continue in later episodes.
My fear is that they allowed this in order to set up a great new creative resurgence in the next two episodes.

lazyboy97o

My fear is that they allowed this in order to set up a great new creative resurgence in the next two episodes.
Of course they did. They’ll ignore Iger’s years as President and COO, his being Eisner’s chosen successor, his view that the theme park business was dead, his attempt to sell off the parks, years of under investment, his continued employment of Jay Rasulo and Tom Staggs, the continued use of Paul Pressler’s business model, billions spent on schemes to not build attractions, out of control costs and a mandate to not dream wildly but only to copy what sells well at the box office or big box store.

brb1006

When people complain about "if you hate Disney so much... why are you here..." etc kind of crap... I simply point to the the content being discussed in these shows. This is the stuff that the simple 'consumer' doesn't get (nor should they have to) but they can't get out of their own shoes to grasp how this kind of success is not just popping something popular down in a park and calling it a day.

These shows really make me miss the kind of content the company used to put out.. even on the kid focused Disney Channel of the 80s. Sure alot of it is promotional.. but the 'making the magic' element is so powerful in the Disney universe. I wish they invested alot more into the telling of those tales.
Does anybody remember the show "Imagineer That!" (the original version starring Tom Morrow 2.0)?

mickEblu

Of course they did. They’ll ignore Iger’s years as President and COO, his being Eisner’s chosen successor, his view that the theme park business was dead, his attempt to sell off the parks, years of under investment, his continued employment of Jay Rasulo and Tom Staggs, the continued use of Paul Pressler’s business model, billions spent on schemes to not build attractions, out of control costs and a mandate to not dream wildly but only to copy what sells well at the box office or big box store.

Was Staggs all that bad? He green lit Grizzly Peak Airfield so he’s OK in my book.

mickEblu

They are going to tout high budget projects as saving the parks. Funny how a high budget didn’t make Pixar Pier or GE any good. Money isn’t everything.

I don’t know the exact numbers for Pixar Pier although I heard it was expensive. It still doesn’t mean it’s enough money to re-dress an entire land properly. Pixar Pier is just poor planning and bad choices. Spend that money on something that moves the needle instead. Like a quality Pixar dark ride for the Pier.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

Somewhere I heard $100M for Pixar Pier. Can you imagine that? $100M for what ended up being one of the worst changes to that park.

I only hope that is hype - if that is even half true it’s the worst investment in Disney history. Just invest that in a new, capacity adding attraction and save on the Jack Jack’s on a Stick and Buzz Lightyear with a churro in his mouth.

93C9E0C1-CFD0-42D5-A3BD-A418108BF8B8.jpeg

RobWDW1971

Yeah, but this is just some roller coaster through India or whatever.

It doesn't have the same, immersive, emotional appeal as a snow cone stand named after a tertiary character from a 20 year old Pixar movie.

That doesn’t even sell yellow snow cones!!!! That was the entire joke!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom