NBA Experience at Disney Springs

NoChesterHester

The NBA experience will not last.

I wounder how it works?
The NBA (or whoever) is the tenant, Disney is the landlord.
I suspect the tenant paid for all the renovations?
I also suspect there is a multi year lease?
I suspect there was a large non refundable deposit made by the tenant at the beginning?

I suspect there is NO risk whatsoever for Disney. When this fails, Disney just gets a new tenant for the space.

Not likely. While the tenant would be on the hook for a multi year lease it is very unlikely that it is the NBA proper. It is probably a shell company that will dissolve Upon default. Worst case for the NBA is exercising what is likely an early termination clause.

The landlord (Disney) likely fronted significant build-out money in a lump sum payment as part of the very large lease that the NBA Experience signed. They will definitely lose money on the deal. And it is bad press.

Lastly, at the rents Disney is charging and the size of this venue don’t be surprised if it sits vacant for quite some time (if it goes under). It is not easy to fill this kind of space. This isn’t 1998.

My bet is Disney will lower the rate to keep them in business and try to help them drive traffic. It will be a while before they throw in the towel.

Tom Morrow

I'll preface this by saying I have zero interest in the NBA or sports in general. I had very little knowledge about what the NBA Experience even was, but I got in free thanks to some CM friends.

I found the explanation of the activities inside to be a bit misleading. I assumed it was some sort of personalized coaching experience/tournament/whatever where you pay a flat fee and participate in a bunch of activities intended to mimic training, honing in on skills, etc, and you'd leave with a personalized video of your experience or something. This made me not even want to go in as I would feel like a fool going through that. However, I was way off, it's more like DisneyQuest But For Basketball. Personally, I have a hard time seeing how even a big NBA follower would be entertained enough inside to justify the admission price. There just isn't really that much to do, and the games/attractions that are there are very one-and-done. Either you already play basketball and the activities are nothing special, or you don't play and you'll stumble through them awkwardly if you even want to try them at all. So in other words its simultaneously not casual enough for non-fans/basketball players and not in-depth enough for those who do follow/play. Not a good fit for Disney Springs, I think, and I do think Disney Springs severely needs more entertainment venues to balance out the retail and dining.

Last edited:

GladToBeHear

I'll preface this by saying I have zero interest in the NBA or sports in general. I had very little knowledge about what the NBA Experience even was, but I got in free thanks to some CM friends.

I found the explanation of the activities inside to be a bit misleading. I assumed it was some sort of personalized coaching experience/tournament/whatever where you pay a flat fee and participate in a bunch of activities intended to mimic training, honing in on skills, etc, and you'd leave with a personalized video of your experience or something. This made me not even want to go in as I would feel like a fool going through that. However, I was way off, it's more like DisneyQuest But For Basketball. Personally, I have a hard time seeing how even a big NBA follower would be entertained enough inside to justify the admission price. There just isn't really that much to do, and the games/attractions that are there are very one-and-done. Either you already play basketball and the activities are nothing special, or you don't play and you'll stumble through them awkwardly if you even want to try them at all. So in other words its simultaneously not casual enough for non-fans/basketball players and not in-depth enough for those who do follow/play. Not a good fit for Disney Springs, I think, and I do think Disney Springs severely needs more entertainment venues to balance out the retail and dining.
Great assessment. This seemed like too much of a niche attraction from the get-go. I'll probably never step foot in it. And I'm a basketball fan.

Lilofan

Great assessment. This seemed like too much of a niche attraction from the get-go. I'll probably never step foot in it. And I'm a basketball fan.
Probably why Iger went to the NBA Grand Opening hoping to drum up support. He usually makes public appearances for much bigger events such as movie premieres or a theme park opening.

Lilofan

Weren't the ESPN attractions and venues in the Disney area also somewhat of a failure?
ESPN at WDW gets athletic business throughout the year but after 20 years the Atlanta Braves decided to not return and will have their spring training on the west coast of FL. ESPN also lost the Tampa Bay Bucs when after a number of years at ESPN, the football team instead holds their summer training near Tampa.

seascape

ESPN at WDW gets athletic business throughout the year but after 20 years the Atlanta Braves decided to not return and will have their spring training on the west coast of FL. ESPN also lost the Tampa Bay Bucs when after a number of years at ESPN, the football team instead holds their summer training near Tampa.
ESPN ar WDW is a huge success but most people will never understand. The purpose of the area is to bring sports teams and cheerleadering teams to WDW for competitions and in turn visit the parks. It is the same reason they go after the convention business. Vacationers are great but having other things that attract people to WDW are critical to the bottom line. It is also the reason for Run Disney.

Disstevefan1

The NBA experience is Disney owned and operated.
So in Disney’s extensive research they thought it made better business sense to demolish Disney quest and put up this NBA experience instead of simply giving Disney quest a refresh?

I don’t get it, but then again I don’t get pandora, Disney’s version of Star Wars, or the skyliner...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
ESPN ar WDW is a huge success but most people will never understand. The purpose of the area is to bring sports teams and cheerleadering teams to WDW for competitions and in turn visit the parks. It is the same reason they go after the convention business. Vacationers are great but having other things that attract people to WDW are critical to the bottom line. It is also the reason for Run Disney.

Yeah, that fact that they just built a new good sized stadium at ESPN is an indication that it is doing well.

Hawkeye_2018

I've been to the College Basketball experience in KC multiple times and the crowds were always fairly low. The NFL had one in NY that had to close as well. Is there an example of these things being a big success?

DisneyOutsider

Iger even showed up for the Grand Opening for NBA which is highly unusual. He usually shows up when there is a grand opening for a theme park not even for a new land or resort.
Doesn't Iger love sports and hate theme parks? That may be why.
Probably why Iger went to the NBA Grand Opening hoping to drum up support. He usually makes public appearances for much bigger events such as movie premieres or a theme park opening.

It's important to understand that Bob Iger's corporation pays Adam Silver's corporation BILLIONS of dollars every year for the broadcast rights to NBA games via ESPN including the NBA Finals (the championship series) exclusively on ABC.

Bob Iger showed up to the opening of this facility because if Adam Silver is in town you damn well better make an effort. They are business partners on a multi-billion dollar level. I don't really care to argue whether the experience is a failure or why DisneyQuest failed, but discussions about why it exists in the first place need to be viewed through this lens.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It's important to understand that Bob Iger's corporation pays Adam Silver's corporation BILLIONS of dollars every year for the broadcast rights to NBA games via ESPN including the NBA Finals (the championship series) exclusively on ABC.

Bob Iger showed up to the opening of this facility because if Adam Silver is in town you damn well better make an effort. They are business partners on a multi-billion dollar level. I don't really care to argue whether the experience is a failure or why DisneyQuest failed, but discussions about why it exists in the first place need to be viewed through this lens.
Yes this is exactly it. And while Disney obviously want it to do well, there is a much bigger picture to consider.

techgeek

Disney operated or not, do we know who’s actually responsible for the lackluster ‘experiences’? Was it actually designed and installed by Disney / WDI, or did NBA themselves come up with this and executed it through a 3rd party? It certainly doesn’t have the feel of a WDI product.

RobWDW1971

Disney operated or not, do we know who’s actually responsible for the lackluster ‘experiences’? Was it actually designed and installed by Disney / WDI, or did NBA themselves come up with this and executed it through a 3rd party? It certainly doesn’t have the feel of a WDI product.

If WDI did it you would only shoot hoops on your phone on an app and be part of a needless, complicated backstory nobody cares about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom