The Chit Chat Chit Chat Thread

93boomer

Premium Member
I just finished "When We Believed in Mermaids" by Barbara O'Neal. Amazon gives Prime members a free "first pick" every month, a new release from their choices. Well, usually I wait until the end of the month when others have reviewed the books and pick the best reviewed one because some of them have been lousy. This one was an exception, it was quite good. It's about two sisters, one who's an addict. They think the one sister died in a train bombing in Paris, but then they find she faked her own death to overcome her addiction, so the other sister goes to look for her when they realize it. It was a good read. I might read it again one day.
I started to choose that one. I usually just pick one and add it to my library. Some I haven’t got around to reading yet.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I don't understand what's weird about that. You see someone you know, isn't it normal to combine tables unless it's a really special occasion you're celebrating in a more intimate group.

I'm so sorry to hear that! Have you gotten the date for the MRO and xrays now? I saw you got the electrical issue fixed. Did you perhaps ask the neighbor how much rewiring will cost? Since you said it's old and probably needs to be done, maybe he can help you out without you having to pay big company prices.

My husband always drives a little slower than the speed limit. Most people speed, so we get passed left and right, but it saves gas apparently, and it was just on the news this morning that they are going to reduce all the speed limits to 100km/h from 130. DH drives 100 anyway, so it won't change anything for us. I doubt people will follow it anyway.

Why wouldn't people in NJ know how to pump gas?

Isn't this standard? We had to learn how to change a tire, how to check oil and transmission fluid, how to add oil or transmission fluid, and wiper fluid, how to use jumper cables...we learned it all in drivers ed. And I guess Drivers Ed wasn't mandatory, but pretty much every 16 year old took it anyway. Is this not a standard thing everywhere?

Ooooh what book? I just finished Of Blood and Bone by Nora Roberts last night. I checked out Year One at the library last weekend not realizing it was part of a trilogy. It was at least the first book in the trilogy, but then I had to go back and check out the 2nd, and I discovered the third book doesn't come out for 2 more weeks. When I checked the online catalogue on the library website, it doesn't have the 3rd book ordered, and it doesn't list the 2 books they have together as part of a trilogy, so I'm thinking they bought them as stand alone books, not realizing there's a set. So they probably won't get the third one. Their English section is pretty pitiful and I only have a subscription because I got it for free for a year. If I want to renew next year, it's 50 euros, which is not really worth it for the number of books they have in English. But now I have ordered the entire trilogy, pre-ordering the 3rd book so I get to read it, since the library won't be getting it. And I don't want to just own the last book of the trilogy, so I ordered the first 2 as well.
But I love hearing about what other people are reading.

We have a couple states like NJ and Oregon that still have gas attendants so when you pull up you just give them your card and pop the gas cap button and sit in your car. I get yelled at a lot in Oregon because I forget I'm supposed to stay in my car. So if you grew up in one of those states, you might not have ever had to fill your gas tank.

And there are a surprising amount of things you need to know about filling your gas tank. Like avoid diesel at all costs unless you have a diesel engine. Or that you'll likely need to know your zip code for your card. Or how to select which type of gas you want. Or how to identify card stealer readers. Or that you need to twist the gas cap back on until it clicks twice or your gas light might not turn off. Or that you need to shake the gas pump handle a little bit before pulling it out or you'll spill. Or that you don't want to "top off". Or that you can put that little clip down so you don't have to hold the pump. Or that you can pull up on either side and the hose will stretch.... OR that the little arrow on your low gas light shows which side the gas tank opens on.

I can't remember anyone teaching me how to pump gas, but I'm sure someone showed me at least once or twice.

MouseDreaming

Those are two different books/movies, right? A Time to Kill, and To Kill a Mockingbird ? A time to kill is about a black man who murders his daughter's rapists and his trial. To Kill a Mockingbird is about a black man accused of raping white women. So, both about trials of minorities with supposed white victims, but different books /movies. I read To Kill a Mockingbird in school, but never saw the movie. I've seen the movie A Time to Kill and have never read the book!
You are right. I meant To Kill a Mockingbird. I Pad decided I really was referring to the other. Sorry about that. The movie with Gregory Peck is still great. Even my kids agree.

MouseDreaming

Who was the stalker?!

Watch for it on TCM. Much like the book, you don’t want it to end.
I will never know the stalker. I can't believe they dropped it. I was really looking forward to more.

And TCM. I am having TCM withdrawal, thanks to Comcast deciding it really should be part of an upcharged sports package. New year, plans to cut the cord.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I will never know the stalker. I can't believe they dropped it. I was really looking forward to more.

And TCM. I am having TCM withdrawal, thanks to Comcast deciding it really should be part of an upcharged sports package. New year, plans to cut the cord.
Welcome to the cord cutters club. We now have exactly what we want and pay less:joyfull: It took a bit of playing around with services but we have several free ones, Amazon and Disney+ bundle. Amazon did a good special on Starz and Cinemax for 3 months but when the time's up on that it goes.

MouseDreaming

#teamminnie
Breaking news! This just in at 4:30 PM -- updated -- peeps already finishing up their holiday gift purchasesL

SCORE:

Organized individuals: 6

(wdwfan4ver, MySmallWorldof4, figmentfan423, ajrwdwgirl, Rista 13 13, dryerlintfan)

Unorganized/Useless: 3 -- NEW!! :p
(MinnieM123, mrferret88, Tony the Tigger )
Another one for Team Minnie!

Really, I blame birthdays. If I didn't have to figure out what to get the people in my life who have the nerve to be born mid-November to early December, maybe I could figure it all out.

Goofyernmost

Because it's illegal to pump your own gas in New Jersey. They have attendants there. We had a lot of kids come from NJ when I was in college. Soooo many stories about how gas pumps threw them.
I can buy that to an extent, but seriously even with today's technology can there be anything that is simpler to do. As they grew up did they never catch a glimpse of whomever was pumping the gas and notice what they were doing? Is everyone from NJ so intellectual that they spent that time reading classic novels so as to not waste a second of great literature? To me that is a "Here's you sign" moment. Back in the olden days there was only a couple of situations that I can remember where it was a bewilderment. If you owned a 1956 or 1957 Chevy, the gas filler pipe was hidden by a small piece of chrome just above the left rear taillight or in the case of a 1956 the entire tail light folded down to reveal the filler. Also a number of cars had it hidden behind the license plate bracket. You would not believe that number of people that were never able to find it unless someone was there to point it out.

Just for giggles I went to You Tube and to my amazement there were actually short videos showing how to get to that area for both the 56 and 57. Life was so much harder back in the stone age when we had to figure it out on our own or dig out the owners manual. :D

StarWarsGirl

I can buy that to an extent, but seriously even with today's technology can there be anything that is simpler to do. As they grew up did they never catch a glimpse of whomever was pumping the gas and notice what they were doing? Is everyone from NJ so intellectual that they spent that time reading classic novels so as to not waste a second of great literature? To me that is a "Here's you sign" moment. Back in the olden days there was only a couple of situations that I can remember where it was a bewilderment. If you owned a 1956 or 1957 Chevy, the gas filler pipe was hidden by a small piece of chrome just above the left rear taillight or in the case of a 1956 the entire tail light folded down to reveal the filler. Also a number of cars had it hidden behind the license plate bracket. You would not believe that number of people that were never able to find it unless someone was there to point it out.

Just for giggles I went to You Tube and to my amazement there were actually short videos showing how to get to that area for both the 56 and 57. Life was so much harder back in the stone age when we had to figure it out on our own or dig out the owners manual. :D
People my age just sometimes aren't that bright with simple things. The NJ gas thing was so common in college that it was comical.

I have a friend who didn't know how to operate a washing machine until her boyfriend showed her. Considering B can do laundry, that's pretty hysterical.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Welcome to the cord cutters club. We now have exactly what we want and pay less:joyfull: It took a bit of playing around with services but we have several free ones, Amazon and Disney+ bundle. Amazon did a good special on Starz and Cinemax for 3 months but when the time's up on that it goes.

We're cancelling Netflix in December. There's one show I want to finish and then we'll be down to just Amazon and YouTubeTV. Since I pay for a Prime membership for shipping and grocery delivery, and I'm on a family plan for YouTube TV, both costs are negligible. But I do pay $50 a month for my internet so if they could just drop the price on that, that would be great :hilarious: :hilarious:

MouseDreaming

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom