The fallacy of overcrowded parks......

Mickeyboof

Not only do rides constantly operate at 50% capacity, but they’ve closed too many attractions and refused to build new ones for almost 20 years.

They’ve finally started to invest in the parks again, but now they are a construction zone Until further notice.

All while charging a higher price for less.

Scam.

And the new stuff?

Chef Mickey

Scam.

And the new stuff?
Scams imply some sort of false promise. I don’t think Disney promises much of anything And Disney is largely your perspective.

Magic isn’t real, so advertising a “magicial” experience is obviously just hyperbole. You can still have a fantastic time if you know what you’re doing and dont pout over the things I mentioned. It’s not a dealbreaker and there are plenty of positives.

The question becomes, do you like Disney stuff enough?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not only do rides constantly operate at 50% capacity, but they’ve closed too many attractions and refused to build new ones for almost 20 years.

They’ve finally started to invest in the parks again, but now they are a construction zone Until further notice.
But that’s not why they are starting to show fatigue/lag.

You can run space mountain on hot load all that you want...but it’s still 45 years old and hasn’t changed at all.

The problem is that they stopped building them for the future...the minute “horrible Michael” was given the heave...

The reputation the park built - and largely what they drain now - was staying ahead of the crowds and exceeding expectations at every turn...

But here’s the kicker: for EVERYONE that bought a ticket. It wasn’t a caste system.

Everything is being run that way now.

eliza61nyc

Scam.

And the new stuff?
and no where in the constitution does it say you get the stuff at a price you want to pay. You want to control pricing, invent something that you own and you can call the shots. so not so much a scam as your mad because you don't like the price.

Is the new stuff not there?? is it make believe?? are they advertising something that does not actually exist? So when the massive hordes go to star wars land or whatever it's called, is there nothing there?? The rat ride, is it not being built? exactly what's the scam? beside you not liking the price.

John park hopper

IMO the parks are more crowd simply because there are more people in the US now that can and do go ---when WDW opened in 1971 the population was 203 million fast forward 2018 the population was over 300 million. It's not just Disney our national parks are seeing ever increasing numbers of visitors. Disney is not a scam there are enough webs sites (like this one) with just a little bit of research you can find out exactly what you are getting in a Disney vacation. We may complain about pricing but in the end no one is forcing us to go

Last edited:

VaderTron

Over blown advertising occurs in many businesses it is not unique to Disney it's up to us as consumers to filter out what is real and what is crap.
Very true. Yet, many of those qualify as businesses trying to scam customers. So maybe not the best example to diffuse the original thought.

If your business tries to trick customers it says you don't believe in your product enough to let it sell itself through honest advertising.

eliza61nyc

Very true. Yet, many of those qualify as businesses trying to scam customers. So maybe not the best example to diffuse the original thought.

If your business tries to trick customers it says you don't believe in your product enough to let it sell itself through honest advertising.
Again, how is Disney "tricking" any one into going to their parks??

When you purchase a park ticket do you not get into the parks?? What else is implied?? I'm watching a pretty cute commercial now about a baby duck, not one word spoken. Where's the scam

I agree the parks are pack, although I specifically go during a low period but "scam"

I totally understand now why companies put disclaimers at the bottom of their commercials lol, I guess consumers are too stupid to figure out fact from fiction. Does anyone really believe the budweiser Clydesdale play touch football? but it sells beer.

I totally get it, and understand how some may feel it's no longer worth the money but next we'll be saying that mickey is some secret organization out to brain wash everyone??

Last edited:

Joeamc

I dont care what the official or unofficial numbers are, or what crowding may be artificially manufactured by Disney. All I care about is getting enough things done in a park day so it feels like I accomplished something. When I compare with past years, it surely shows less being able to be done and my level of frustration has increased. Outside of the attractions, the once open spaces are super crowded and theres less room to maneuver around. Sure seems more crowded to me.
I think Fastpass+ is one of the main reasons why we can't get as many attractions in as we used to. And Fastpass+ also increases standby wait times..

NCO91590

The parks are also filled with bloggers and vloggers and instagram "celebrities" that go to the parks every single day to post content.

10-15 years ago, it was pretty cost prohibitive for the average family to go to WDW even once a year. Flights are much cheaper now to Orlando for most of the country to get there more often. Now with all the incentives, lower cost hotels, Florida locals pricing, international packages etc, you've got MORE people that come MORE often.

jloucks

The parks are also filled with bloggers and vloggers and instagram "celebrities" that go to the parks every single day to post content.

10-15 years ago, it was pretty cost prohibitive for the average family to go to WDW even once a year. Flights are much cheaper now to Orlando for most of the country to get there more often. Now with all the incentives, lower cost hotels, Florida locals pricing, international packages etc, you've got MORE people that come MORE often.
Is that true? I am not saying you're wrong, I just always thought the opposite to be true. Do you know for a fact or are you postulating?

Tickets in 1986 were $26.
Tickets in 2020 are ~$110.

Adjusted for inflation that would be ~$60 today.

So, I think that Disney Parks actually cost twice as much as they did in the mid 80's. We were dirt poor back then, and we still went. Today, there would have been no way.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Again, how is Disney "tricking" any one into going to their parks??

When you purchase a park ticket do you not get into the parks?? What else is implied?? I'm watching a pretty cute commercial now about a baby duck, not one word spoken. Where's the scam

I agree the parks are pack, although I specifically go during a low period but "scam"

I totally understand now why companies put disclaimers at the bottom of their commercials lol, I guess consumers are too stupid to figure out fact from fiction. Does anyone really believe the budweiser Clydesdale play touch football? but it sells beer.

I totally get it, and understand how some may feel it's no longer worth the money but next we'll be saying that mickey is some secret organization out to brain wash everyone??

I’m not a subscriber to “scam” or “false advertising”.

We know what they’re selling in most respects...it’s up consumer control to call “BS” and the consumers do not.

But if I were to look at one thing that could be construed as “scam”...it’s the ticket media.

They sell tickets by the day or anum...

But with their new trend of late/early closures for upsells with more and more frequency...the argument can be made that “day” is false advertising.

If the park opens at 9 on a Wednesday in February and closes at 8 or 9....then it is closes at 6 or 7 for a “premium” experience on Thursday...

The case can be made that they are not infact providing the product sold each day.

Screwy...but not exactly false.

This.

What’s lost in all our Disney centric discussions is that access and frequency of travel has spread out pretty uniformly since the 1980’s...steady growth.

Disney’s “boat” has risen with that tide. In a way...after the Eisner/Wells buildout...they really haven’t done anything “right”...in a certain way.
That’s why stagnation and overpricing is a big concern for them...if they had management that thought long term...but they don’t.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is that true? I am not saying you're wrong, I just always thought the opposite to be true. Do you know for a fact or are you postulating?

So, I think that Disney Parks actually cost twice as much as they did in the mid 80's. We were dirt poor back then, and we still went. Today, there would have been no way.
They’re not saying the value of the prices are better...

They are saying more people have access to travel and spend larger amounts of money on leisure...which is completely true.

Last edited:

NCO91590

Ha! I definitely have not studied this topic extensively and I'm definitely spit-balling. For our anniversary, we determined it was cheaper (or at least the price was negligible) to fly to WDW, stay at our parents DVC for a week then it was to drive to NYC for a long weekend. I'm just guessing that with Jet Blue/Southwest airlines, POP, All Star, etc more families are able to swing it.

I just think it's funny when people who say they come to the parks multiple times a year get annoyed that the parks are so crowded. It's BECAUSE people can actually go multiple times a year that the parks are crowded 🤷‍♀️

jloucks

Ha! I definitely have not studied this topic extensively and I'm definitely spit-balling. For our anniversary, we determined it was cheaper to fly to WDW, stay at our parents DVC for a week then it was to drive to NYC for a long weekend. I'm just guessing that with Jet Blue/Southwest airlines, POP, All Star, etc more families are able to swing it.

I just think it's funny when people who say they come to the parks multiple times a year get annoyed that the parks are so crowded. It's BECAUSE people can actually go multiple times a year that the parks are crowded 🤷‍♀️
Airline deregulation, I remember that now. I'm guessing a 70% reduction in ticket prices from the mid to early 80's? That would offset the park ticket price for sure. I didn't think about the airflight differential because we could not afford it. We drove for 2.5 days each way. :oops:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom