REVIEW - Docking Bay 7 Food and Cargo at Disney's Hollywood Studios

TrojanUSC

No, I expected it to feel like Disney, but I expected that to be somewhat altered so as to better implement the immersion.
Something this big should not be scrimped on. That seems to be Disney's problem as of late.

In my opinion what they should have done is build an entirely new park dedicated to Star Wars with different lands and a number of new rides and attractions.
The area that is Star Wars land should have been used for some Marvel based rides that do not compromise the Marvel agreement with Universal. The Guardians of the Galaxy coaster would have fit there better that at Epcot.

But then again that would require a larger budget and it appears that Iger is more concerned with building parking garages and hotels for DVC members than he is improving the entertainment at the parks. Then they raise prices at the parks.
That is one of the many reasons the parks are losing money.

If they can't get enough people to care about one land's worth of Star Wars stuff, I can't imagine an entire park - especially with the Disney of 2019.

Lilofan

I tried the dish formerly called braised shaak roast when I was there in September. I was good, albeit a bit salty, but the portion size was disappointing. Maybe 6 pieces of pasta and a very small serving of meat.

Just look at the variety of images online. All the while the price most likely increased...

View attachment 419461
becomes this
View attachment 419462
and then down further to this
View attachment 419463
The very expensive smaller portions combined with walking for miles in the heat and humidity of Orlando would make me lose weight. But in the long run that's a good thing. If I wanted to eat more than 3 times a day with unlimited portions, I would be on a Disney cruise.

BromBones

If they can't get enough people to care about one land's worth of Star Wars stuff, I can't imagine an entire park - especially with the Disney of 2019.

I see your point. The biggest problem is that this land basically ignores the original and prequel trilogies. The stuff that we actually want to see (Mos Eisley Cantina, Java’s Palace, the Lars homestead, The inside of the Death Star and Emperor’s throne room, The Ewok village on Endor, Naboo, etc.) are not there. We want to do the Tatooine Pod Race or the speeder bike chase on Endor. We want to pilot an X-Wing or Tie Fighter and fight against each other.
There was a gold mine of attractions at their disposal and they ignored them all.
Add all of those to a Star Wars Land and we’d be there in droves.
Instead we got “Generic Space Adventure Land”

Monorail_Orange

Ah, disagreeing with someone is now grounds for banning?
No, I simply refused to engage in your childish behavior, despite the temptation. The childish behavior would be grounds for banning.

If you notice, I actually agreed with your point after you stated it in proper context. Again, there is a huge difference between operating at a loss..."losing money" and missing opportunities resulting in lower-than-projected results. While you can describe the latter as "losing money" as it is technically true, that is not the common usage for the term, as I previously explained.

But instead, you'd rather attack and attempt to vilify than reconcile after I extended an olive branch. Hence your nasty "test-passing" remark. Think about that before you respond with another whiny post about the poor treatment you've received since your first post. Yes, other posters jumped on you, but you've had a very nasty demeanor since that first post, and if you're going to dish it out, you'd better be ready to take it.

Now, back OT, it's disappointing that they took the themed names down off the menu. There were perfectly understandable explanations under each item that clearly explained what each was composed of. I can only surmise that guest demand/reaction was that most couldn't understand what they were ordering, despite the description. I know it was part of the overly-contrived immersion, but it was one of the parts that worked, I thought.

Minthorne

The very expensive smaller portions combined with walking for miles in the heat and humidity of Orlando would make me lose weight. But in the long run that's a good thing. If I wanted to eat more than 3 times a day with unlimited portions, I would be on a Disney cruise.

I'd recommend just skipping the meal then. You'd loose more weight that way and save money.

BromBones

There are tons of references and nods to both trilogies all over the land. The biggest one of course is being able to pilot the Millennium Falcon. How that is ignoring the original trilogy I have no idea...

So one forced placement of the Millennium Falcon is enough?
Nods are one thing....but you clearly missed my overall point.
I wrote quote a bit about it. My post spells it out in some pretty nice detail.

BromBones

No, I simply refused to engage in your childish behavior, despite the temptation. The childish behavior would be grounds for banning.

If you notice, I actually agreed with your point after you stated it in proper context. Again, there is a huge difference between operating at a loss..."losing money" and missing opportunities resulting in lower-than-projected results. While you can describe the latter as "losing money" as it is technically true, that is not the common usage for the term, as I previously explained.

But instead, you'd rather attack and attempt to vilify than reconcile after I extended an olive branch. Hence your nasty "test-passing" remark. Think about that before you respond with another whiny post about the poor treatment you've received since your first post. Yes, other posters jumped on you, but you've had a very nasty demeanor since that first post, and if you're going to dish it out, you'd better be ready to take it.

Now, back OT, it's disappointing that they took the themed names down off the menu. There were perfectly understandable explanations under each item that clearly explained what each was composed of. I can only surmise that guest demand/reaction was that most couldn't understand what they were ordering, despite the description. I know it was part of the overly-contrived immersion, but it was one of the parts that worked, I thought.

Show me where I attacked you?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I see your point. The biggest problem is that this land basically ignores the original and prequel trilogies. The stuff that we actually want to see (Mos Eisley Cantina, Java’s Palace, the Lars homestead, The inside of the Death Star and Emperor’s throne room, The Ewok village on Endor, Naboo, etc.) are not there.

We already have three or four threads about the land itself with this critique repeated over and over again (often by the same people).

Can we please have a thread about this restaurant which is just about this restaurant and not whether Luke is roaming the land or whether Rian Johnson is the anti-Christ?

BromBones

We already have three or four threads about the land itself with this critique repeated over and over again (often by the same people).

Can we please have a thread about this restaurant which is just about this restaurant and not whether Luke is roaming the land or whether Rian Johnson is the anti-Christ?

Please type that to the person who brought up the topic. I simply responded to them.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Please type that to the person who brought up the topic. I simply responded to them.

Ok... traced the discussion back...

Ditto to you:

In my opinion what they should have done is build an entirely new park dedicated to Star Wars with different lands and a number of new rides and attractions.
The area that is Star Wars land should have been used for some Marvel based rides that do not compromise the Marvel agreement with Universal. The Guardians of the Galaxy coaster would have fit there better that at Epcot.

RSoxNo1

There are tons of references and nods to both trilogies all over the land. The biggest one of course is being able to pilot the Millennium Falcon. How that is ignoring the original trilogy I have no idea...
The plot of the attraction seems like the goal was to tie it to everything but the original trilogy.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes

It ignores the Original Trilogy because it has a square satellite dish instead of a round one and you can’t go up the ramp. So much fail.

righttrack

OK, I think I'm going to sum up something here. They took away a wonderful, beautiful, geeky and social fan event (Star Wars Weekends) and gave us this land more aimed at the masses. I'm sure geekier fans like myself and others are feeling that. Don't let your feelings get out of hand here though. I will bite my lip and say that we never change but the rest of the world changed. When we were burning the torch for Star Wars, back in the dark times (between Episode VI and I, oh heck between Episode VI and VII) others were focused on other things. Now they've all come around.

Monorail_Orange

Whatever you say, but this one's all on you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom