Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

VaderTron

According to the operator the system was in the process of being cleared of passengers due to high winds so it may not have been luck of the draw that it was empty. It may have been returning to wherever they store the empty cabins during a storm. According to the story the empty cabin blew into a tower causing it to detach. I’m no expert but I would assume an empty cabin would blow around more than one weighed down by passengers.
Unless that cabin had 10 drunk F&W guests purposely swinging the cabin back and forth...or 8 with me and my wife at their mercy.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
A bus doesn't fall 60 feet out of the air and crash to pieces. While more frequent, most accidents on the road involve minor injuries at worst.

By that logic, airplanes are less safe with regard to fatalities than cars because the majority of car accidents aren't fatalities.

And that's not true at all.

_caleb

I am one of those who doesn't believe an actual death is required to establish that something has the potential to kill. I find it foolish to ignore the possibility until proven wrong by tragedy.

That incident was luck of the draw. That cabin just happened to be empty. There were 50 people on those gondolas when it happened. I wonder how many of them are going to ride the gondolas again?
Or maybe it fell *because it was empty.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A bus doesn't fall 60 feet out of the air and crash to pieces. While more frequent, most accidents on the road involve minor injuries at worst.
I bring this over from the original gondola thread:
Reality check: North America's 116 gondola systems have operated without a rider fatality for 41 straight years (not counting this suicide.)
I am going to guess the bus fatalities over the same 41 years is measured in the tens of thousands. Now a heck of a lot more people ride buses but still, 0% is a pretty solid safety stat.

Last edited:

joelkfla

A bus doesn't fall 60 feet out of the air and crash to pieces.
A fall off a 20-foot embankment would probably be just as fatal, and involve more people.

A relevant comparison would be fatalities per passenger mile, or per passenger boarding. I don't have those numbers.

joelkfla

I noticed that they have an update. The accident was caused by high winds. Thank goodness WDW never has high winds.
The winds were in excess of 60 mph. WDW never has winds in excess of 60 mph without advance warning.

tissandtully

Where did all of the "This is the safest transportation system in the world!" people go? They disappeared quicker than pigs in a blanket at a weight watchers meeting.
We’re here, it’s just not that big of a deal. If the cabin had people in it, like the others that were on the same line, it wouldn’t have happened.

Movielover

Warning: Sensitive Material

1 Dead, 18 Injured

6 dead, more than 10 injured

4 dead.

People die in these crashes. Please never make light of traffic accidents again.

Markiewong

I don't even know where to start with how insensitive and inaccurate this comment is.
  • Nearly 1.25 million people die in road crashes each year, on average 3,287 deaths a day.
  • An additional 20-50 million are injured or disabled.
  • More than half of all road traffic deaths occur among young adults ages 15-44.
  • Road traffic crashes rank as the 9th leading cause of death and account for 2.2% of all deaths globally.
  • Road crashes are the leading cause of death among young people ages 15-29, and the second leading cause of death worldwide among young people ages 5-14.
Source

Disstevefan1

Interesting...this gondola in Switzerland released from the cable and crashed to pieces on the ground. Fortunately no one was inside that one, but other riders were in other gondolas. How likely would it be for a cabin to be empty at WDW? :oops:

Maker?

Quote: "The Doppelmayr gondola was built in 2014"

Wow. This comes at a bad time for sure! Here we are worrying about getting stuck in the cabin, NOT the cabins FALLING OFF the cable! Yet another thing to worry about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom