Too much money and not worth it..

Goofyernmost

But here's the thing if the product is "worth" what it being paid then it's priced correctly.
A business that is offering a product that is on demand gets to set the price, do you think Disney gives a hoot about the price of fried chicken at some other place??
Your last line IS the correct rationalization. Will people feel that our chicken is worth what we priced it for (and remember it's not only about the actually chicken)??
At this moment the answer is yes. affordable to you or the supposedly "average" family isn't the question.
When the price point gets to high folks will stop buying it.
Smoking crack or not, if the crowd is consistently going to the eateries there is absolutely no reason to lower the price.
That's all very true, but those that Disney convinced to sequester themselves on property, with no simple way of escape, really don't have a lot of choice but to pay it do they? That said, people should have the ability to make their own choices. If they chose to pay the long price who are any of us to say they shouldn't? Once Disney has established themselves as a place that only the wealthy can afford they will also weather any storm a deep recession might create and those of us that aren't wealthy will have to find a less expensive pastime.

There will never be another Walt Disney, but there are others out there that are creative and are willing to create something for the huge numbers of people that Disney no longer cares to attract. I think that is one of the reasons that the cruise business has grown so fast. It is a one price for everything setup. Sometimes quite economical, in fact. Sure they have a thousand ways to suck additional money out of you, but they are all a matter of choice. All your basic needs are taken care of and although they also keep you captive, unless you are a good swimmer, food, ones most basic life supply, is not played that way. It's there for the one price. If you eat like a bird or you are a bottomless pit.. there it is, laid out in massive splendor.

thomas998

We did a character breakfast when we were there 7 years ago, and it was not great. And obscenely expensive.

We ate at quick service places this past time, because we didn't want to spend $22 for an entree. It's not like I'm asking for a gourmet meal. But the grilled chicken sandwiches were so bland, made Wendy's seem like fine dining. Just have some flavor? Not asking for much.
Very true, unless you are willing to go to some of the signature places you are not going to get good food. The majority of character meals are pretty much institutional quality food that is vastly overpriced. While we still do some character meals out of tradition, we learned a long time ago to eat a good breakfast outside of Disney and try to plan other meals for outside the park when possible, and it isn't because we can't afford to pay for overpriced food but simply because the majority of the food in the parks is just so bad no one wants to eat it. Even if it were the same price as food outside the park we would probably still try to eat outside the park instead just because it is overall tasteless subpar quality food, especially in the MK.

Lilofan

Agreed. Cruising if one breaks it down is more economical than vacationing at WDW. The crew on the ships go above and beyond to make our vacations magical. The crew get a small base pay and work on tips but they deserve it.

Goofyernmost

I also think the mouse men are a bit smart, they follow economics, right now folks are content, job security is good, wages are starting to tick up and folks with 401s have seen almost 10 years of growth. Right now folks don't mind spending.
They are taking advantage of that. You get a family that just dropped 4k on a vacation, they might not quibble as much over a 23 buck chicken combo
I agree that is what is happening, but since Disney has never been real keen on lowering the prices, what happens when the dip in the economy happens, and it will. The wealthy will still be wealthy, just slightly less, and the middle class will just slip lower on the scale and they won't be able to spend 4K on a vacation or even afford a stay-cation. The Disney men are quite able to take as much as they can get today, because they aren't looking beyond today. They are not exercising the long held belief that ones business plan should lean heavily on the long term. What's here today can swiftly disappear without building your base properly. That is where I think their philosophy currently will be very problematic if things go bad. The reason why it won't change is because all those high paid decision makers have already made their fortunes and will be long gone before it all falls apart. They will take their massive bonuses and run, Forrest, run!

eliza61nyc

That's all very true, but those that Disney convinced to sequester themselves on property, with no simple way of escape, really don't have a lot of choice but to pay it do they? That said, people should have the ability to make their own choices. If they chose to pay the long price who are any of us to say they shouldn't? Once Disney has established themselves as a place that only the wealthy can afford they will also weather any storm a deep recession might create and those of us that aren't wealthy will have to find a less expensive pastime.

There will never be another Walt Disney, but there are others out there that are creative and are willing to create something for the huge numbers of people that Disney no longer cares to attract. I think that is one of the reasons that the cruise business has grown so fast. It is a one price for everything setup. Sometimes quite economical, in fact. Sure they have a thousand ways to suck additional money out of you, but they are all a matter of choice. All your basic needs are taken care of and although they also keep you captive, unless you are a good swimmer, food, ones most basic life supply, is not played that way. It's there for the one price. If you eat like a bird or you are a bottomless pit.. there it is, laid out in massive splendor.

sure they do. I guess it's hard for me to understand in today's environment of information that there are folks who go to wdw totally, totally clueless. Now if one has made the decision to stay onsite, it's a good bet that they are looking at the advantages on being on site vs getting cheaper accommodations offsite. most likely they've done the pro vs con analysis. which leads me to your second bolded.

it's all about choices and again the world has a boatload of choices for every price point. they are absolutely ways of doing the world on a shoestring budget. Now the quality of the food is a different argument but you've got options of keeping your cost down starting with the ability to bring food into the parks.

I also wonder if it's a matter of folks believing that they should be able to go to Disney often. Myself and those I know who go to wdw definitely don't consider ourselves wealthy. We make hard decisions and sacrifices to go.

I recently read an interesting article on CNBC, asking American across the nation what they considered "wealthy". it was just clickbait but an interesting read and in my town Philadelphia the answer was a net worth of 2.3 mil. are all the folks visiting the world in that position? don't know, I wouldn't think so but I really never think about whether or not a place is affordable to the masses. It's just too varied. When I had 3 college tuitions to pay, we existed on Ramen noodles, definitely wdw was out of our budget even with dvc. a few years ago I actually had a trip to London planned and there went my roof so wdw was actually an affordable vacation. I just find blanket statements like it's no longer affordable very interesting.

Last edited:

eliza61nyc

I agree that is what is happening, but since Disney has never been real keen on lowering the prices, what happens when the dip in the economy happens, and it will. The wealthy will still be wealthy, just slightly less, and the middle class will just slip lower on the scale and they won't be able to spend 4K on a vacation or even afford a stay-cation. The Disney men are quite able to take as much as they can get today, because they aren't looking beyond today. They are not exercising the long held belief that ones business plan should lean heavily on the long term. What's here today can swiftly disappear without building your base properly. That is where I think their philosophy currently will be very problematic if things go bad. The reason why it won't change is because all those high paid decision makers have already made their fortunes and will be long gone before it all falls apart. They will take their massive bonuses and run, Forrest, run!

What's going to happen when the bears coming rolling in? they'll give discounts plain and simple. And again we're have to distinguish, long term. 5 years? doubt much will change, they'll have a quarter or two with lower the expected profits but again will it be some massive loss? 10 years??? I think the bigger problem than cost will be staying fresh and relevant.
The problem I think we over gloss is that Disney has a continuous fresh supply of "base". new babies. I've got new parents here that already know they're taking the crumb snatchers to the world. It's why they rerelease "classics" get generation after generation hooked. They have done an excellent, excellent job of planting in American psyche that in order to have a standard "childhood" gotta get those kids to wdw at least ONCE.

Goofyernmost

sure they do. I guess it's hard for me to understand in today's environment of information that there are folks who go to wdw totally, totally clueless. Now if one has made the decision to stay onsite, it's a good bet that they are looking at the advantages on being on site vs getting cheaper accommodations offsite. most likely they've done the pro vs con analysis. which leads me to your second bolded.

I think that's extremely true of the WDW, it's all about choices. they are absolutely ways of doing the world on a shoestring budget. Now the quality of the food is a different argument but you've got options of keeping your cost down starting with the ability to bring food into the parks. Cruise lines (I've only done RC so it's my only experience) rarely let you bring in your own soda.

I also wonder if it's a matter of folks believing that they should be able to go to Disney often.
I recently read an interesting article on CNBC, asking American across the nation what they considered "wealthy". it was just clickbait but an interesting read and in my town Philadelphia the answer was a net worth of 2.3 mil. are all the folks visiting the world in that position? don't know, I wouldn't think so but I really never think about whether or not a place is affordable to the masses. It's just too varied. When I had 3 college tuitions to pay, we existed on Ramen noodles, definitely wdw was out of our budget even with dvc. a few years ago I actually had a trip to London planned and there went my roof so wdw was actually an affordable vacation. I just find blanket statements like it's no longer affordable very interesting.
I agree with all except for two statements. The first is the "most likely they've done the pro vs con analysis". Not a chance that any pro's and especially, con's were considered. If they were no one would be onsite. It is strictly a what I want to do not what is available as a compromise. The second is the statement "blanket statements like it's no longer affordable very interesting". Many people find the money to go, many people also cannot afford to go all at the same time. Just because one goes doesn't mean that it was a wise economical thing to do. As you say affordable is a variable situation. Other then that, yes, you can bring your own soda in to the parks and, even in my mind, the admission fee is still will worth the hours of entertainment to be had, that is not what many people call the full experience. I happen to feel that way about the parks. I don't need that other crap. I go to WDW to go to the parks, period. I can sleep anywhere.

eliza61nyc

I agree with all except for two statements. The first is the "most likely they've done the pro vs con analysis". Not a chance that any pro's and especially, con's were considered. If they were no one would be onsite. It is strictly a what I want to do not what is available as a compromise. The second is the statement "blanket statements like it's no longer affordable very interesting". Many people find the money to go, many people also cannot afford to go all at the same time. Just because one goes doesn't mean that it was a wise economical thing to do. As you say affordable is a variable situation. Other then that, yes, you can bring your own soda in to the parks and, even in my mind, the admission fee is still will worth the hours of entertainment to be had, that is not what many people call the full experience. I happen to feel that way about the parks. I don't need that other crap. I go to WDW to go to the parks, period. I can sleep anywhere.

OK so we've sort of moved into a wider discussion.

lol, vacations in and of themselves are not "wise economical" things to do. Now I do, do a pro and con when I travel. that's how I ended up with a dvc in the first place, for the way we like to travel, we evaluated the most cost effective way to go over the long term. . so I think the disconnect is you evaluate worthwhile as the bottom line while for many there are other considerations. I went to Europe, for me it was worthwhile to save for extra year so I could go business class. Yes economy would have been a lot cheaper and I also would have needed Xanax to deal with 11 hours in a cramped seat. Now can I afford to do that every year? nope but again that's because I'm not wealthy so I save and plan.

You can sleep anywhere. for me the worth isn't just in the bottom cost of the room. When I go to wdw I want to sit on a balcony. when I go on a cruise, I need a suite with a balcony. I'm not going if the bottom line means a berth on the bottom with just a hole to look out of . oh heck to the naw. Yes it would be more economical to go on a cruise and just take advantage of the food that comes with the ticket.

So I will admit ,not all my purchases are "wise economical" things. as you said, if it was no one would be onsite, no one would buy luxury cars, no one would eat out at fancy restaurants. dropping 500 bucks on theater tickets to see a show would definitely not be a "wise economical" decision. but all those things imo enhance the quality of life.
And in the interest of full disclosure, I've gone to wdw for long weekends and never stepped foot in a park. I love it.

Heck, if you wanted to get right to the bottom of it. if all anyone did was plan vacations on the best economical choices Disney itself would be closed or better yet it would be like six flags.

Last edited:

Shouldigo12

It is much easier to leave Disney property than it is to leave a cruise ship in the ocean. People who go aren't forced to eat at their restaurants- there's plenty of other options, either in restaurants off site (which you can get to using either your car, a rented car, or a ride sharing service) or in packing your own meals. The prices aren't high because people have no other options, they're high because Disney is well aware people are concerned about time when they're on property and many don't want to waste it driving off property, eating, and driving back. I've always looked at the prices as more of a convenience fee than anything.

Lilofan

These "bonus eligible" executives are not only at TWDC but in many Fortune 500 companies and Wall Street. If they meet or exceed the criteria set to increase their annual compensation and increase the company stock price and enrich themselves and the company shareholders, then they are doing their jobs well to the satisfaction or dismay of the people.

eliza61nyc

These "bonus eligible" executives are not only at TWDC but in many Fortune 500 companies and Wall Street. If they meet or exceed the criteria set to increase their annual compensation and increase the company stock price and enrich themselves and the company shareholders, then they are doing their jobs well.

Wasn't there a big blow up in the news outlets over outlandish CEO compensation packages? even the guys who's company's went into the toilets got huge golden packages.

Lilofan

Wasn't there a big blow up in the news outlets over outlandish CEO compensation packages? even the guys who's company's went into the toilets got huge golden packages.
It happens but I think the golden parachutes a number of CEOs get when they leave is decided by the company Board of Directors. Even former Disney exec Paul Pressler who went on to be CEO of the GAP, failed miserably and still got a 7 figure dollar compensation package when he left the blue jeans company. People are very quick to be blame the CEO on his or her annual compensation package. They should look to the Board of Directors.

parkerthebarker

Original Poster
Lol if i go somewhere and dont like it, i doubt i will frequent a message board that in general is a fandom is all. No police lol

Oh boy. Like I said, I've been to Disney many times. Love the movies, music etc. It's not like I hate Disney and decided to come on here. My last experience as a family was much different than my others. I also mentioned I saw many parents with the same look of misery, so I was left feeling curious. I found this board when I was googling, and thought I would see what others thought. Again, I didn't think it was a cult! Goodness. Pete, can we do a cyber hug? (and I'm not saying that in a snarky way!!)

Shouldigo12

Oh boy. Like I said, I've been to Disney many times. Love the movies, music etc. It's not like I hate Disney and decided to come on here. My last experience as a family was much different than my others. I also mentioned I saw many parents with the same look of misery, so I was left feeling curious. I found this board when I was googling, and thought I would see what others thought. Again, I didn't think it was a cult! Goodness. Pete, can we do a cyber hug? (and I'm not saying that in a snarky way!!)
Don't stress about it. You had an opinion and wanted to share it. There's nothing wrong with that.

parkerthebarker

Original Poster
Is there a Winn-Dixie fan site? I'd like to go tell all the fans how much I can't stand them and they are overpriced (and dirty.)
This made me laugh. If there is a Winn Dixie site, I will head over asap. I mean those people are the worst (;))

Read my response to Pete a minute ago. I never said I couldn't stand Disney fans. The only park goers I complained about were the entitled, rude ones. I got my foot rolled over by a lady in an electric scooter, cutting me to check out. Trampled by families rushing to use their fast passes. And I know I can't blame Disney, let's not over think it. I just noticed a much larger pool of "it's all about me" people. And don't even get me started with the staring at screens while walking (gah!).

Tony the tigger, let's be friends. :) I'm not doing a personal attack on you, or anyone on here. Promise.

parkerthebarker

Original Poster
OK so we've sort of moved into a wider discussion.

lol, vacations in and of themselves are not "wise economical" things to do. Now I do, do a pro and con when I travel. that's how I ended up with a dvc in the first place, for the way we like to travel, we evaluated the most cost effective way to go over the long term. . so I think the disconnect is you evaluate worthwhile as the bottom line while for many there are other considerations. I went to Europe, for me it was worthwhile to save for extra year so I could go business class. Yes economy would have been a lot cheaper and I also would have needed Xanax to deal with 11 hours in a cramped seat. Now can I afford to do that every year? nope but again that's because I'm not wealthy so I save and plan.

You can sleep anywhere. for me the worth isn't just in the bottom cost of the room. When I go to wdw I want to sit on a balcony. when I go on a cruise, I need a suite with a balcony. I'm not going if the bottom line means a berth on the bottom with just a hole to look out of . oh heck to the naw. Yes it would be more economical to go on a cruise and just take advantage of the food that comes with the ticket.

So I will admit ,not all my purchases are "wise economical" things. as you said, if it was no one would be onsite, no one would buy luxury cars, no one would eat out at fancy restaurants. dropping 500 bucks on theater tickets to see a show would definitely not be a "wise economical" decision. but all those things imo enhance the quality of life.
And in the interest of full disclosure, I've gone to wdw for long weekends and never stepped foot in a park. I love it.

Heck, if you wanted to get right to the bottom of it. if all anyone did was plan vacations on the best economical choices Disney itself would be closed or better yet it would be like six flags.
Agree!

phillip9698

The only way to have a good meal at Disney is to plan. Since im BIG on enjoying meals while on vacation i spend a lot of time planning that out no matter where we are going. My wife loves Cosmic Rays because of the nostalgia factor from a trip with her mom, so she gets that, but other than that im picking places with at least "good" and unique food.

I know i want a carrot cake cookie so i will forgo all other terrible snack options to get one. No matter how much they pipe in the smells for stale cinnamon rolls.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Very true, unless you are willing to go to some of the signature places you are not going to get good food. The majority of character meals are pretty much institutional quality food that is vastly overpriced. While we still do some character meals out of tradition, we learned a long time ago to eat a good breakfast outside of Disney and try to plan other meals for outside the park when possible, and it isn't because we can't afford to pay for overpriced food but simply because the majority of the food in the parks is just so bad no one wants to eat it. Even if it were the same price as food outside the park we would probably still try to eat outside the park instead just because it is overall tasteless subpar quality food, especially in the MK.
If you limit your dining to the CS locations, primarily Cosmic Ray's, I'd agree.

But once you break out of that mold (no pun intended), you'll find very tasty food at Liberty Tree Tavern, Jungle Cruise Skipper Canteen, and the Columbia Harbor House.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I'm not trying to be rude here, but in all seriousness OP, what food did you eat? Because WDW has lots of awesome food, more than any other theme park. Generally I find when people complain about the quality of the food, I also learn that they were eating the typical fast food fare, and well, yeah, of course you're going to be upset when you pay theme park prices for standard fast food.

Really, WDW doesn't have awesome food with a few small exceptions. It's also insanely expensive. Table service options are simply mediocre food that's presented well. Quick service options are competitive to McDonalds on both quality and presentation. Of course if you're comparing to a park like SeaWorld, even Quick Service looks like fine dining. :joyfull:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom