Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Jones14

Do you know it it compares to Satuuli Canteen? The food at Pandora is really excellent.
Do you mean quality of food or how the food’s been selling? I can’t speak to the latter, but overall I liked Satuli Canteen’s food better. With that said, Docking Bay 7 is easily the best quick service at DHS (and wouldn’t be the worst at AK), so I’m not saying it’s bad by any means.

The_Jobu

Do you guys remember that poster that said the land would never open until 2021? I wonder what ever happened to him and what he thinks of the park?

NoChesterHester

Do you mean quality of food or how the food’s been selling? I can’t speak to the latter, but overall I liked Satuli Canteen’s food better. With that said, Docking Bay 7 is easily the best quick service at DHS (and wouldn’t be the worst at AK), so I’m not saying it’s bad by any means.

Yeah I meant the latter. I would guess that they based the decision to cut the table service from phase 1 because Satuuli is so successful at Pandora and the “same would suffice at Galaxy’s Edge.”

Tom Morrow

The food at Docking Bay 7 is pretty good, and they did a good job with the presentation of it, making it look both like something from the Star Wars universe and also gourmet for Earth theme park standards.

I haven't tried anything from Ronto Roasters yet but it always seems like more of a cool setpiece than a place to eat. The sweet and spicy popcorn is okay but is weird that it's presented as a highlight thing you should try when it's just, you know, popcorn. The blue and green milk taste okay to me, but certainly not amazing, and they are not refreshing. The worst aspect is that you pay $8 for a very small cup and no frills. For the price, it should be at least as big as a standard Butterbeer serving and maybe include some sort of whipped topping or fruit slice.

Piebald

Do you know it it compares to Satuuli Canteen? The food at Pandora is really excellent.
I've only had the ronto wrap and the blue milk but Satuuli Canteen is outstanding. I havent been in a while but I heard they got rid of the quinoa which is a bummer.

Satuuli is better but I havent had enough food at GE to decide.

matt9112

The Falcon is not a C lol

If you want a C go on Peter Pan.

They both have roughly the same level of excitment and will both have roughly the same wait times....zinggggg.
Seriously minus the que and cool preshow the falcon is prob the most underwelming ride that has opened in recent memory. I had such high hopes. The on screen mechanics of the mission are essentially an arcade shooter. But with a fancy cockpit. I love looking at all the little details but if the que and ride cabin are the highlight to me the ride is meh. Again all opinion.

matt9112

Okay, this has been repeated ad nauseam, but there are no locations in any of the Star Wars films that are prominent enough to build a land around that also don't limit the land from changing and evolving (which, I strongly believe, it will). The closest usable location would be Tattooine, but then they're limited to the locations on Tattooine instead of an all-encompassing land. 95% of the Harry Potter series takes place in and around Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, or Diagon Alley. It's obvious if you were going to build a Harry Potter land, it should obviously include Hogwarts and also the familiar shops and eateries from the series. And then you have Cars Land, which was based on a franchise with one movie (at the time), so obviously you're going to build Radiator Springs. Star Wars, on the other hand, has a 40+ year legacy behind it in addition to 10 films and countless other media like the TV shows and video games. Generations upon generations of people have their own opinions of what Star Wars should be and I doubt you could ever get fans to agree on one specific planet from the series to limit everything around.

I wish more people understood this - creating a new planet where they can bring elements from all facets of Star Wars in one location was the smartest decision they could have made in terms of building a land htat fills the current ultra-realistic theming trend. The only other option would to build more of an abstract "Star Wars Greatest Hits" land, or again, limit an entire franchise by choosing one planet such as Tattooine.

Galaxy's Edge feels VERY much like a place that would exist in the Star Wars universe and is very in line with most of what we see in the films, which are often more run down slums with a touch of sci-fi. Batuu is like a nice mix of multiple planets we've seen. Futuristic sci-fi locations like Coruscant or Canto Bight wouldn't work because they stand out in the films as being affluent and different from most locations we see, and they would be harder to convey the feel of Star Wars because they would risk just looking like "generic futuristic sci fi city".

Batuu/Black Spire Outpost is awesome and beautiful. Their only mistake, in my opinion, was setting it during a very hard-defined point in the timeline when that aspect could have been left more vague, allowing for more elements from the OT, or at least not "Han Solo and Luke Skywalker are definitely dead at this time".

You dont find the forest of industrial fans wierd? I agree with you on the timeline bit and i also agree with you on your location logic. My entire opinion is essentially HP lends itself FAR better to "a land" or what have you. Star wars is far harder to do right. But i think they could have done a smaller planet from movies. (I also agree with your city scape view) too flashy and ill suited. But endor or tatoonie or whatever the new movie planets are called could work? But than again i never knocked the look of the place. Its just the feel the giant fans drowning out any sounds that might be playing. (It seems ROTR que plays some comms audio) and thats better than the sound of fans. They really should suck it up and just play star wars music at entry even if they want to keep land void for some reason. Whatever music subtlety plays there now is just not powerful. On an Operational level they really made some mistakes too but thats a whole different angle.

matt9112

I noticed kylo ren and the officer going around today. I have seen the videos from DL but this is the first time i saw them here in FL. Also had two pairs of troopers vs just one pair like i normally see?

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
They both have roughly the same level of excitment and will both have roughly the same wait times....zinggggg.
Seriously minus the que and cool preshow the falcon is prob the most underwelming ride that has opened in recent memory. I had such high hopes. The on screen mechanics of the mission are essentially an arcade shooter. But with a fancy cockpit. I love looking at all the little details but if the que and ride cabin are the highlight to me the ride is meh. Again all opinion.

I disagree but that’s okay. Even if the current mission in the Falcon ride is a little lackluster(I think it’s solid for what it is) there’s still there hope that future missions might be more exciting. Definitely a mission where the engineers and gunners are more actively engaged.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

walking through doors that open like they do on the films,
no where in galaxy's edge do you walk through a door that opens for you like it does in the movies. all the stores in galaxy's edge have open doors except Savi's because a cast member has to let you in and the falcon does does not count because it has for some reason a second door in the hallway that leads to the cockpitt. in the movies its the hallway then the cockpitt door not a second door then the cockpitt door. no where in the land do you walk up to a closed door and it opens up for you instantly just because you want to enter the building like mall doors do with a sensor. any closed door opens because of a cast member.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

For me flying the Falcon was enough. Didn’t need to do the Kessel Run. Would’ve been nice to see Han though but I blame that more on Harrison Ford. If he was willing to do it I bet Disney would've set the land during or before Force Awakens somehow. For that they would’ve bent a little.
um no. disney chose to set the land in their sequel trilogy era by choice. how dare you blame Mr. Ford.

Kram Sacul

In the Parks
Yes
no where in galaxy's edge do you walk through a door that opens for you like it does in the movies. all the stores in galaxy's edge have open doors except Savi's because a cast member has to let you in and the falcon does does not count because it has for some reason a second door in the hallway that leads to the cockpitt. in the movies its the hallway then the cockpitt door not a second door then the cockpitt door. no where in the land do you walk up to a closed door and it opens up for you instantly just because you want to enter the building like mall doors do with a sensor. any closed door opens because of a cast member.

You haven’t been to the land that much haven’t you? The doors to Dok’s, Droid Depot, and Oga’s open when you approach them.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Okay, this has been repeated ad nauseam, but there are no locations in any of the Star Wars films that are prominent enough to build a land around that also don't limit the land from changing and evolving (which, I strongly believe, it will). The closest usable location would be Tattooine, but then they're limited to the locations on Tattooine instead of an all-encompassing land. 95% of the Harry Potter series takes place in and around Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, or Diagon Alley. It's obvious if you were going to build a Harry Potter land, it should obviously include Hogwarts and also the familiar shops and eateries from the series. And then you have Cars Land, which was based on a franchise with one movie (at the time), so obviously you're going to build Radiator Springs. Star Wars, on the other hand, has a 40+ year legacy behind it in addition to 10 films and countless other media like the TV shows and video games. Generations upon generations of people have their own opinions of what Star Wars should be and I doubt you could ever get fans to agree on one specific planet from the series to limit everything around.

I wish more people understood this - creating a new planet where they can bring elements from all facets of Star Wars in one location was the smartest decision they could have made in terms of building a land htat fills the current ultra-realistic theming trend. The only other option would to build more of an abstract "Star Wars Greatest Hits" land, or again, limit an entire franchise by choosing one planet such as Tattooine.

Galaxy's Edge feels VERY much like a place that would exist in the Star Wars universe and is very in line with most of what we see in the films, which are often more run down slums with a touch of sci-fi. Batuu is like a nice mix of multiple planets we've seen. Futuristic sci-fi locations like Coruscant or Canto Bight wouldn't work because they stand out in the films as being affluent and different from most locations we see, and they would be harder to convey the feel of Star Wars because they would risk just looking like "generic futuristic sci fi city".

Batuu/Black Spire Outpost is awesome and beautiful. Their only mistake, in my opinion, was setting it during a very hard-defined point in the timeline when that aspect could have been left more vague, allowing for more elements from the OT, or at least not "Han Solo and Luke Skywalker are definitely dead at this time".
you can easily make a land out of tatooine which i have described in detail ad nausem on this board many times so you are wrong.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Seriously minus the que and cool preshow the falcon is prob the most underwelming ride that has opened in recent memory.

I see you've forgotten NRJ. :p

I noticed kylo ren and the officer going around today. I have seen the videos from DL but this is the first time i saw them here in FL. Also had two pairs of troopers vs just one pair like i normally see?

Everytime I've gone to SWL in Orlando, there were a constant patrol of troopers with an occasional Ren. Just hang out in the TSL entrance to MF corridor, esp. by FO store and Kylo's ship.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom