Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

lazyboy97o

Reading between the lines of the press release - I suspect there's 2 things they've come up with. They're probably going to modify the system so that it won't load gondolas from the off track until the system is fully running from a restart (or need to have it manually restarted or train the staff not to move it in until the system is fully restarted). That will help prevent the original issue (and probably why they're having the downtime).
How is the collision related to the accessible loading spurs? That’s not where the collision occurred.

Skywise

How is the collision related to the accessible loading spurs? That’s not where the collision occurred.

I read an article elsewhere that said the line had gone down for some undisclosed reason and when it restarted one of the gondolas hadn't started up due to one of the speed wheels not working and one of the gondolas from the accessible loading spur came online into it causing the crash.

Incomudro

We seem to have varying levels of reading comprehension here.
Disney indicated that the incident was due to human error - and not a mechanical breakdown.
They are addressing this problem through better training.
Along with that, they are going to improve communication with riders should such a problem occur again.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I read an article elsewhere that said the line had gone down for some undisclosed reason and when it restarted one of the gondolas hadn't started up due to one of the speed wheels not working and one of the gondolas from the accessible loading spur came online into it causing the crash.

In short.. yes... but at the transistion from the station to the haul rope (as it exited the station)... not between the ecv loop and station loop.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney indicated that the incident was due to human error - and not a mechanical breakdown.

No, that is not a stead fast conclusion from the statement. They only said "we’ve made adjustments to our processes and training"

It doesn't say someone made an operator mistake... nor does it even acknowledge if system changes were needed or not. Their statement could equally apply if operators all did what they were supposed to.. but their processes didn't prevent the issue.

It's intentionally vague... and your conclusion shows exactly why.

WDWBryan

"Following a complete review with the manufacturer, we’ve made adjustments to our processes and training, and we are improving how we communicate with guests during their flight with Disney Skyliner. "
Translation: We'd like to remind guests that Disney did not create these, so it's not our fault if it breaks. We aren't going to fix anything, but we'll make the announcements clearer when it breaks next time.

"Similar to ski lift systems, Disney Skyliner may slow or come to some stops during the ride, "
Translation: Again, we did not design these. We did not invent some new form of transportation here, so it's going to start and stop. Deal with it.
and please don't call 911 if your gondola stops

Incomudro

No, that is not a stead fast conclusion from the statement. They only said "we’ve made adjustments to our processes and training"

It doesn't say someone made an operator mistake... nor does it even acknowledge if system changes were needed or not. Their statement could equally apply if operators all did what they were supposed to.. but their processes didn't prevent the issue.

It's intentionally vague... and your conclusion shows exactly why.

"We've made adjustments to our processes and training." Human error.

What Disney did not say: "Doppelmayr has repaired a faulty part."

jt04

"Following a complete review with the manufacturer, we’ve made adjustments to our processes and training, and we are improving how we communicate with guests during their flight with Disney Skyliner. "
Translation: We'd like to remind guests that Disney did not create these, so it's not our fault if it breaks. We aren't going to fix anything, but we'll make the announcements clearer when it breaks next time.

"Similar to ski lift systems, Disney Skyliner may slow or come to some stops during the ride, "
Translation: Again, we did not design these. We did not invent some new form of transportation here, so it's going to start and stop. Deal with it.

You have the option of choosing another mode if you are chicken🐔

Disstevefan1

Don't know if any injuries happened but I still don't have the nerve to go on that insane water slide the Summit Plummet at Blizzard Beach. I get chills when I walk by there in the summer.

I don't have the stats in front of me, but I think its more likely you will be killed on the DME ride to WDW than it is to be killed on any attraction in WDW.

Mission Space killed two people (I know, I know, pre-existing medical problems) but I love that ride and I go on it when ever I am in EPCOT!

In some WDW attractions, I would not mind to be evacuated, like POC, that would be cool to see it with the lights on.

On the other hand, Space Mountain, that ride sounds like its going to break apart an any moment, but I still ride it ever chance I get. It seems every time I am near that ride the standby magically changes to 80 minutes and I just walk by

Another ride that I love to ride but makes me nervous is Test Track. When we are in the high speed part, I cant help thinking this car is going to fly off the track like the HO cars I used to play with as a kid, BUT I still love it and still go on it!

Everyone has irrational fears about a lot if things, I know I do.

As for the Skyliner, they probably addressed the issues and there will be no more problems, my brain keeps coming back to the evacuation plan if there is another "malfunction". I would not want to be stuck up there in August, during the day, in the hot sun, with strangers.

Another irrational fear? Perhaps. Perhaps not. o_O

Skywise

"We've made adjustments to our processes and training" does NOT infer or admit "human error" only that they've tweaked the processes. This could just as easily be adjusting how they respond to emergencies so people don't freak out on the gondolas. Not prevent the next accident (which is not 100% preventable in the future - the gondolas ARE going to crash again - just as the monorails and buses do - but you can try to minimize it happening in the future)

Skywise

Mission Space killed two people (I know, I know, pre-existing medical problems) but I love that ride and I go on it when ever I am in EPCOT!

To be fair - There wasn't a ride malfunction on Mission Space so it didn't "kill" them per se. I'm sure there's one person that's died on it's a small world after all these years :) (or at least driven mentally insane after being stuck on it for 30 minutes...)

Incomudro

"We've made adjustments to our processes and training" does NOT infer or admit "human error" only that they've tweaked the processes. This could just as easily be adjusting how they respond to emergencies so people don't freak out on the gondolas. Not prevent the next accident (which is not 100% preventable in the future - the gondolas ARE going to crash again - just as the monorails and buses do - but you can try to minimize it happening in the future)

It doesn't?
Sounds like it does to me.
I agree with the rest of your statement though.

flynnibus

Premium Member

I pointed out the openness in the statement and how it can be truthful to cover different scenarios. Your unwillingness to acknowledge it doesn't change it.

The statement is intentionally vague... don't fall for the trap they've set.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think that was a misdirection

If you speak “internal Disney monologue”...and I do...they appear to be glossing over operator error. That was likely in the first place if the system is just a ski lift and doesn’t have automatic fail safe controls

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom