Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney releases statement on Skyliner malfunction

Statement? You're giving them a pass.. one sentence says 'we’ve made adjustments to our processes and training, and we are improving how we communicate with guests during their flight with Disney Skyliner' is pathetic. They basically made an announcement of it's reopening and acknowledged the past incident happened.

Booo

Rteetz

Statement? You're giving them a pass.. one sentence says 'we’ve made adjustments to our processes and training, and we are improving how we communicate with guests during their flight with Disney Skyliner' is pathetic. They basically made an announcement of it's reopening and acknowledged the past incident happened.

Booo

flynnibus

Premium Member

No, I know there is more text there... but only one sentence of it really speaks towards the incident. Literally everything else is about the opening and upcoming schedule. Hence.. "hey basically made an announcement of it's reopening and acknowledged the past incident happened."

It's a page full of fluff.

ThatMouse

"Following a complete review with the manufacturer, we’ve made adjustments to our processes and training, and we are improving how we communicate with guests during their flight with Disney Skyliner. "
Translation: We'd like to remind guests that Disney did not create these, so it's not our fault if it breaks. We aren't going to fix anything, but we'll make the announcements clearer when it breaks next time.

"Similar to ski lift systems, Disney Skyliner may slow or come to some stops during the ride, "
Translation: Again, we did not design these. We did not invent some new form of transportation here, so it's going to start and stop. Deal with it.

Rteetz

No, I know there is more text there... but only one sentence of it really speaks towards the incident. Literally everything else is about the opening and upcoming schedule. Hence.. "hey basically made an announcement of it's reopening and acknowledged the past incident happened."

It's a page full of fluff.
Did you ever expect Disney to give a full explanation of what happened? Disney has never done that nor will they. They didn’t even have to make this statement.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Did you ever expect Disney to give a full explanation of what happened? Disney has never done that nor will they. They didn’t even have to make this statement.

Again.. please read what I said. I said wdwmagic was giving them a pass on this calling it a 'statement' on the malfunction. It's generous to say Disney has addressed the topic or made statements on it beyond acknowledging what the public already knows.. that it happened.

Allyp

In the Parks
Yes
"Similar to ski lift systems, Disney Skyliner may slow or come to some stops during the ride, "
Translation: Again, we did not design these. We did not invent some new form of transportation here, so it's going to start and stop. Deal with it.
Couldn't your translation statement also describe the monorail system? There are potentially three transportation systems that can get you from TTC to MK in the case of failure. Can't that be the same for the Skyliner? If you don't want to ride the Skyliner, don't and use another form of transportation system instead.

Rteetz

Again.. please read what I said. I said wdwmagic was giving them a pass on this calling it a 'statement' on the malfunction. It's generous to say Disney has addressed the topic or made statements on it beyond acknowledging what the public already knows.. that it happened.
By definition this is a statement. Disney releases a statement on it. A statement doesn’t have to be 3 pages long.

flynnibus

Premium Member
By definition this is a statement. Disney releases a statement on it. A statement doesn’t have to be 3 pages long.

When did I say anything about length? Again you're making strawman arguments vs addressing the points made.

Disney didn't address the elephant in the room.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

They never do, however not too long ago when the doors opened on the monorail, there was proactive and public effort made to address the problem which still continues to this day.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney Skyliner resumes operation today

Great timing... I'm just gonna leave this here.. from 5 days ago..

To habor a guess, I still think we'll see it running in less than 3 weeks.. maybe even within a week.

nailed it.gif

:)

Rteetz

When did I say anything about length? Again you're making strawman arguments vs addressing the points made.

Disney didn't address the elephant in the room.
I just don’t get the issue here I guess. You said WDWmagic was in the wrong for saying this was a statement. It is. Like I said Disney didn’t have to say anything. I’m actually sort of surprised they had a parks blog article on it to begin with.

Timmay

If you’re familiar with a root cause analysis, which the majority of the public are not I will grant you, there are some very clear key words in those couple of sentences. Personally I have a better understanding of why it happened, but not what exactly happened. I’m okay with what they said, but I also understand the position of those that aren’t.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I just don’t get the issue here I guess. You said WDWmagic was in the wrong for saying this was a statement. It is. Like I said Disney didn’t have to say anything. I’m actually sort of surprised they had a parks blog article on it to begin with.

I said he was giving them a pass to even suggest Disney addressed the topic. Disney is going to do what Disney is going to do.. that doesn't mean you need to aid their effort to dismiss it and move along as quickly as possible with your reporting. Which IMO wdwmagic's newsblot does by simply passing along verbiage without critique and calling it a 'statement on the malfunction' -- which Disney moved right past and just made a blog post stating 'an update on the skyliner' like "hey kids, here's the new hours you've been waiting for!"

Rteetz

I said he was giving them a pass to even suggest Disney addressed the topic. Disney is going to do what Disney is going to do.. that doesn't mean you need to aid their effort to dismiss it and move along as quickly as possible with your reporting. Which IMO wdwmagic's newsblot does by simply passing along verbiage without critique and calling it a 'statement on the malfunction' -- which Disney moved right past and just made a blog post stating 'an update on the skyliner' like "hey kids, here's the new hours you've been waiting for!"
I mean I guess? I really don’t see an issue with the way WDWmagic titled it. He didn’t say “Breaking! Disney confirms incident mistakes and new operations!”

flynnibus

Premium Member
If you’re familiar with a root cause analysis, which the majority of the public are not I will grant you, there are some very clear key words in those couple of sentences. Personally I have a better understanding of why it happened, but not what exactly happened. I’m okay with what they said, but I also understand the position of those that aren’t.

It's not exclusionary in any sense. Their processes they improved could have been about 'what to do when something fails' or it could have been simply 'sequence' things after their restart, or it could have been about the role of spotters, or it could have been about what/who/when e-stops are called... or it could have been any or all of the above... or other things.

The only thing it doesn't mention is a specific equipment failure or design issue... but because Disney didn't say explicitly anything... you can't really exclude those just because they didn't mention it.

In effect... it says nothing concrete. It's not about 'root cause' familiarity.. it's about PR. How to say things to give an impression without really committing to anything.

For all we know... the same outcome could still be possible and rely solely on human elements to prevent. You can't tell either way from such statements by Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom