Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Jedi Stitch

I was sitting in a training class with several fire marshals from my state when I read this news. Talking of several ground and water rescue of these gondolas. It became a topic for 15 minutes before we got back to the class training. Many of the FMs actually did not know that WDW had its own specific fire department, Ready Creek, they also wondered if this became normal having to rescue guests, if Disney was going to have to have a Fire Department and also have a Rescue Department as they expected many of the resources were being used to rescue people from that if there was a fire or other imminent threat would they have been able to respond. It was very awesome being a part of a multi jurisdictional discussion on this. Obviously, I didn't have all the details for them and it was mostly just a wow WDW has there own fire department.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I didn't know RCID had it's own Disney National Guard unit... but it wouldn't surprise me, considering how tight their relationship is.

It seems, according to some, that WDW is its own sovereign nation and does not need to answer to county, state, or federal jurisdictions. WDW need not bother with the laws of God nor man.

matt9112

I only asked because I seem to remember reading articles about struggling to rein in the growth (and expansion of their living area) of the population and the strict hunting laws that are basically allowing it to grow unchecked.

You are correct. Gators being in populated areas is becoming increasingly common. They went from being on verge of extinction (in florida) to now being a massive unchecked population. The hunting laws dont help this. But like black bears it takes alot of political capital to say go kill a bunch sadly.

MrPromey

Surprising after 25 years right?!?

Since you started out clearly stating the purpose, you can delete posts from that one with unrestrained glee (and without explanation) and not have to worry about being seen as a banana republic dictator for doing it since everyone can still come back to this one to continue doing what we've all been doing up to this point.

ImperfectPixie

You are correct. Gators being in populated areas is becoming increasingly common. They went from being on verge of extinction (in florida) to now being a massive unchecked population. The hunting laws dont help this. But like black bears it takes alot of political capital to say go kill a bunch sadly.
Thanks. I seem to also remember reading, after the Grand Floridian incident, that they have been easing up on Disney's ability to relocate potential problem animals.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

"Swamp People - Disney" confirmed for 2020, only on Disney+!!!

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
I have black bears (and turkeys :D) coming thru my property. My 90 square mile town is a protected watershed community that tries to retain a somewhat pristine state since the land supplies a large population of New Jersey with water. If bears are to be anywhere, it is here and it goes with the territory. People think bears are over-populated just because they see one.
Deer are a problem and they're near infinitely more dangerous than our local bears due to the road hazzard. Last month a friend of mine died when his motorcycle hit a deer. 3 years ago a co-worker's son died early AM on the way to work after hitting a deer. I've heard we have 10 times more deer than the natural counts back from Washington's time and 1800s.

That's incorrect on not posting signs from the beginning. We stayed at Animal Kingdom lodge a few years before the fatal alligator attack. At the very end of the fenceline by the guest tennis courts we noticed by the retention pond one alligator warning sign. When the tennis balls landed there we were not going anywhere near there to retrieve the tennis balls.
The vast majority at WDW had no signage warning of the danger of alligators or snakes. There have been incidents with both and now there is signage.

ImperfectPixie

I have black bears (and turkeys :D) coming thru my property. My 90 square mile town is a protected watershed community that tries to retain a somewhat pristine state since the land supplies a large population of New Jersey with water. If bears are to be anywhere, it is here and it goes with the territory. People think bears are over-populated just because they see one.
Deer are a problem and they're near infinitely more dangerous than our local bears due to the road hazzard. Last month a friend of mine died when his motorcycle hit a deer. 3 years ago a co-worker's son died early AM on the way to work after hitting a deer. I've heard we have 10 times more deer than the natural counts back from Washington's time and 1800s.
I'm in MA, and deer, turkeys, and coyotes are an issue sometimes here, too. Not so much right where my house is, as there's tons of open land and forest around us, but in more established/tighter neighborhoods for sure.

I'm in MA, and deer, turkeys, and coyotes are an issue sometimes here, too. Not so much right where my house is, as there's tons of open land and forest around us, but in more established/tighter neighborhoods for sure.
I live on a 200 acre farm also with lots of deer, an occasional bear siting, and turkeys. No problem here where they have room and hunters.

Once had to wait for a LARGE herd of deer at dawn in a residential area. Not good for the humans or deer.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Coyote are slowly returning to NJ after decades of absence, which could help thin the deer population. It's sad to think coyote vs bambi but I'd rather see nature take its course over traps and poisons. Don't these deer know it's time to stop procreating all over the place?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom