News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Fantasy Flight Games. Their line of tabletop Star Wars games is impressive. If you’re ever at GenCon, plan to spend time in line just to get into their product booth, especially for the SW stuff.

Ok...I gotcha. I’ve seen that stuff and it is pretty cool.

But that is definitely niche and Disney didn’t buy Star Wars for the niche.

Hawkeye_2018

The only thing we know for sure, is what George said in an interview with James Cameron I believe. And that was he would focus on the midiclorians and Whills. We have no idea if it would have featured the OT people heavily or not. I think Iger wasn't wrong to go away from Georges treatments. I personally just don't think Lucas would have treated his characters the same way Disney did. Even if the screen time was similar.
Arndt was hired to write the screenplay based off GL's treatments. Arndt either quit or his screenplay was not good as it was almost completely scrapped when JJ took over. And JJ has been on record of saying he wanted the 'big 3' to have a bigger role than what was in Arndt's working version.

ImperfectPixie

Yes, that was always the plan. Again, it's not the phasing out, it's how they did it. It was supposed to be a passing of the tourch. But they really just skipped the passing and went right to the new. This whole situation is why I always wanted them to go to the old republic and just skip 7,8 and 9.
I find it very interesting that Kevin Fiege seems able to pull off a similar loss of characters with Marvel and End Game, and continuing the story beyond "the blip" so that they can introduce/focus on different characters in a way that feels natural...but Kennedy just doesn't seem to grasp what the fans want or how to smoothly transition from one set of characters to another without rehashing the same story and without doing the original characters justice.

erasure fan1

Arndt was hired to write the screenplay based off GL's treatments. Arndt either quit or his screenplay was not good as it was almost completely scrapped when JJ took over. And JJ has been on record of saying he wanted the 'big 3' to have a bigger role than what was in Arndt's working version.
The only official anything I've seen on the lucas treatments is what George said in the interview I referenced. Disney and company have been all but silent on the matter. The point that I think you are missing, is it isn't the quantity of screen time, but the quality. If Luke, Han, Leia and co were given their proper dues, a lot of the problems wouldn't be around. And even if JJ wanted a bigger role for them, either way they failed because it never happened.

Hawkeye_2018

"Shortly after the sale to Disney, it was announced that Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3) had been hired to pen the screenplay for the then-untitled Star Wars: Episode VII. We subsequently learned that Arndt had actually been working on the screenplay since before Lucas sold his company to Disney, fleshing out a treatment originally conceived by Lucas himself.
When J.J. Abrams was hired on as the director, he and Arndt worked extensively on the script for a year. Then, somewhat abruptly, Arndt was removed from the project and Abrams took over screenwriting duties himself with Lawrence Kasdan acting as co-writers. Apparently Abrams and Arndt didn’t see eye-to-eye on how to proceed with this first installment in a new Star Wars trilogy, with Arndt wanting to focus on new characters and Abrams wanting to beef up the roles of the Original Trilogy actors (ie. Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher) and make them a more central part of the story."

https://collider.com/george-lucas-new-star-wars-movies-treatments/

erasure fan1

Saw a wall of them at a target two days ago...

And a Star Wars “section” that was 2 feet wide in the regular section...and one pathetic endcap for “triple force Friday”

It’s not an illusion...they have major trouble here.
Star-Wars-The-Black-Series-One-Dozen-Roses.jpg

Remember this gem of a promo? A dozen roses for valentine's day. Only $19.99!!!

erasure fan1

"Shortly after the sale to Disney, it was announced that Michael Arndt (Toy Story 3) had been hired to pen the screenplay for the then-untitled Star Wars: Episode VII. We subsequently learned that Arndt had actually been working on the screenplay since before Lucas sold his company to Disney, fleshing out a treatment originally conceived by Lucas himself.
When J.J. Abrams was hired on as the director, he and Arndt worked extensively on the script for a year. Then, somewhat abruptly, Arndt was removed from the project and Abrams took over screenwriting duties himself with Lawrence Kasdan acting as co-writers. Apparently Abrams and Arndt didn’t see eye-to-eye on how to proceed with this first installment in a new Star Wars trilogy, with Arndt wanting to focus on new characters and Abrams wanting to beef up the roles of the Original Trilogy actors (ie. Harrison Ford, Mark Hamill, and Carrie Fisher) and make them a more central part of the story."

Until that comes out of Arndts, Iger or Lucases mouth, it's just as the article says, "apparently". It might be true, but again, it doesn't matter because either way they failed. Because if this was "beefing up the roles", I would hate to see what their idea of cutting back was.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

This is exactly the opposite of what Arndt said to the SGA in 2015...and it sure looks like a “pro-Lucas” cover story

Arndt said SPECIFICALLY that Abrams begged for more OT characters...and he agreed...but Disney refused and directed them both to not include like skywalker in 7 because he would divert attention from the new characters.

He implies that it was impossible not to have them steal the show...which explains kinda why the 3 OT characters parts have been terrible. They mandated it.
He also basically confirmed the “SJW conspiracy” theory from useless Kathy...which I don’t like to publicly support...but it’s hard to ignore/divert.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Until that comes out of Arndts, Iger or Lucases mouth, it's just as the article says, "apparently". It might be true, but again, it doesn't matter because either way they failed. Because if this was "beefing up the roles", I would hate to see their idea of cutting back was.
Arndt said what happened...I don’t have a reason to doubt him.

One day treverow will spill it too

Hawkeye_2018

Arndt has been on record as saying he did not know how to write for Luke Skywalker. Thus he never came close to finishing the screenplay.

I'm convinced GL's treatment given to Disney was nothing but some very broad ideas on where to take the next movies.

erasure fan1

Arndt said what happened...I don’t have a reason to doubt him.

One day treverow will spill it too
The writing is on the wall, Disney didn't/doesn't want OT characters to be the focus. They wanted to move on. Arndt isn't going to throw disney under the bus. But you can piece together little bits from everywhere and the answer should be fairly obvious. Of course until everyone eventually releases their books, no one will no for sure.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The writing is on the wall, Disney didn't/doesn't want OT characters to be the focus. They wanted to move on. Arndt isn't going to throw disney under the bus. But you can piece together little bits from everywhere and the answer should be fairly obvious. Of course until everyone eventually releases their books, no one will no for sure.
I’ll try to find a link to that article. He basically did bus them

erasure fan1

I'm convinced GL's treatment given to Disney was nothing but some very broad ideas on where to take the next movies
Oh I have no doubt about that too. All signs point to it was mainly general plot points and concepts. I would think that more of the ideas from the Arndt screenplay made it into JJs than most think. Arndt got credit so they had to have used a fair share of the ideas.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Arndt has been on record as saying he did not know how to write for Luke Skywalker. Thus he never came close to finishing the screenplay.

I'm convinced GL's treatment given to Disney was nothing but some very broad ideas on where to take the next movies.
What he said was they told him don’t steal the show with skywalker...

And every time he tried...it didn’t work. And they were p!ssed.

Gee...perhaps because when you put one of the most iconic character in movie history...that CARRIED the most popular franchise in history...people might be interested in him?

The more I look at this (I didn’t till recently)...the more it looked like a Disney ordered hit job in 8. It really is hard to deny...even though even I don’t want to believe it. At all.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh I have no doubt about that too. All signs point to it was mainly general plot points and concepts. I would think that more of the ideas from the Arndt screenplay made it into JJs than most think. Arndt got credit so they had to have used a fair share of the ideas.
Agree...kasdan was brought in due to his “raiders/empire gravitas”...and they did a studio mandated reboot. He really wanted Solo. He admits that.

I have no doubt Arndt was hired for a reboot and new character tease as well

This seems so obvious it doesn’t even qualify for a conspiracy theory.

Hawkeye_2018

What he said was they told him don’t steal the show with skywalker...

And every time he tried...it didn’t work. And they were p!ssed.

Gee...perhaps because when you put one of the most iconic character in movie history...that CARRIED the most popular franchise in history...people might be interested in him?

The more I look at this (I didn’t till recently)...the more it looked like a Disney ordered hit job in 8. It really is hard to deny...even though even I don’t want to believe it. At all.
Arndt was in over his head. He wanted 18 months to write a screenplay! Disney just spent 4 billion and didn't have kinda time.

TFA is at 93% on RT. TLJ is at 91%. TFA almost made a billion domestic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom