News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

Piebald

Is it ludicrous to think Disney will offer something like "OT nights!" for an extra fee and include some old characters they saved from Star Wars Weekends, different merch and perhaps a separate Smugglers Run experience plus a dessert party? Would be depressingly hilarious

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Is it ludicrous to think Disney will offer something like "OT nights!" for an extra fee and include some old characters they saved from Star Wars Weekends, different merch and perhaps a separate Smugglers Run experience plus a dessert party? Would be depressingly hilarious

Don't give them any ideas! If someone can come up with the right ROI for something like this, you know $hapek will green-light it.

drod1985

Not ludicrous at all, I find that highly likely. I'd see it as more of an OT season rather than an up-charged dessert party. I don't find that "depressingly hilarious" either, seems like a great way to take advantage of the new land they just built.

Steph15251

Since I am not a Star War fan my issue with the land is not that it is not Star Wars enough.It is that the land does not have much to do.ROTR would help but they will still need more with the land.

britain

Yes, that was always the plan. Again, it's not the phasing out, it's how they did it. It was supposed to be a passing of the tourch. But they really just skipped the passing and went right to the new.

Not according to what's been reported. JJ thought George's 7/8/9 outlines were too focused on the next generation of characters, with Han/Luke/Leia relegated to cameo support. When JJ took over the story, he wanted better 'last hurrahs' for them. The sequel films that we got have a lot more of the classic trio than what George was planning for.

erasure fan1

Not according to what's been reported. JJ thought George's 7/8/9 outlines were too focused on the next generation of characters, with Han/Luke/Leia relegated to cameo support. When JJ took over the story, he wanted better 'last hurrahs' for them. The sequel films that we got have a lot more of the classic trio than what George was planning for.
George said his story revolved around the micro biotic world of the Whills and he was doubling down on midiclorians. All signs point to Disney wanting the OT characters mostly sidelined. JJ made the movie Disney wanted. A familiar star wars movie that focused on new characters.

Kman101

Duh. I haven't seen anyone suggest it before -- probably missed it -- but this is brilliant. Honestly, would solve a couple of issues all at one. Why not have a streetmosphere (a la the bands in the World Showcase) of an "alien" band that plays Star Wars hits and maybe some "spacey" original stuff.

I mean, not everyone in the band has to be an alien. But if some of them are and they play some of the classic music that some/many feel is missing from the land then it seems like a win for everyone. I kept on thinking that roaming aliens should just be people walking around and doing photo ops (or AAs on the second story) but this actually is the best option.

Problems addressed:
1. Lack of aliens in land
2. Lack of Star wars music
3. Lack of free "stuff to do"

Maybe have two bands that play different sets and have different aliens and... I think you have a solid winner.

Thank you. And exactly, it solves numerous issues at once.

We all know WDW is very cheap when it comes to entertainment, sadly. It's an afterthought and an easy first cut. Does MK have anything left at this point? At least they leave Main Street alone ... for now

Kman101

What I’m wondering is why we need Falcon when Star Tours is already a thing? Granted, I have yet to see it for myself, but I’ve seen quite a few comparisons between those two.

Because for fans it's more appealing to "pilot/ride the falcon", you know? I for one expected Falcon to be the superior experience but Star Tours remains better, IMHO. I was all for Tours being re-themed after Falcon opened but now I want it to stick around, lol.

Hawkeye_2018

George said his story revolved around the micro biotic world of the Whills and he was doubling down on midiclorians. All signs point to Disney wanting the OT characters mostly sidelined. JJ made the movie Disney wanted. A familiar star wars movie that focused on new characters.
In George's treatment, 'Rey' would have been much younger (12-15). There is also no indication that 'the big 3' would have had a larger role in his version. Remember, he has been critical of Disney's lack of new planets, ships, characters. So seems unlikely he would have focused more on older characters.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The wider walkways means less bottlenecks of crowds. And the exterior look is better because it is more realistic. DL's version looks completely fake.

You should probably see some comparison photos and videos. Hollywood's GE is much better.
I’ll see if for myself and compare the two.
And I think you’re telling yourself what you want to believe

“Much better” is an interesting concept in cloned builds

KikoKea

I'm kinda depressed. I was hoping to check out the land in January, but I can't swing it finacially. Would be nice to offer an opinion of the land.
Well, trying to be positive, perhaps when you can visit, they will have more activity going on, such as the stunt shows and streetmosphere, as well as a TS and RotR working properly. :)

erasure fan1

In George's treatment, 'Rey' would have been much younger (12-15). There is also no indication that 'the big 3' would have had a larger role in his version. Remember, he has been critical of Disney's lack of new planets, ships, characters. So seems unlikely he would have focused more on older characters.
Right, as explored by Solo's kids. The main OT characters were cameos.
The only thing we know for sure, is what George said in an interview with James Cameron I believe. And that was he would focus on the midiclorians and Whills. We have no idea if it would have featured the OT people heavily or not. I think Iger wasn't wrong to go away from Georges treatments. I personally just don't think Lucas would have treated his characters the same way Disney did. Even if the screen time was similar.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The only thing we know for sure, is what George said in an interview with James Cameron I believe. And that was he would focus on the midiclorians and Whills. We have no idea if it would have featured the OT people heavily or not. I think Iger wasn't wrong to go away from Georges treatments. I personally just don't think Lucas would have treated his characters the same way Disney did. Even if the screen time was similar.

I think what we will say...sadly too soon...in our retrospective on Star Wars is that neither George nor Disney had anyone around that understood why people loved Star Wars. It was ALL the elements that contributed to the phenomena...the formula worked in the 1980’s and could have again...but they simply wouldn’t accept it - for whatever reason.

George seemed to be spite for the Hollywood at that time...his divorce weighed heavily into that as well...

Disney just didn’t put the right people in place at LFL...they lack creativity and understanding.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s certainly not FFG. Their Star Wars line is bristling with OT stuff.
FFG?

I have friends that work for a certain toy brick company...ahem...which don’t disclose much.

And they seem to indicate it’s widely known that the lack of appeal for the new material as compared to the original is STAGGERING.

And that a lot collectors...but it’s more than that. Disney hasn’t even tried to produce any new hardware that people would WANT to own! None of this stuff is cool at all. That’s why it’s collectors models, anniversary sets, rehash’s, etc.

The_Jobu

FFG?

I have friends that work for a certain toy brick company...ahem...which don’t disclose much.

And they seem to indicate it’s widely known that the lack of appeal for the new material as compared to the original is STAGGERING.

And that a lot collectors...but it’s more than that. Disney hasn’t even tried to produce any new hardware that people would WANT to own! None of this stuff is cool at all. That’s why it’s collectors models, anniversary sets, rehash’s, etc.

Wow, you know someone at Mega Blocks??

Timmay

FFG?

Fantasy Flight Games. Their line of tabletop Star Wars games is impressive. If you’re ever at GenCon, plan to spend time in line just to get into their product booth, especially for the SW stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom