News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

erasure fan1

I was born in '77. I'm a OT Star Wars kid. But the franchise has to be able to grow beyond Han/Luke/Leia if it is going to be enduringly relevant to future generations who will not watch anything more than 10 years old
I agree with you 100%, I'm of the same demographic. The problem is how Disney has tried to move beyond the OT. You don't do it by shutting it out like they have. There is no need to go cold turkey. They could have had their cake and ate it too. This was 100% a choice. I've said before, they could have ushered in a new era while fully respecting the roots. Trust me on this, Kids still love the OT characters.

WDW Pro

I agree with you 100%, I'm of the same demographic. The problem is how Disney has tried to move beyond the OT. You don't do it by shutting it out like they have. There is no need to go cold turkey. They could have had their cake and ate it too. This was 100% a choice. I've said before, they could have ushered in a new era while fully respecting the roots. Trust me on this, Kids still love the OT characters.

You mean you shouldn't buy the world's most popular franchise, fundamentally change the main characters, kill the main characters, create new boring characters, and fail to implement an overarching story?

ToTBellHop

You mean you shouldn't buy the world's most popular franchise, fundamentally change the main characters, kill the main characters, create new boring characters, and fail to implement an overarching story?
Harrison insisted on Han being killed and Carrie literally died. Wasn’t Luke’s storyline what Lucas planned?

Maybe they just shouldn’t have made Ep7-9.

erasure fan1

Harrison insisted on Han being killed and Carrie literally died. Wasn’t Luke’s storyline what Lucas planned?

Maybe they just shouldn’t have made Ep7-9.
Yes, Ford wanted that but he also likes money. So I have no doubts they could have gotten him for a 2nd movie. Yes Carrie died, but after the 2nd movie was completed. There was plenty of time to get the gang back together again. And last, Lucas had Luke on an island, that is true. But we don't know why he was there. And I doubt it was because he was shutting out the force and turning his back on everything and everyone.

britain

I will happily engage in a discussion over whether or not the new characters are boring. But wasn’t phasing out the old characters always expected?

Han / Luke / Leia were not the main characters of the prequels. Why would they be the main characters of the sequels?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You'll have to show me where Iger takes blame for all of Disney Star Wars. I think I missed that.

All the new movies were profitable with the exception of Solo. For that, in a conference call, Iger blamed himself for greenlighting the movie to come out too soon (and Ron Howard was very rushed when he took over, the brass should have taken more time).

The_Jobu

All the new movies were profitable with the exception of Solo. For that, in a conference call, Iger blamed himself for greenlighting the movie to come out too soon (and Ron Howard was very rushed when he took over, the brass should have taken more time).

Yah, that's not Star Wars as a whole.

The_Jobu

“But why did they kill off Padme? Or Obi Wan? Or Vader!? Continue their stories!”

I am constantly shocked with people who were shocked that Han Solo got killed.

Because those were the original triology? We already knew about Padme and they did continue Anakin and Obi Wans stories in the prequels...?

The_Jobu

I'm kinda depressed. I was hoping to check out the land in January, but I can't swing it finacially. Would be nice to offer an opinion of the land.

doctornick

Where's the Cantina band roaming the land playing familiar music? If you don't want background music (which I agree with but I know fans are using that as an example of why it sucks) then do this!

Duh. I haven't seen anyone suggest it before -- probably missed it -- but this is brilliant. Honestly, would solve a couple of issues all at one. Why not have a streetmosphere (a la the bands in the World Showcase) of an "alien" band that plays Star Wars hits and maybe some "spacey" original stuff.

I mean, not everyone in the band has to be an alien. But if some of them are and they play some of the classic music that some/many feel is missing from the land then it seems like a win for everyone. I kept on thinking that roaming aliens should just be people walking around and doing photo ops (or AAs on the second story) but this actually is the best option.

Problems addressed:
1. Lack of aliens in land
2. Lack of Star wars music
3. Lack of free "stuff to do"

Maybe have two bands that play different sets and have different aliens and... I think you have a solid winner.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom