Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

ImperfectPixie

I know a few people who are being goaded into it by family. A casual “she doesn’t like heights” can probably be pushed aside for a 10-minute ride. I think most people just assume it’ll run fine and it’ll just be a case of nervousness. I suspect many folks like that have never experienced an extreme to know how they’d react in that sort of situation.

What happened this weekend, though, changes expectations quite a bit. Someone who’s a little nervous with heights could have a full-blown meltdown in a situation like this.
I should add that I fear these lengthy evacuations (just because of the nature of the Skyliner) will become a regular thing because of people over-estimating their ability to keep their phobias in check.

TrojanUSC

Random conspiracy theory here, but wasn't the Reedy Creek Fire Marshal just complaining a few months back about not having a big enough budget to handle any issues that would arise on the property? Is it possible that there was a small slowdown from the FD to push for a larger future budget to handle problems like this one causing the wait times to stretch to 3 hours? Again, just a random conspiracy theory.

No, that would be a massive liability. It's been catalogued what happened. They also had to rely on some sharing of services with the neighboring counties. However, this does stress why it's so important RCID gets the increase in firefighters. Had there been another issue at WDW at the same time, it would have been a disaster.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Do we know the actual timeline? @Lift Blog said on his blog that the first tweet went out at 8:45 pm. From posts here and elsewhere, it sounds like everyone was fully offloaded around 11 pm.

Dirk

Stoppage was between 7:45 and 8pm approx
EMS were seen behind EPCOT a little after 9.. reports of active evacs were seen around 9:30
They got the line moving around 10:50-11pm
Reports of 'all clear' were right after midnight

All of these are pulls from tweets that seemed to jive with other direct sources. Times are approximate.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And the one degree temperature rise of which he speaks was from 90°F to 91°F. As the attached table shows if the relative humidity is 65% (which is common at WDW) and the temperature is 91°F, then the Heat Index is in the danger zone!

View attachment 416745

Your grasp of basic science is woefully... bad.

That chart is from NOAA for situations of *prolonged exposure* or strenuous activity. NOAA issues heat warnings if there's going to be more than 2 days of elevated heat.

You're claim of 1 degree makes a huge difference is completely absurd and ridiculous.

Here are the parts you're (intentionally?) leaving out...

Obviously, this isn't a chart for what happens in just a few hours with a one degree increase being the difference between life and death.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Why? This one incident doesn’t negate all of the success these systems have had including in other tourist destinations.

They aren't saying for every rider. They were being specific to the riders that may suffer from claustrophobia or anxiety or panic attacks that think they could "suck it up" for seven minutes, when the reality is that they could be stuck in one for hours if there is another issue. It may not be worth the risk, if they were told this flat out.

carolina_yankee

Twitter is not behaving... but it looks like it stopped sometime between 7:45 and 8pm by most lay accounts I saw. By 10:50ish they were moving the line so cabins could unload if I recall. It's 'right about' 3hrs by my estimates... but don't let facts get in the way of emotional toil :D

Thanks. I do think it's helpful to know for certain what the actual delay was and From Lift Blog's post, it looked liked it could have been about 2:30. 3:00 is definitely a different category.

I don't discount emotional toil. People have anxieties, physical issues, etc., all of which are exacerbated under stress. It's one thing to experience something for three hours that you expect to be three hours, and another to have no knowledge of or input about what's going on and it stretched out the three hours.

I think phrases like "hanging by a thread" and "cheapens out" probably have more to with anxiety or alternate agendas than facts. For me, my issues would be related to not knowing what's going on. A simple announcement like "we are undergoing a medical evacuation and will work to address the stoppage as soon as the evacuation is completed" could have gone a long way. And then "We have identified the cause for the stoppage and plan to resume service in x minutes (shortly, after the next update, whatever). "

Dirk

ImperfectPixie

Why? This one incident doesn’t negate all of the success these systems have had including in other tourist destinations.
Oh, I don't think it does. I'm looking forward to riding them myself. I made that statement in regards to people who have fear of heights, claustrophobia, etc. that may cause them to have issues while riding...which could lead to the need for evacuations by Reedy Creek.

itsy bitsy spider

I definitely want the Gondolas to succeed. We need as many transportation options as possible. I don't care if they hire Godzilla (Universal has King Kong) to carry people around.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think phrases like "hanging by a thread" and "cheapens out" probably have more to with anxiety or alternate agendas than facts. For me, my issues would be related to not knowing what's going on. A simple announcement like "we are undergoing a medical evacuation and will work to address the stoppage as soon as the evacuation is completed" could have gone a long way. And then "We have identified the cause for the stoppage and plan to resume service in x minutes (shortly, after the next update, whatever). "

agree - unfortunately Disney never does this, so it's not gonna change now. Dunno what the train of thought is... but that's long been the procedure. Heck, look at what they were telling people NOT on the ride... that this was just a "power failure" and "unexpected downtime". Transparency is not high on the list for Disney :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
Oh, I don't think it does. I'm looking forward to riding them myself. I made that statement in regards to people who have fear of heights, claustrophobia, etc. that may cause them to have issues while riding...which could lead to the need for evacuations by Reedy Creek.

Like I said earlier...
Im waiting for the next fad of “disney travel hacks” when people discuss what keywords to use to get evac’d off the skyliner first... you know some will do it.

It will happen... :)

Minthorne

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom