Disney Skyliner shutdown and evacuation - October 6 2019

Lilofan

It’s not being used as an excuse....or even reasoning. Thus our new member who is a fan of Lilo uses subjective terms like “Most likely“ and “probably“. Sounds like someone is bitter about being passed up on a “leadership” position. The same person was also certain this was caused by incorrect weight distribution, among other things.
Nice fantasy to assume about.

TPSou

That essentially sums it up. It blows my mind how badly this whole system was designed.

From essentially day 1 Disney’s whole attitude towards who brought up the potential hazards of being trapped for hours in an un air conditioned car high off the ground in a state with scorching temperatures and frequent strong thunderstorms has been “Don’t worry about it. It’ll be fine.”

Just as mind blowing are the number of Disney apologists who, despite the fact every piece of evidence has pointed to this being a badly designed system built on the cheap, have constantly defended and echoed Disney’s position that it’ll be fine and things like being stuck in one of these in 100 degree heat is no big deal.

And, now that they’ve had an incident less than a few weeks in, their defenses have changed from “It’ll never happen” to “Oh yeah? What about the Monorail? What about Space Mountain? What about FOP? They break down too.
Of course they completely ignore all the differences in their straw men argument, but whatever.
But surely the point is it did break down and despite them being very slow to evacuate, everyone's fine. So maybe some of those fears were unfounded.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Yeah, remind me again how the attendance figures at WDW and DLR have been lately.
I get it “Disney is holy and can do no wrong”
Carry on.
Wdw aint hurting for attendance.
Disney can do a lot wrong in my opinion. Last trip was in 2017 . No intention of returing to the parks myself until crowding dies down.

joelkfla

newstoday reports all three lines have been shutdown all day.

My question is.. did anyone look at riviera today to see if they cleared the cabins overnight? Or is it still as it was yesterday?
Except for the teal cabin that was pushed into the take-off spur, wouldn't they all have had to be moved with the rest when the line started moving?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Except for the teal cabin that was pushed into the take-off spur, wouldn't they all have had to be moved with the rest when the line started moving?

Yes, the rest would have moved when they cycled the rest of the guests off. My question was more if they've addressed what happened in the station with #108.. or if there has been investigative activity at the station today. Not seeing much from my early searches... curious if others had more coverage.

Mark IV Fan

No, that's not how heat exhaustion works. Plus, those outside in the sun without cover are constantly being fed in new energy. That's why the idea of being in shade/cover is so important.. and why the gondola's design is so important. It's not a simple glass box.

Leaving the queue is not easy to do in a long extended queue.. and even those that do it is a very small percentage.

The point is literally THOUSANDS of people would go through this trial and tribulations without incident every day. Maybe, just maybe, it's not as extreme as you paint it to be.

Yet, you still see thousands of those high risk people waiting in the sun for parades, etc
View attachment 416497

Yes, some people are more susceptible to heat issues... but those same people are going to be at risk no matter what form of vehicle they are in if they do not have AC. So there is risk of this everywhere. You have to manage it and you can't account for every possible extreme. For those extreme cases, or someone in distress, Disney can evac those people first.

The problem is people are exaggerating the situation people will be in.
Yeah you’re right. The skyliner cars are amazing! They actually COOL you down in the middle of the Florida sun! Not only that they make you richer and younger! If they hit 88mph they can go back in time!

Again, when you’re stuck in one for 3 hours on a 100 degree day, maybe with a screaming baby and you can come out and say “Wow, that wasn’t bad at all!” Please let me know.

natatomic

Most are not willing to leave. And on top of that, most survive without incident. The point of the example is to show that the idea of being outside without AC for extended periods is not mass carnage like people portray it.

And did people call for Everest Queue to be shortened or made indoors because of it? Or get rid of the attraction because this risk existed?

Yes, it's standard faire for every outdoor festival, event, gathering, etc. First Aid tents address heat exhaustion as the norm. Yet... somehow.. people don't call these events death traps, or call for them to be eliminated if they can't add A/C to the whole place.

No, we didn’t get rid of that portion of the queue, but we only opened it if absolutely necessary, and did spiels to keep the line moving and fast as possible to minimize the amount of time me people were in that portion. We also provided water fountains. Disney did what they could to keep people comfortable. And I’m not calling for them the get rid of the skyline. I LIKE it. However, to pretend there isn’t the potential for lots of people to be hurt (via heat) is naive at best and just plain ignorant at worst.

Again, the biggest thing you’re missing here is that if people “aren’t willing” to leave the hot queues or get out of the sun while waiting for a parade and then they get sick, that is ENTIRELY on them. People always have a CHOICE in the matter whether or not to listen to the cues of there body.

If an 8 minute gondola ride with constant air flow suddenly turns into a 3 hour stagnant wait with ZERO WAY OUT until Reedy Creek comes and cherry picks you out, that is a flaw in Disney.

Again, I LIKE the skyliner. I am not bashing it by a long shot. However, I refuse to ignorantly ignore the potential harm that could happen (and obviously isn’t even THAT unlikely given that this happened only 6 days into operation). I like the skyliner, but is there a small flaw in the system? Um....yeah.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Yeah you’re right. The skyliner cars are amazing! They actually COOL you down in the middle of the Florida sun! Not only that they make you richer and younger! If they hit 88mph they can go back in time!

Again, when you’re stuck in one for 3 hours on a 100 degree day, maybe with a screaming baby and you can come out and say “Wow, that wasn’t bad at all!” Please let me know.
You'll be able to say, "That was almost, but not quite, as bad as standing uncovered in the sun with a screaming baby for 3 hours."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom