News Star Wars Galaxy's Edge opening day reports - Disney's Hollywood Studios

mergatroid

Yeah...in my hundreds of days of parks...I’ve never seen anyone scale spaceship earth, the Mexico pavilion, Cinderella’s castle of the main lodge at grand Floridian..

So I don’t believe WDI has to design around that occurrence.

Those types of actual safety issues are not frequent or in that ballpark.

And again...simple staffing/management can take care of kids in fountains. If they are US women’s national team soccer players...then you’ve sold too much liquor and the Florida control board needs to take a look at the policies.

Just asking Disney To earn what they charge. Such is life.

Good for you, I'm not sure anyone is saying you have.

Movielover

There are idiots everywhere, and occasionally a few of them will do dumb things regardless of deterrents. So that means we can't have a photo opp prop? C'mon.
Never said we couldn't have photo ops, but thats the reason they have to be fenced in away from guest. They can cause harm if people are horsing around on them. C'mon.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not particularly, no. Why don't you if you're that interested and seemingly have the time and desire to do these things. Go ahead and knock yourself out, it sounds fun ;)
Nope...I just like how the moving line of excuses for every slightly critical aspect of this land continues to spin on the wheel.

Kids in fountains in France explain the design choices that lead to a lack of interaction...in this case.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yeah, I can't stand the parents that let there kids run wild. I understand you don't want to use a belt on your kid. But these parents nowadays have gone too much the other way. The kids are running the households.
Yep...it’s a problem.

I’m not sure what’s bigger: 8 year olds running their parents households or 28 year olds running their parents households 😉

Our problems are “layered” like a bloomin’ onion

Jones14

Hell, even something as simple as the creepy AA that occasionally opens the window and looks out at guests in Harry Potter land.

I like GE and am not as hyper critical as some but they really need some aliens walking around. Or at least some minimal movement AAs people can spend their time looking at.
To be completely fair, the land isn’t really lacking in animatronics/animated figures, and Hondo, Dok, and Rex are all very impressive and entertaining to watch.

Disney’s motto with figures also seems to be fewer things, but more intricate, whereas Universal seems to favor the opposite approach.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To be completely fair, the land isn’t really lacking in animatronics/animated figures, and Hondo, Dok, and Rex are all very impressive and entertaining to watch.

Disney’s motto with figures also seems to be fewer things, but more intricate, whereas Universal seems to favor the opposite approach.
Granted...but those are inside ride queues and small upfront cost places...

A little more “scenery” that is - ghast 😱- included the land you pay for in your ticket and/or doesn’t require a fastpass would be nice, wouldn’t it?

ImperfectPixie

Have you ever been around a kid? Just curious. Not condoning bad behavior...just not expecting WDI to design based on it.

Let’s face it: putting it behind fences is for ONE big reason in this discussion...so that it requires less money to maintain it.

Can we cut the bull?

Yeah...in my hundreds of days of parks...I’ve never seen anyone scale spaceship earth, the Mexico pavilion, Cinderella’s castle of the main lodge at grand Floridian...

So I don’t believe WDI has to design around that occurrence.

Those types of actual safety issues are not frequent or in that ballpark.

And again...simple staffing/management can take care of kids in fountains. If they are US women’s national team soccer players...then you’ve sold too much liquor and the Florida control board needs to take a look at the policies.

Just asking Disney To earn what they charge. Such is life.
Wait...cut what bull?

Ummm...I have two autistic boys who are better-behaved travelers than many neuro-typical adults, so yes, I've been around kids.

ETA: Disney shouldn't have to pay for staff to deal with children in fountains...that's the PARENTS' job.

Mickeyboof

There’s no fence around the castle. You can reach out and touch it. Hug it if you want.

There’s no fence around the cars at DCA.

What’s the difference? Why is there a physical line between the guest and the tangible experience at Star Wars?

Why are there more rules and regulations at the new, immersive, ground breaking, “live YOUR Star Wars adventure” land than in the park it’s stuck onto!?

When a place, event, immersive show or otherwise says “you have agency,” then every instance where you DON’T have agency hurts more than if they never said anything about agency in the first place.

Jones14

Granted...but those are inside ride queues and small upfront cost places...

A little more “scenery” that is - ghast 😱- included the land you pay for in your ticket and/or doesn’t require a fastpass would be nice, wouldn’t it?
Yeah, that’s a problem; if I don’t have any interest in the bar, and decide to skip out on “another shop” and miss Dok, that’s two thirds of the land’s coolest animatronics gone right there.

With that said, Rise will have more than the rest of the land put together, and I personally don’t discount the rides/queues, since that’s where animatronics are historically meant to be found. If we did that, Hogsmeade would be even worse off than Batuu.

The place still needs some aliens and bounty hunters walking around, though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There’s no fence around the castle. You can reach out and touch it. Hug it if you want.

There’s no fence around the cars at DCA.

What’s the difference? Why is there a physical line between the guest and the tangible experience at Star Wars?

Why are there more rules and regulations at the new, immersive, ground breaking, “live YOUR Star Wars adventure” land than in the park it’s stuck onto!?

When a place, event, immersive show or otherwise says “you have agency,” then every instance where you DON’T have agency hurts more than if they never said anything about agency in the first place.
If you can’t touch it...it won’t need any repainting...

Or is Tuesday “don’t make it plain” day??

There is a security/safety thing there...I can grant that. There is also ADA compliance/access...but at the end of the day, actual employees - which the bobs hate the very existence of - would solve 9,999 out of every 10,000 problems

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wait...cut what bull?

Ummm...I have two autistic boys who are better-behaved travelers than many neuro-typical adults, so yes, I've been around kids.

ETA: Disney shouldn't have to pay for staff to deal with children in fountains...that's the PARENTS' job.

I’m saying the only two reasons to not let near the stuff are these:
1. Making you rush past to go to the pay stuff
2. Not wanting to spend money for upkeep as things get used.

Both reasons suck

Stevie Amsterdam

I think we were talking in circles...we generally agree on a lot of things.
That’s what we do here 🤪
With our fixation on this, can you really blame us?

rsm

The only ADA issues with the ships are that they are wider than their landing feet, so a blind patron guiding them self with a cane could conceivable walk into the side of the ship since there is no obstruction on the ground to indicate that an object is at head height.

This could have easily been solved with a standard "cane rail" along the ground which would still allow people to reach up and touch the ships.

Looking at the MF fence, I definitely think this was a last minute addition. The composition of the ingrade lighting and floor pattern are graphically "unaware" of a fence, and are no longer necessary to frame that area once you add a big old fence.

MrHappy

Looking at the MF fence, I definitely think this was a last minute addition. The composition of the ingrade lighting and floor pattern are graphically "unaware" of a fence, and are no longer necessary to frame that area once you add a big old fence.
Well of course it's last minute. As soon as the Falcon landed, the good folks of Batuu fenced it in. The backstory is they wanted to plant shrubbery and flowers along the fence. It's cannon. Look it up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom