Trip Report 2018-2019 A Year in the Land (Disneyland)...a multi-trip report

Hello and welcome to my trip report for my year as an annual passholder to Disneyland. Me (Amy) and my husband (Brad) have been passholders of both Disneyland and Walt Disney World but this year we decided to be exclusive to just the Land. It was a little painful to give up going to WDW this year, we consider it our home park but we also enjoy Disneyland too. I think I have a little more fondness to it than Brad, but anyway.... So why are we passholders for DL exclusively this year instead of WDW or both parks. Well financially it didn't necessarily make sense. Brad is a big Star Wars fan and I'm a big Disney nerd so with Galaxy's Edge opening in the Land earlier than WDW that was a draw. And the D23 Expo is in Anaheim again this year so it checked boxes for both of us.

So I'm going to begin this report a little in the past, 2018, that's right so long ago! :) We traveled to Disneyland over Thanksgiving 2018 and bought our annual passes so that is where we will start the trip report.

Upcoming trips:
A. late March 2019
B. possibly (most likely) a solo trip for me over Easter 2019 (Why solo?...well Brad is a pastor and the congregation kind of expects him to be there over Easter. I'm a teacher and have a nice little break over Easter and the hubs is too busy over Holy week and Easter so he won't really notice I'm gone.)
C. Late June 2019 to celebrate our anniversary and birthdays all in June and in the same week. This trip will include Los Angeles, Sequoia National Park, Death Valley National Park, Joshua Tree National Park & Palm Springs as well as Disneyland (and perhaps if rumors are true our first entrance into Galaxy's Edge)
D. our last trip late August for Disneyland and D23 Expo

By the way...if any of you are in Disneyland when our paths cross it would be cool to have any meet ups or say hi. I've met a few awesome WDWMagic members in Walt Disney World and it has been so cool. Don't be afraid to say hi if you see us walking around too!:):cool:

So let's start the first leg of the trip report: November 20-25 2018

Tuesday November 20
Brad and I both had a full day at work. My day should have been full of students but since it is Deer Hunting week (or at least the big gun hunting week) in Wisconsin and Thanksgiving week, our district gives the kids the week off and teachers report for two days of inservice. So it wasn't a hectic day for me. However there was a little kerfuffle in the plan for today. It involved our beloved and spoiled minature schnauzer Kapono.
IMG_5529.JPG

My boss said that we could leave at 3pm instead of 3:30pm so hubby picked me up on the way to drop off Kapono at the kennel. Kapono has only spent 2 days ever in this kennel (good experience) usually she stays with my sister but she was unable to care for her this time. So it was the first time Kapono was going to be spending an extended time in a kennel. So we arrived at the kennel and no one is there, even though it is check-in time and the main building for the kennel is unlocked. So we go inside and wait thinking that maybe the owner is just busy at the house and will be out soon. After 5 minutes no one came even though dogs were barking in her house and in the kennel. So hubs gives her a call. And in the mean time I'm concerned that she left the kennel unlocked! Anyway, the lady was surprised we were calling and had lost track of time and was an hour away from the kennel. But more importantly she was surprised that we were there because she hadn't written down our reservation!!!! Hubs had the email confirmation though. Luckily she had one run left. She said it was luckily for us, but really it was lucky for her!!!! I don't know what we would have done if that run wouldn't have been available though. Although hubs said one of our church members would have pitched in for us. So I took Kapono out into the fenced in yard area and when I let her in she happily ran into the open caged run. I was glad she seemed happy to be there but a little concerned now at the professionalism of the kennel owner. Fast forward to the end of our trip when we picked her up...Kapono had been a good girl there and was safe (and clean). So it all worked out and this over-protective dog mom was happy, and the kennel owner apologized a few times.

So anyway, after we dropped Kapono off we drove up to Minneapolis to the airport for our flight. We ended up being pretty early for our flight but we'd rather wait safely at the airport than be stressed out in traffic. Check in and security took less than 15 minutes so we had a decent meal and drinks at the Minnesota Wild (our favorite hockey team) teamed restaurant). We hadn't planned on eating here but I guess it was fate since we were wearing our Disney Minnesota Wild themed shirts.

IMG_4241.JPG
IMG_4242.JPG
IMG_5760.JPG
IMG_5762.JPG

IMG_5764.JPG

The seats we were in used to be 1st class but now the company is going more the Spirit route and these seats were $45 more to the base ticket price. So for that we thought it was a deal to have slightly bigger seats and more foot space for the flight.
IMG_5766.JPG

Adios Minnesota!
IMG_5767.JPG

We flew into LAX and took an Uber to Anaheim. The traffic was a little heavy in the arrival/departure area so it took our Uber driver a little while about 10-15 minutes to get to us, but it didn't seem too bad. We made it to Anaheim in about 40 minutes (our driver was a speed demon) but that was okay with us. We checked into our hotel the Best Western Park Place Inn, literally across the street from the entrance as seen below. We went to the ticket booth and purchased/cashed in 4 day park hoppers for our annual passes with Max pass and gleefully entered Disneyland with about 40 minutes until park close!

IMG_5769.JPG

Last edited:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry for the delay in the report, work has been crazy. I

Monday August 19, 2019

After Oga's B wanted to build another droid, this time he wanted to build an R2 unit. We had a reservation but it was not needed, there wasn't any wait. This time the droid building went faster because he knew how to put it together. Although he bought some additional decorations that he put on there. After he built the droid I sat down for a bit while he tried to see if the new droid would have any interactions in the land. I guess it beeped at some droids. Brad had fun with it though. Our dog hates it just as much as she hates the BB unit that we brought home in June.
IMG_8919.JPG

IMG_8920.JPG

IMG_8921.JPG

IMG_8925.JPG

IMG_8931.JPG

A boy and his droid!
IMG_8932.JPG

A close up of the new toy. I think he named it R2-BP, Brad named it after himself. :(:oops: I thought he should have named it R2-KP, after our dog.
IMG_8934.JPG

We thought this was cute!
IMG_8935.JPG

While B was off playing with his droid, I sat in these areas and enjoyed the atmosphere.
IMG_3757.JPG

IMG_3759.JPG

After this we were a little tuckered out so we headed out of the park and noticed that the Candy Cane shuttle was due to arrive soon, and we made it to the shuttle stop a couple minutes before it arrived. It wasn't a long walk to the Candy Cane, but it was nice to have the shuttle available for us too. So soon we arrived back to our room, unpacked a little and took a nap.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday August 19, 2019

After our nap we took the shuttle back to Disneyland, the shuttle only took about 2-3 minutes. I can't remember all that we did. But we did go on the Matterhorn, the train. We had dinner somewhere but I don't have any pictures of it. I'm thinking we ate at the Red Rose Tavern, yep we did. We had pepperoni flatbread and the poutine. It was good but the poutine barely had any of the beef or cheese on it. It had taken a long time to get so we didn't feel like complaining.

We got our spots for Fantasmic. I think I've said it before but we actually prefer sitting near the back. Then fence in the front gets in my view so I don't like that and in order to get a spot by the rail more time needs to be invested with waiting. I have found that in the back it is at the top of the rise so I can see over people and then no one is behind me either.

So we had our spots in the back and the people next to us had a balloon that lit up tied to their stroller. The kids were playing around with it before the show started and then turned it off. Right as the show was starting one of the kids reached over and turned it back on, the parents didn't see as they were sitting in front of the stroller. It was in my peripheral vision and it was bright. I knew it was going to bother me, so I asked Brad if I should say something and he said no. But I knew I would be bothered so I tapped the mom on the shoulder and asked politely if they could turn it off. She right away said sorry and looked annoyed at her kid and turned it off. I was glad that she was so nice about it. It was a great show as usual!

IMG_3762 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3767 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3773 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3774 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3775.JPG

IMG_9575.JPG

IMG_9577.JPG

IMG_9579.JPG

IMG_9580.JPG

IMG_9581.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday August 19, 2019

After Fantasmic we headed over to the Haunted Mansion and had a brief stoppage in front of the Hatbox ghost.
IMG_9582.JPG

IMG_9583.JPG

Before we left for Disneyland Brad and I had a little trivia contest. One of the questions he gave me was how long of a ride is Pirates. He said the answer was 16 minutes. I argued that the question was a little unfair because the ride length could change depending on boat backups. He said he had read the fact in a book by Disney archivist Dave Smith so he had to be right. So to prove my point I timed it every time we rode. It was never just 16 minutes, I pointed out that perhaps it was an average. Brad still thinks I'm wrong. My stopwatch says otherwise.
IMG_9584.PNG

More roastie toasties!!!
IMG_9585.JPG

IMG_9587.JPG

We caught a little of the Main Street Electrical parade. I have mixed feelings about the parade. Part of me likes it and part of me thinks it is a snooze-fest. Both of us agreed that we would have rather have had Paint the Night parade instead.
IMG_8946.JPG

IMG_8947.JPG

And on our way out we met up with Pluto.
IMG_8948.JPG

We missed the Candy Cane shuttle back so we had to hoof it back, I timed the walk and it took us 10 minutes.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
After Oga's B wanted to build another droid, this time he wanted to build an R2 unit. We had a reservation but it was not needed, there wasn't any wait. This time the droid building went faster because he knew how to put it together. Although he bought some additional decorations that he put on there. After he built the droid I sat down for a bit while he tried to see if the new droid would have any interactions in the land. I guess it beeped at some droids. Brad had fun with it though. Our dog hates it just as much as she hates the BB unit that we brought home in June.

Gotta say, I got such a kick out of this droid "project". Loved the photos of Brad so intensely involved in assembling his droid. (Even funnier that Kapono hates it at home! That would be our dog, Jack, too -- Jack can't even deal with a vacuum cleaner in the next room, let alone a droid!) :hilarious: Glad that Brad had so much fun! :)

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Gotta say, I got such a kick out of this droid "project". Loved the photos of Brad so intensely involved in assembling his droid. (Even funnier that Kapono hates it at home! That would be our dog, Jack, too -- Jack can't even deal with a vacuum cleaner in the next room, let alone a droid!) :hilarious: Glad that Brad had so much fun! :)

Yes, he has been very intense when building his droids. It should be interesting to watch him in March when he gets to build his light saber. Kapono hates the vacuum cleaner too. This summer when I would need to vacuum the house I put her out on the porch so she might feel "safe", apparently that wasn't "safe" enough I still found her hiding under a table out there when I was done. The other day we had a friend over so of course Brad needed to show off his droids and Kapono was not happy with both of them out. :D

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday August 20, 2019

After I took a couple drops on Guardians we headed over to Soarin' because Monster's was down. We did find this fun Avenger's photo prop though.
IMG_8968.JPG

After Soarin' we headed to Carsland, along the way is a little vineyard. I've been tracking these vines since November and they are getting bigger. I'm kind of sad I won't see them with grapes this year but it was fun watching them grow.
IMG_3802.JPG

Once in Carsland we went to Luigi's.
IMG_3806.JPG

IMG_3807.JPG

IMG_3808.JPG

IMG_8971.JPG

Then to Radiator Springs, once through the fast pass (which took about 15 minutes) and then through the empty single rider line.
IMG_9633.JPG

IMG_9634.JPG

We went to the Cozy Cone area but the ice cream stand wasn't open, boo but it turns out they wouldn't have had what I wanted anyway. I wanted a chocolate dipped cone but they don't do dipped cones anymore. But we did meet Cruz, she pulled up as we were walking away and no one was in line yet.
IMG_8977.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday August 20, 2019
We ended up on the Pier and had a treat at the Abominable Adorable Snowman. I got the lemon "ice cream", I wanted the lemon-blue raspberry swirl but that was HUGE! and there was no way I should be eating that much sugar and B doesn't like either of those flavors. He got a chocolate ice cream I think.
IMG_9636.JPG

The we ran into Mr. Incredible.
IMG_3819.JPG

IMG_8991.JPG

After a couple rounds on Toy Story Mania we finished walking the Pier and saw a new roastie toastie, Duke Kaboom from Toy Story 4.
IMG_9640.JPG

IMG_9639.JPG

IMG_9645.JPG

No Lion Kind show for us this trip but the banner was nice.
IMG_3815.JPG

And then we went to the Grand Californian to eat at the new Craftsman lounge.
IMG_3816.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday August 20, 2019

Lunch at the Craftsman lounge was great, we really enjoyed our food. It was relaxing to be by the pool, it's a nice addition to the GC. The wings were good but the pizza was my favorite. I had a mojito and B had a banana daiquiri.
IMG_9649.JPG

IMG_9651.JPG

IMG_9654.JPG

IMG_9656.JPG

IMG_9657.JPG

IMG_9658.JPG

IMG_9659.JPG

After lunch we headed back to DCA for a quick ride on Soarin' and a quick shop for pins before heading back to the Candy Cane for our afternoon nap.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday August 20, 2019

After our nap we headed back to DCA and went to Guardians, Philharmagic, and I think Soarin' again. I was trying to ride Soarin' as much as possible because it was the good version, the original Soarin' over California.

We also met up with Daisy.
IMG_9010.JPG

IMG_9667.JPG

Here's a look at some construction for the Spiderman attraction.
IMG_8994.JPG

Dinner tonight was at the Carthay Circle Lounge.
IMG_8998.JPG

Brad got the rum flight
IMG_8999.JPG

Beer for me.
IMG_9002.JPG

IMG_9003.JPG
IMG_9004.JPG

We shared the queso fundido, waygu sliders, and some duck empanadas.
IMG_9005.JPG

With the beautiful fresh flowers.
IMG_9008.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday August 20, 2019

A quick look at the lounge menu.
IMG_9694.JPG

We missed the meet and greet but I was able to catch a quick shot of these guys dressed as Marvel characters.
IMG_9678.JPG

IMG_9684.JPG

We must have done some other stuff at DCA, maybe Soarin' again, because I ended up with this night shot of the Carthay.
IMG_9696.JPG

Then we headed over to Disneyland and bummed around. I ended up with my highest score ever on Buzz so I was fairly pumped, I even beat B this time.
IMG_9699.JPG

We took a spin on Autopia.
IMG_9011.JPG

IMG_9703.JPG

IMG_9705.JPG

And watched some fireworks by Space Mountain.
IMG_9012.JPG

IMG_9016.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday August 20, 2019

Back to fireworks at Disneyland. We hadn't planned to watch the fireworks in Tomorrowland but when we got off Space Mt they were going off so we stopped to watch. The music was nice and loud in that area.
IMG_3840.JPG

IMG_3841.JPG

IMG_3842.JPG

IMG_3844.JPG

IMG_3846.JPG

Eventually we found a bench in the hub area along the parade route for the Main Street Electrical parade.
IMG_3853.JPG

We also enjoyed a chocolate peanut butter sandwich before the parade.
IMG_3857.JPG

IMG_3858.JPG

dizfan917

Monday August 19, 2019

I'm pretty sure we went to the Jungle Cruise and Indy, but no pictures! We did check out the Halloween merch at the Frontierland store. And we did a grand circle tour of the train. I have Brad referring to the train as the MPB now @Tuvalu !
View attachment 410599

View attachment 410600

View attachment 410601

View attachment 410602

View attachment 410604

View attachment 410605

View attachment 410606

View attachment 410607

View attachment 410609

View attachment 410611

Why are the benches sideways on the train?!

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster
Tuesday August 20, 2019

We didn't wait too long for the parade, maybe about 15 minutes. It was the second show so it wasn't as crowded. I have mixed feelings about the Main Street Electrical parade, I like it but it is a little boring. I would have rather have watched the Paint the Night parade. But I did want to see it in full again, who knows when it really will glow away forever.

IMG_3864.JPG

IMG_3865.JPG

IMG_3867.JPG

IMG_3869.JPG

IMG_3872.JPG

IMG_3875.JPG

IMG_3878.JPG

IMG_3882.JPG

IMG_3883.JPG

IMG_3885.JPG

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Original Poster

Good question, my guess would be that it makes viewing the scenery easier and maybe controls more of what passengers see. Not all the trains have the sideways benches. At least one train (maybe two) has the seats front facing. I like the sideways ones better, because it makes viewing the scenery easier especially in the the Grand Canyon/Dinosaur diorama.

MinnieM123

Premium Member

I've never been to Disneyland, but just wanted to mention that in AK in WDW, the Wildlife Express Train also has sideways benches. I think they're kinda fun -- just a different way to ride on a train, versus facing forward. :)

ajrwdwgirl's response (below) was interesting -- that some of the train cars were forward facing seats and others were sideways.

Good question, my guess would be that it makes viewing the scenery easier and maybe controls more of what passengers see. Not all the trains have the sideways benches. At least one train (maybe two) has the seats front facing. I like the sideways ones better, because it makes viewing the scenery easier especially in the the Grand Canyon/Dinosaur diorama.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom