News Crane for Castle Christmas Lights in place

ImperfectPixie

Why not just project the lights with the lasers they use now for teh nightime shows? That seems like the easiest, least intrusive and the lease amount of maintenance. I may be missing something with having the laser projections on for that amount of time though. Not an expert on that sort of stuff.
Have you seen the home-versions of projected lights for Christmastime? They look freaking awful.

ToTBellHop

Have you seen the home-versions of projected lights for Christmastime? They look freaking awful.
Yes. We already have a projection show on Tower of Terror. With the demise of Lights of Winter (sorry horse skeleton) and Osborne (sorry half-decomposed horse), I’d like to keep the Dream Lights as...lights.

There’s something regal and classy about

ImperfectPixie

Yes. We already have a projection show on Tower of Terror. With the demise of Lights of Winter (sorry horse skeleton) and Osborne (sorry half-decomposed horse), I’d like to keep the Dream Lights as...lights.
I don't mind the projected animations...but to try and use projected lights to simulate actual light bulbs...it doesn't even come close and looks unbelievably tacky.

ZodIsGr8

There is quite a difference between a $20 projector and the tech that they are using at the parks. I am in favor of keeping the current lights, I was just offering that up as a potential replacement per the discussion that was going on at the time. Thank you for replying to my comment and furthering the discussion. I truly love this place and the dedication all of its members have on this forum.

ZodIsGr8

I think it would look terrible. They already over-rely on projectors. Sometimes Christmas lights are good enough.
Christmas lights will always be more than good enough and is my preference as well. I was just adding to the conversation about replacement possibilities. Thank you for your dedication to this site! Between you and Marni, I am able to stay ahead of most of the Disney news. Have a great rest of your day!

trainplane3

The only way to get to the top of the towers is by crane, so you need the crane regardless of what you think you could mount to those spires. I don't think you can really get at them from the inside to really mount anything permanently. Embedding Christmas lights would make it impossible to power wash, strip and paint. There would be a tremendous about of concrete to drill through and miles of romex to run.
Uh, false. They could easily choose to use this but it obviously got cut from the "too cool" budget. You could even have Mickey shoot them onto the castle and make a whole show out of it!
giphy.gif

Touchdown

Can’t we just rewrite the show to have Cinderella welcoming Elsa to her castle and Elsa giving her a “gift” for Christmas? I like Elsa doing it, love the projection portion but agree Cinderella should be part of it.

Also instead of Olaf, why not have Fairy Godmother and Elsa combining their power to ice the castle (have FGm yell Bibbdy Boppedy Boo right before the practical lights and fireworks start)

fngoofy

I look forward to reading your proposals when the crane returns in 2020. And 2021. And 2022. And 2023. And 2024...etc.

I'm not saying they will do this, just that they could come up with a better solution (than using a crane for 3wks) to something that is going to happen every year.

I think if they used a combination of LEDs and projection it would look just as good and would go up much faster.

Smiley/OCD

Well if they used fiber optics they wouldn't burn out... so there.
Fiber optics are A) not bright enough and B) you have to kook at them "dead on" to get the brightest light. permanent LED's should last about 10 years, but people will complain when lights are out.

Brad Bishop

The problem with embedding them into the castle is that, much like snow which the LEDs are trying to replicate, it is supposed to cover and hang off the castle (icicles).

I think that the crane is bad show and having the LED lights covering the castle during the Fall (Halloween) is also bad show, even though they're off. Yes, they look OK when lit up for the Christmas holidays but until that time they're in the way, as is the crane.

I much prefer the Disneyland treatment of their castle. The overall decorations look better than just covering everything with lights.

ag3_tre

all I care about is getting a fresh coat of paint on those turrets after these lights come down, they're looking PRETTY dry.

Sleeping Beauty Castle looks amazing in person after its refurbishment, and I can't help but think of how much more impressive our castle would look with some extensive TLC 🥺

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom