Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway - Disneyland

mharrington

Honestly all Toontown needs is just a land-wide refurbishment. Close the land for a month or two like they did with Critter Country in 2016 and fix everything. Repaint, make everything up to code with the interactive activities (I find it hard to believe places like McDonalds can have a PlayPlace but Disneyland can't have a singular slide). Fix Donald's Boat, Goofy's House and Chip n' Dales Treehouse, somehow make it a place people want to go in and see. Chip n' Dale's Treehouse is sad, honestly just demo it at this point. Make Donald's Boat into a splash pad, add the Tokyo interactive game into Goofy's House. It's not hard to fix up the land and revitalize it, they need to just put the effort & money into it. I think they should close Toontown 2 months before Runaway Railway opens, and then reopen the land with Runaway Railway completely refurbished.

How do you make Donald's Boat a splash pad? You would have to remove all the themed concrete surrounding the boat and maybe even replace the boat itself. And a retheme (not necessarily a rebuild, just a retheme) would be nice, too, of the Go Coaster to make it less dated. For all we know, these homages to the Disney Afternoon on the newer "DuckTales" may just be there for nostalgia's sake and may just last all of one episode (one episode each, anyway, depending on the show). I agree, though, that Chip 'n' Dale's Treehouse is so far gone that it should just be scrapped. Maybe it could be converted into a food space of some sort.

Also, I learned that Donald himself actually does do meet-n-greets over there. Mind you, I've never seen him over there myself. Maybe it's just because I haven't been over there in a long, long, LONG time, but I've never seen him do meet-n-greets there. Now, I have seen Goofy do meet-n-greets at his house, but that's because I have been there. He wasn't inside, just outside the door, but he was kind of there.

Disneylover152

How do you make Donald's Boat a splash pad? You would have to remove all the themed concrete surrounding the boat and maybe even replace the boat itself. And a retheme (not necessarily a rebuild, just a retheme) would be nice, too, of the Go Coaster to make it less dated. For all we know, these homages to the Disney Afternoon on the newer "DuckTales" may just be there for nostalgia's sake and may just last all of one episode (one episode each, anyway, depending on the show). I agree, though, that Chip 'n' Dale's Treehouse is so far gone that it should just be scrapped. Maybe it could be converted into a food space of some sort.

Also, I learned that Donald himself actually does do meet-n-greets over there. Mind you, I've never seen him over there myself. Maybe it's just because I haven't been over there in a long, long, LONG time, but I've never seen him do meet-n-greets there. Now, I have seen Goofy do meet-n-greets at his house, but that's because I have been there. He wasn't inside, just outside the door, but he was kind of there.

Donald's Boat in Florida was a splashpad only, not a boat to explore. I think they should combine the two in California. Mind you the splash pad wasn't good but it was fun enough for kids. I literally lived in Mickey's Toontown Fair when I was a kid in WDW my parent's have so many pictures they said I would spend hours there.

mharrington

Donald's Boat in Florida was a splashpad only, not a boat to explore. I think they should combine the two in California. Mind you the splash pad wasn't good but it was fun enough for kids. I literally lived in Mickey's Toontown Fair when I was a kid in WDW my parent's have so many pictures they said I would spend hours there.

In order for the splashpad to work in California, however, the boat would need to be totally scrapped and rebuilt, because the boat in Florida also has a "leaky" feature inside to get people a little bit wetter. Considering that the boat in California has an upper level for people to climb up to so as to get a decent view of the area from up there, how would they be able to get the "leaky" appearance here as well?

mharrington

I'm just trying to get past the idea of a splashpad in Floridian humidity!

Well, California doesn't have quite the humidity factor that Florida does. Is it possible to even replace the concrete and small ponds surrounding the boat without replacing the boat itself? Also, the difficulty of the splashpad is it would be difficult to climb the stairs, up or down, without slipping and falling.

Also, in terms of retheming the Go Coaster, I was thinking of giving it a Huey, Dewey and Louie theme of some sort, which would work well enough, given its proximity to Donald's Boat.

mharrington

Now, it may or may not be the most reliable source of news information out there, but W-D-W-N-T has just released an overall summary of all the things mentioned at D23, most of which I'm sure we're already familiar with:

The lion's share of the news is on stuff coming to Walt Disney World, but they do mention the other Disney parks and resorts as well. From 9:16 to 9:25, the video mentions that, as part of the arrival of Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway coming to Toontown, the whole land is going to get a total refresh. The video was vague on what exactly is going to happen or when the changes take place. All that is known there is that the Runaway Railway is coming in 2022, which, again, I'm sure we already know.

At 9:57, the video also mentions that sometime in the future, the Runaway Railway is also coming to Disneyland Paris (I guess it still is on the table), in Fantasyland. I have no idea how a ride like that can possibly fit in Fantasyland thematically; the video did not mention anything about a small Toontown-like area for it to go into.

TROR

The concept art for Railway shows a pretty consistent design for the exterior so any Toon Town refurb will likely be a complete closure with taking care of preexisting buildings rather than changing their look and adding trees throughout the small land.

Phroobar

Well, California doesn't have quite the humidity factor that Florida does. Is it possible to even replace the concrete and small ponds surrounding the boat without replacing the boat itself? Also, the difficulty of the splashpad is it would be difficult to climb the stairs, up or down, without slipping and falling.

Also, in terms of retheming the Go Coaster, I was thinking of giving it a Huey, Dewey and Louie theme of some sort, which would work well enough, given its proximity to Donald's Boat.
DCA used to have a few splash pads. Near the SS Rustworthy there were squirting clams and a whale picture on the ground that would shoot a fountain. Over in Bug's Land, the sprinkler hose had skipping water. Even Paradise Pier had a splash pad in the viewing area for World of Color.

457645_c_img.jpg

mharrington

DCA used to have a few splash pads. Near the SS Rustworthy there were squirting clams and a whale picture on the ground that would shoot a fountain. Over in Bug's Land, the sprinkler hose had skipping water. Even Paradise Pier had a splash pad in the viewing area for World of Color.

457645_c_img.jpg

Are they all made of concrete? Aren't some splash pads made of some foamy material, like what the space surrounding Donald's Boat at the old Toontown Fair was? I think even the area surrounding S.S. Rustworthy was foamy as well.

Phroobar

Are they all made of concrete? Aren't some splash pads made of some foamy material, like what the space surrounding Donald's Boat at the old Toontown Fair was? I think even the area surrounding S.S. Rustworthy was foamy as well.
The newer ones like Bugs land and Paradise Pier are concrete.

mharrington

From watching a video on Goofy's Playhouse here and then a video on Goofy's Paint 'n' Playhouse in Tokyo, I'm actually not sure, given the space for it, if the latter can fit physically fit in the former's space. Here's the video in question on the version in California (not just the attraction, but the queue as well):

And here is a video of the attraction in Tokyo (again, actually showing the queue, not just the attraction):

As you can see, I think Tokyo's looks relatively more spacious than Disneyland's version, and that's just from the exterior garden space. As with Donald's Boat, it would be quite difficult to work over there without impacting the area dramatically. Theoretically, we could relocated some of the play space over to Toon Park, to make room, but still, Goofy's house in Disneyland looks more compact than the house in Tokyo. I would love to know how they will refresh the whole land, because my guess it will include Donald and Goofy's respective residences in some way.

mharrington

This separate Toontown stuff should be in its own thread.

Right, and I did put up a thread about it. However, it got deleted because the rumors of it came from a certain Disney park site that this site wants nothing to do with for... reasons.

Anyway, since it's mostly armchair Imagineering anyway, stuff like this should really go in the Imagineering section.

Californian Elitist

Right, and I did put up a thread about it. However, it got deleted because the rumors of it came from a certain Disney park site that this site wants nothing to do with for... reasons.

Anyway, since it's mostly armchair Imagineering anyway, stuff like this should really go in the Imagineering section.

Maybe try creating a thread in this forum instead? I would imagine it getting more attention in this forum.

mharrington

Maybe try creating a thread in this forum instead? I would imagine it getting more attention in this forum.

The Imagineering forum is where armchair Imagineering should go, not here. Also, I did try to put up a thread here, but it got erased pretty quickly when I brought up news about Toontown from a certain WDW website that apparently this site doesn't like that much, because that site apparently got in trouble with the rumors it started.

Californian Elitist

The Imagineering forum is where armchair Imagineering should go, not here. Also, I did try to put up a thread here, but it got erased pretty quickly when I brought up news about Toontown from a certain WDW website that apparently this site doesn't like that much, because that site apparently got in trouble with the rumors it started.

We come up with ideas for the parks here, too. If it belongs in Imagineering, why do you keep responding with ideas for Toontown in this thread, where it doesn’t belong?

But if you’re not interested in our input, by all means, don’t create a thread here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom