Entertainment cuts

raven

With all the talk of PR management, are you just trying to point out Disney made an in kind donation to a good cause in order to redirect the conversation. šŸ¤”
Iā€™m saying that Disney has a pattern of making cuts, cutbacks or sudden price adjustment after making large charitable donations. Iā€™m not saying itā€™s definitely a result of them but you canā€™t deny there is a pattern of it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
How many entertainment acts actually last? It seems like a very small percentage.

I mean, people can't even name most of these acts because they are smaller things that fill out the parks and rarely what people seek out directly. For as long as I can remember, especially on the west coast (which has more of it in general) cycle through performer acts like we go through socks.

While not every act is 'replaced' per say, new acts do keep coming out every year. People scream 'budget cuts'... I see the same pattern over and over and over...

TrojanUSC

This is such a bullocks excuse and you know it. The Magic Kingdom ran a nighttime parade and fireworks NIGHTLY for years; they even ran the parades alongside two fireworks shows on NYE....the busiest night of the year. And you're telling me that suddenly the Magic Kingdom is suddenly now no longer able to run a parade because of the crowds? Give me a break.

Yes, they did but they didn't essentially run a projection show simultaneously with the fireworks which is what HEA is. The hub is a congested mess now during the fireworks, with people sitting on the ground for an hour or more beforehand.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
pfft... this entertainment culling has become the norm well before GE. Remember when everyone was freaking out about the music performers in EPCOT getting axed? The other WS entertainment? DL and DCA go through this CONSTANTLY.

It's some sort of mindset in live entertainment for P&R... they don't seem to want any show to become too long running, even if they are doing well.
If ā€œGEā€ is ā€œfailingā€ (it should with that name šŸ˜‰)

Itā€™s because theyā€™ve mishandled the franchise and Disney has priced the place out - for now.

Are we to defend that? No. Thatā€™s what should be happening. Iā€™m not gonna ā€œask for moreā€ from Disney because they slap Mickey Mouse on everything...

TrainsOfDisney

How many entertainment acts actually last? It seems like a very small percentage

What do you mean by last? Piano players at Main Street and rose and crown, Main Street band, dapper dans, jammitors, voices of Liberty, citizens of Main Street, citizens of Hollywood, several boardwalk buskers, yeehaw Bob, theyā€™ve been around for decades as had banjo brothers, off kilter, mulch, etc.

flynnibus

Premium Member
What do you mean by last? Piano players at Main Street and rose and crown, Main Street band, dapper dans, jammitors, voices of Liberty, citizens of Main Street, citizens of Hollywood, several boardwalk buskers, yeehaw Bob, theyā€™ve been around for decades as had banjo brothers, off kilter, mulch, etc.

Yes... your naming a handful when there are practically that many new acts very year. My point is most acts have a very finite lifespan... very very few stay around. And even the ones that do..l are not immune from radical reboots.. like what happened to dapper dans and changes to voices of liberty

MrPromey

Dude, stop lying. The hub has always been a congested mess before fireworks. HEA didn't suddenly bring this problem into existence like a bolt out of the blue

I'd say there's some truth in both his and your statements. The hub was always a congested mess, yes, but it's far worse than ever today and that's even after the expansion that was allegedly to fix it - including the extra area for guest travel and those nice new lawn areas for viewing that were supposed to improve things before Disney changed their mind and decided to monetize them.

The last show put more emphasis on the hub with the rooftop fireworks but it was still enjoyable from just about all over. The current show is such that you're now missing out on major elements unless directly in front and the colossal mess that occurs each night in the hub and nearly all the way down Main Street pretty much confirms it - even on these recent slow days.

I think they'd pretty well adressed the previous issue with the work they did on the hub only to turn around and swallow it all right back up (and then some) with the new show and the annexing of space for desert party viewing.

TrainsOfDisney

Yes... your naming a handful when there are practically that many new acts very year. My point is most acts have a very finite lifespan... very very few stay around. And even the ones that do..l are not immune from radical reboots.. like what happened to dapper dans and changes to voices of liberty

Please name the new acts from this year that you speak of.... are you talking about the seasonal dance party at dhs?

And what changes to dapper dans and voices? They are virtually the same as always.

note2001

No need to get angry at each other. The true Disney villains reside in cushy offices out in Burbank and drive expensive cars. Chances are they never stop to enjoy the entertainment anyway, so no loss to them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Please name the new acts from this year that you speak of.... are you talking about the seasonal dance party at dhs?

And what changes to dapper dans and voices? They are virtually the same as always.

You missed when the veteran cast was all forced to reaudition for their job and it went from mostly all old white guys to mixed young guys?

I donā€™t even know if anyone explicitly tracks all the entertainment options coming and going because they change so frequently. But itā€™s the internet, so maybe someone out there does.

Remember the fife and drum corps in Epcot? Or the acapella group at the showcase? This stuff cycles all the time.... and even more so in the last 6-7 years. And thatā€™s the point... they donā€™t seem to like having acts run so long anymore. Off kilter, etc... all cut down while still popular.

It seems to be more about entertainment management- not just p&r lead

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
While not every act is 'replaced' per say, new acts do keep coming out every year. People scream 'budget cuts'... I see the same pattern over and over and over..

I remember a time I'd spend at least an hour per EPCOT visit on the entertainment around WS. Now, other than the holidays (with Father Christmas and the story tellers), I make the trip from the UK to Mexico and back - stopping mainly for food, drink, and some shopping.

No problem with cycling through things. And change can be good. But lately - change hasn't improved much.

TrainsOfDisney

You missed when the veteran cast was all forced to reaudition for their job and it went from mostly all old white guys to mixed young guys?

Thatā€™s not changing the show.... itā€™s making sure the cast is appropriately cast.

Remember the fife and drum corps in Epcot? Or the acapella group at the showcase?

Yes... they had run since opening day at Epcot.

Oh yeah add the wonderful band in Mexico to my list... they are an opening day act as well.

Youā€™re the one who made the claim that new entertainment has been added... what has been added?

And sorry Iā€™m not trying to argue with you.... I just am not following the claims your making.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Dude, stop lying. The hub has always been a congested mess before fireworks. HEA didn't suddenly bring this problem into existence like a bolt out of the blue
People didnā€™t use to sit for 2 hours waiting for fireworks...thatā€™s the difference

Why? Well one reason is the lack of new atttactions for 25 years to increase the enjoyment of the entire part.

Another is 60 day advance passes for small world and Pooh that make the lines completely unpalatable

TrojanUSC

People didnā€™t use to sit for 2 hours waiting for fireworks...thatā€™s the difference

Why? Well one reason is the lack of new atttactions for 25 years to increase the enjoyment of the entire part.

Another is 60 day advance passes for small world and Pooh that make the lines completely unpalatable

Exactly. Combine that with a show that essentially requires the viewer to be in front of the castle and itā€™s a recipe for a mess.

TrojanUSC

I still do not believe you. Give me evidence that people didnt camp out for fireworks and I'll concede. But otherwise you and trojan are just blindly justifying this highly obvious budget cut.

Genuine question did you work there in the 90s/early aughts and deal with guest flow issues on a regular basis? Then be present as the change occurred. If not, please donā€™t speculate.

The hub has always been a mess but previously with Fantasy In the Sky and Wishes, guests often would enjoy the view from all over the park. Yes, many camped out in front of the castle, but it wasnā€™t as many and it wasnā€™t the ā€œletā€™s camp out for hoursā€ type of scenario you see now. The fact the show is half projection based had made it so.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom