Rumor Is the End of Innoventions Near?

tparris

I just hope the demo happens rather quickly. I don’t want to see the slow destruction of the building like we saw with Horizons. I just want them to get it over with.

michmousefan

Very sad to see the Fountain of Nations go.
That fountain had a important role to play in EPCOT Center's opening.

Who here remembers the ceremony of representatives from many countries bringing a small decorative container filled with different waters collected from famous bodies of water from around the world?
And at the right moment, all of the representatives pore the waters into the fountain together, representing world unity?

Goodbye, old friend.
I understand & appreciate the symbolism of "different waters from all around the world" combining together into the fountain (that sentiment needed now more than ever), but remember that there are molecules of water from all of the world's bodies of water right there in that cup of water on your desk right now...

Wouldn't surprise me if when the Moana Water Journey is opened they resurrect that same dedication scheme.

gustaftp

To many, the old Communicore buildings are pretty boring, bland and meh...Me included...
I'm not necessarily in disagreement with that. But they were purposefully understated
The destruction of an old, sacred, church is a little more tragic than the demolition of an ugly building in *deep breath* a THEME PARK.
The point still stands -- you are discounting people's deeply held connections to the place, refusing to acknowledge the important role the place held, and then call the building ugly. It is not an ugly building. It is a sleek building with an ugly paint job.

Ask yourself seriously: why do people care so deeply about Communicore and EPCOT? Could it be that Communicore and EPCOT have inspired a lot of people and is more than just *deep breath* a THEME PARK?

Bender123

Many of us were inspired by what it was before it was Starbucks, Character Spot, and Club Cool...

Mostly vacant 1980s monochrome computer monitors? I truly understand why people don't like the demolition of one of them, but I just don't understand the love for these buildings based solely on attractions that haven't been in existence for over 25 years. SMRT-1 Isnt coming back, neither is the information fountain, Univac Computer Review or EPCOT person of the century.

Rich Brownn

Mostly vacant 1980s monochrome computer monitors? I truly understand why people don't like the demolition of one of them, but I just don't understand the love for these buildings based solely on attractions that haven't been in existence for over 25 years. SMRT-1 Isnt coming back, neither is the information fountain, Univac Computer Review or EPCOT person of the century.
Because it was an example of top npotch Imagineering. Every replacement has been a backwards step for the most part. Instead of figuring out how to update it, they decided to replace it with meet and greets, shops, and a Starbucks. EPCOT inspired a lot of people - but apparently not Imagineers... :(

Bender123

Because it was an example of top npotch Imagineering. Every replacement has been a backwards step for the most part. Instead of figuring out how to update it, they decided to replace it with meet and greets, shops, and a Starbucks. EPCOT inspired a lot of people - but apparently not Imagineers... :(

Soooo...why is this attached to the buildings? You really missed the point of them being somewhat underwhelming compared to their brothers in FW and the current attractions are garbage. What else are you going to do with them? They aren't attraction buildings, they were purpose built for displays, stores and exhibits.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I am curious to see what will be done by the time I get there in January. Hopefully the demolition will at least be done.

I would expect this demo to take a while since the area is completely surrounded by guest areas. The other interesting this is going to be getting heavy equipment under the monorail beam. you can see when the are was built that they left a section of the beam out to make it easier to get equipment in and out.

gustaftp

Soooo...why is this attached to the buildings? You really missed the point of them being somewhat underwhelming compared to their brothers in FW and the current attractions are garbage. What else are you going to do with them? They aren't attraction buildings, they were purpose built for displays, stores and exhibits.
Because the concept is completely abandoned, and the demolition is a nail in the coffin.

The Communicore area was brilliantly designed. While I am optimistic about the Life Cycle of Water and the new festival center design looks really cool, I'm not going to pretend that Communicore concepts aren't and weren't achievable today.

griffin ferrari

I would expect this demo to take a while since the area is completely surrounded by guest areas. The other interesting this is going to be getting heavy equipment under the monorail beam. you can see when the are was built that they left a section of the beam out to make it easier to get equipment in and out.
I hate to be cynical here by Any educated guesses when the frist visible signs of demo of the buildings will be?

Bender123

Because the concept is completely abandoned, and the demolition is a nail in the coffin.

Is it? The concept of an area with hands on attractions is not, but the business model certainly is. Considering the insane rate of change and the lack of sponsor interest, what exactly would you put in there that isn't already being shunted to WoL?

The initial exhibits were extensions of the pavilions to act as a central hub of the themes (sponsors). The updated version was Innoventions, which took the same concept, but opened it to self contained areas for smaller sponsors to showcase their products and story. What is left that would make that concept viable, outside basic Disney items? Disney seems to agree with you, but they went with what they have, which is interactive IP experiences.

It just seems like a concept/model that seemed better in a world before the internet and before Best Buy...

We may not like the "new" version of this type of experience, but it doesn't look like Sega is lining up to sponsor an exhibit anymore...

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Is it? The concept of an area with hands on attractions is not, but the business model certainly is. Considering the insane rate of change and the lack of sponsor interest, what exactly would you put in there that isn't already being shunted to WoL?

The initial exhibits were extensions of the pavilions to act as a central hub of the themes (sponsors). The updated version was Innoventions, which took the same concept, but opened it to self contained areas for smaller sponsors to showcase their products and story. What is left that would make that concept viable, outside basic Disney items? Disney seems to agree with you, but they went with what they have, which is interactive IP experiences.

It just seems like a concept/model that seemed better in a world before the internet and before Best Buy...

We may not like the "new" version of this type of experience, but it doesn't look like Sega is lining up to sponsor an exhibit anymore...

Yeah Sega to show off their latest console............oh wait

nickys

Premium Member

I would agree, except for the bolded part.

I’m sure the Imagineers have plenty of inspiration, but the money men either don’t see the benefit of their ideas or don’t want to cough up the money for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom