News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

beertiki

There will be more than a few people who will get over their phobias after most of their group rides the gondola, and they with one sympathetic other person head over to wait for a bus. The gondola group will be in the park half an hour before the bus rider. Coming back at night will we worse. Then, the gondolaphobic will decide that they will "try" the gondola. Standing for 20 minutes waiting for a bus in th3 heat with sore feet will be a great motivator.

halltd

One more thing - Passport to the Parks now has video/audio of on-board announcements being made as the cabins begin to traverse Hourglass Lake! It's so exciting to see everything coming together!!! Audio can be heard at about 1:56

Is it just me or do they sound horribly noisy as they go over each tower? Was it just because he was trying to capture the onboard audio?

Heppenheimer

Is it just me or do they sound horribly noisy as they go over each tower? Was it just because he was trying to capture the onboard audio?
If they're anything like ski gondolas, the noise isn't that loud. Noticable, especially if you pay attention, but not disruptive to the general atmosphere.

joelkfla

He's standing under a depression tower, where the rope runs under the sheaves, because it's a transition from low level flight over Hourglass Lake to an incline towards CBR. Depression towers are much noisier, as the sheaves are pushed upward by the top of the grip and then spring back into place. There's almost no noticeable noise when the grips move over the sheaves on regular towers.

At about 1:50, the tower on the left is a regular tower and the one on the right is the depression tower. You can clearly hear that the noise is only when the cabins pass the tower on the right.

Last edited:

begood524

He's standing under a depression tower, where the rope runs under the sheaves, because it's a transition from low level flight over Hourglass Lake to an incline towards CBR. Depression towers are much noisier, as the sheaves are pushed upward by the top of the grip and then spring back into place. There's almost no noticeable noise when the grips move over the sheaves on regular towers.
I've seen videos of similar systems like the Mi Teleferico in Bolivia and whenever the gondola crosses a tower it sounds/looks like the entire cabin rumbles a bit. Should we expect the same here?

Monorail_Orange

I've seen videos of similar systems like the Mi Teleferico in Bolivia and whenever the gondola crosses a tower it sounds/looks like the entire cabin rumbles a bit. Should we expect the same here?
My only experience with a gondola was the old MK Skyway, and I recall the gondolas "rumbling" a bit over the towers, just like you describe. I would imagine this would be similar to less with the enclosed cabs as opposed to the open-air style.

Thinking a bit more, I did ride the "ski lift" one time at BB...I don't recall them rumbling much over the towers, FWIW.

Mainahman

Loved seeing them out and about this past few days. Can't wait to be back in July and utilize them a time or 2.
IMG_20190907_204309.jpg
MVIMG_20190907_204457.jpg
IMG_20190907_204539.jpg

Unbanshee

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom