News New Gondola Transportation - Disney Skyliner -

begood524

A LOT of fluff, but from about 10:00 onward there's lots of great up-to-date footage of the system at the turn station, HS, and Pop - plus it looks like they finally painted the big gate at Pop too (right around 12 min)

MiddKid

They can't completely remove it - for those who are uncomfortable riding the skyliner. Those fears are real and overwhelming for some, and I don't see Disney disregarding that. Cut back? Sure...but not remove completely.

Welcome to the Beach Club Resort! If you'd like to get to Disney's Hollywood Studios you have a few options:
  • Take a Friendship Boat...unless you're afraid of the water
  • Take the Skyliner...unless you're afraid of heights
  • Take a bus...unless you were previously in a bus accident and now have a fear of riding without a seatbelt
  • Take a Minnie Van...unless you have an aversion to polka dots
  • Walk...unless you have Herpetophobia
Yes, I'm taking this to the ridiculous extreme (especially since BC doesn't offer bus service) but catering to a small group of people's irrational fears is not reasonable. Extreme examples of that are handled on a one-off basis (Minnie Vans, personal vehicle), not continuing to offer a mass transit solution. Cities don't build gondola public transportation systems only to offer city bus service along the same route.

Incomudro

I don’t think anyone was thinking the buses would be discontinued on opening day of the skyliner. The fact that they will be available when the skyliner opens doesn’t change the fact that the skyliner was proposed designed and approved with the intent to remove bus service. Ultimately I still fully expect that to happen.

Some people absolutely swore the buses would be gone.

Incomudro

It isn't Disney's responsibility to cater to people who are irrationally afraid of the Skyliner. Don't like it? Don't stay at those resorts. If they simply must stay there they can fork out the money for a Minnie Van or other ride share service.

It may not be their responsibility, but it is likely in their financial best interest to not lose potential guests who won't ride the gondola's.

Disone

They can't completely remove it - for those who are uncomfortable riding the skyliner. Those fears are real and overwhelming for some, and I don't see Disney disregarding that. Cut back? Sure...but not remove completely.
I know people who have a fear of water and will not go on boats. But yet there are Resorts that only have boat transportation to certain destinations. I think it's really best that you wait and see what they do before doubling down on saying what they will or will not do. I agree that just because the buses are running on opening day does not mean the buses are going to be running a year from now. Time will tell.

peter11435

They absolutely can completely remove it. They ultimately may change their minds but that is their eventual intent.

peter11435

Some people absolutely swore the buses would be gone.
Yes. I am one of them. The plan is still that the buses will be gone. Just not until the system is up and running smoothly.

Again. The skyliner would never have been built if they knew when it was approved that buses would still be needed. The plan was and still is to eliminate bus service on those routes. Not immediately. But in time.

Obobru

It's amazing how the "no buses" crowd are trying to save face by backtracking and changing what they said, semantics doesn't change the fact loads of people said it was the end of buses not the reduction in them. Everyone here loves to think they know exactly what's going on but all but a couple know as much as the rest of us they just want to feel special.

peter11435

It's amazing how the "no buses" crowd are trying to save face by backtracking and changing what they said, semantics doesn't change the fact loads of people said it was the end of buses not the reduction in them. Everyone here loves to think they know exactly what's going on but all but a couple know as much as the rest of us they just want to feel special.
Who is backtracking?

The skyliner is still intended to be the end of buses on those routes.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Original Poster

Elimination of buses was mentioned early on by people who have proven over and over that they have access to inside information. I see no reason to doubt that elimination of buses was at least planned at one point, and may still happen. The Skyliner will more then double the transportation capacity on those routes. Do you really think Disney will not modify the bus transportation when half or more of it's capacity is not being used?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom