Avengers Campus - Reactions / Reviews

BubbaQuest

Here's a funny story..

Someone I worked with a few years ago was a huge Marvel fan, and was super excited for the changes coming to DCA. But here's the thing.. He hasn't been to Disneyland in over 10 years. I was going almost twice - three times a year a couple of years ago. Once the dust settled, he calmed down about the idea and never spoke about going to DL thereafter. I'm not even sure he went to see these changes in favor of Marvel.

So who exactly are the suits targeting? The average Disney park goer, or comic book / movie fans who don't go to the parks?

I was just thinking about this the other day. Most people I know that go to Comic Con and DLR are already AP-holders. Others I know have no desire to go to DL.

So, what is the Venn diagram of Marvel fans that may decide to go to Disneyland but don't already?
Will Super Hero Land or Star Wars Land entice Comic Con fans to go to Disneyland? Or do they still want to go somewhere a little more extreme (and a little less family-friendly)?

RobWDW1971

I was just thinking about this the other day. Most people I know that go to Comic Con and DLR are already AP-holders. Others I know have no desire to go to DL.

So, what is the Venn diagram of Marvel fans that may decide to go to Disneyland but don't already?
Will Super Hero Land or Star Wars Land entice Comic Con fans to go to Disneyland? Or do they still want to go somewhere a little more extreme (and a little less family-friendly)?

I think it is all about the experience and actual product. There wasn't a huge built up demand for Song of the South based rides in the 80's. They built an amazing attraction, people loved it, and still love it today.

The tepid response to SWGE is because what they actually built lacks fun, whimsy, and entertainment. Star Tours had all of that and continues to be a huge hit.

We sometimes overthink this.

Phroobar

I think it is all about the experience and actual product. There wasn't a huge built up demand for Song of the South based rides in the 80's. They built an amazing attraction, people loved it, and still love it today.

The tepid response to SWGE is because what they actually built lacks fun, whimsy, and entertainment. Star Tours had all of that and continues to be a huge hit.

The only whimsy they added to SWGE was DJ Rex. There needs to be some fun stuff happening. The droid repair room and sector security at Star Tours is a prime example of it done right.

I'm sure the Avengers Campus will have no whimsy at all. They don't get the sense of humor these super heros have.

DanielBB8

Tom Sawyer Island was counter intuitive?
Liberty Square was counter intuitive?
etc etc

People should focus on what is actually working or not... not try to come up with 'rules' based on copying ideas instead of rules based on fundamentals.
Tom Sawyer Island has it's name on it and it was based on the story. I never had an issue. Same with Liberty Square, which was to honor our country's origin and our Presidents. Star Wars Land doesn't honor our Star Wars heroes and villains. They are no where to be seen.

BubbaQuest

Agree and disagree :)

Splash Mountain is a great family-friendly ride added to a great family-friendly park. Great ride for a great park. My point is slapping Black Window's face on Brer Rabbit's body doesn't suddenly make Splash Mountain a great Marvel IP attraction or suddenly make DL a great adult-friendly Marvel park. I don't think a "flume ride" is what 13+ year old boys are looking for when talking about Super Heros (or Space heroes).

flynnibus

Premium Member

As long as millions of 8-12yr old boys want to go... I doubt Disney cares as much about adult-boys who goto ComicCon

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Wasn't Disneyland built to appease both Adults and Children? If they're just targeting children.. I mean, kids can't pay for Disney like moms and dads can.

RobWDW1971

Agree and disagree :)

Splash Mountain is a great family-friendly ride added to a great family-friendly park. Great ride for a great park. My point is slapping Black Window's face on Brer Rabbit's body doesn't suddenly make Splash Mountain a great Marvel IP attraction or suddenly make DL a great adult-friendly Marvel park. I don't think a "flume ride" is what 13+ year old boys are looking for when talking about Super Heros (or Space heroes).

Nor was I saying it was - my point is make a great attraction like IOA's Spiderman or IOA's Harry Potter ride and fans will come and love it. Make an uninspired, tired shooting ride in a warehouse industrial park and people will not be interested. The reaction will be because of the actual attraction quality and not any IP demos or state of the brand.

That is why all of the energy and discussion about SWGE being negatively impacted by TLJ to me is a waste. It's what they built that is the problem.

planodisney

Wasn't Disneyland built to appease both Adults and Children? If they're just targeting children.. I mean, kids can't pay for Disney like moms and dads can.
I think the key is that moms and dads WILL take kids who really want to go. And they will have a blast as well. I think his point was that they aren’t going to cater to the”super nerd fan.” There aren’t enough of those, no matter what the IP, to make something successful.
I know my 10 year old can’t wait for Avengers and Nintendo lands. We will plan a huge family vacation to LA when we find out the first summer Nintendoland and Avengers are completed. I don’t overthink it too much, I’ve got private school for 2 kids to pay for, mortgage, work stress and so on. I’m even looking forward to the Spider-Man ride and can’t wait for the Avengers e-ticket. I guess I’m weird, or.......

Mike S

I think the key is that moms and dads WILL take kids who really want to go. And they will have a blast as well. I think his point was that they aren’t going to cater to the”super nerd fan.” There aren’t enough of those, no matter what the IP, to make something successful.
I know my 10 year old can’t wait for Avengers and Nintendo lands. We will plan a huge family vacation to LA when we find out the first summer Nintendoland and Avengers are completed. I don’t overthink it too much, I’ve got private school for 2 kids to pay for, mortgage, work stress and so on. I’m even looking forward to the Spider-Man ride and can’t wait for the Avengers e-ticket. I guess I’m weird, or.......
“There aren’t enough super nerd fans”

Yeah, say that to the line Harry Potter had on day 1.
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2010/06/54408252.jpg

planodisney

Nor was I saying it was - my point is make a great attraction like IOA's Spiderman or IOA's Harry Potter ride and fans will come and love it. Make an uninspired, tired shooting ride in a warehouse industrial park and people will not be interested. The reaction will be because of the actual attraction quality and not any IP demos or state of the brand.

That is why all of the energy and discussion about SWGE being negatively impacted by TLJ to me is a waste. It's what they built that is the problem.
You guys have heard of ROTR right?
Let me give you a basketball analogy.
Here is a basketball team with a superstar player but he isn’t a true number 1. The team struggles to even make the playoffs and everyone rips the superstar because he isn’t any good. They real problem isn’t that this player sucks, it’s that he isn’t in his best role, as a great number 2 to a true number 1. He’s a Robin having to play the role of Batman. Then all of a sudden the team gets a true number 1 and they start competing for championships. Suddenly the guy who can assume his true number 2 role is seen as great for what he is.
The number one, and possibly the best player in the game, is on its way for Galaxy’s Edge. If you can’t understand what a MASSIVE difference that will make for GE in terms of atmosphere, things to do, scope because of the scale and size of this attraction, then I’m sorry but your just being obtuse. The argument isn’t perfection. What land is perfect? But, more people will be stirring around that area of the park. I’m sure characters will be roaming that area more. People will be coming out of that ride excited. Wowed in fact if it’s what we all think it will be. Then, all of a sudden, everything else gets moved to its proper position. MF as a quality second attraction and shopping and dining become just that, shopping and dining, instead of having to stand in as attractions until ROTR opens.

Last edited:

planodisney

“There aren’t enough super nerd fans”

Yeah, say that to the line Harry Potter had on day 1.
http://www./wp-content/uploads/2010/06/54408252.jpg
So none of those are just fans? Fans of great theme park lands and fans of Harry Potter? Of course there are. They opened a land with a state of the art new attraction, a repurposed dual coaster and a family coaster. Do you think the reception might have been different if they announced the main attraction won’t be open for another few months. Of course it would have been.
Do I need to go search the Pandora pictures from opening? We’re those all Pandora nerds? Of course not.

I can post the 4am pictures at GE in Orlando that are just as impressive as those pictures of HP.

RobWDW1971

You guys have heard of ROTR right?
Let me give you a basketball analogy.
Here is a basketball team with a superstar player but he isn’t a true number 1. The team struggles to even make the playoffs and every rips the superstar because he isn’t any good. They real problem isn’t that this player sucks, it’s that he isn’t in his best role, as a great number 2 to a true number 1. He’s a Robin having to play the role of Batman. Then all of a sudden the team gets a true number 1 and they start competing for championships. Suddenly the guy who can assume his true number 2 role is seen as great for what he is.
The number one, and possibly the best player in the game, is on its way for Galaxy’s Edge. If you can’t understand what a MASDIVE difference that will make for GE in terms of atmosphere, things to do, scope because of the scale and size of this attraction, then I’m sorry but your just being obtuse. The argument isn’t perfection. What land is perfect? But, more people will be stirring around that area of the park. I’m sure characters will be roaming that area more. People will be coming out of that ride excited. Wowed in fact if it’s what we all think it will be. Then, all of a sudden, everything else gets moved to its proper position. MF as a quality second attraction and shopping and dining become just that, shopping and dining, instead of having to stand in as attractions until ROTR opens.

Awesome. So when ROTR opens the land will instantly be filled with aliens, moving droids, Jedi, bounty hunters, and our favorite Star Wars characters vs being an abandoned, depressing movie set with merch employees muttering something about bright suns.

Wow, can't wait for January!

Mike S

So none of those are just fans? Fans of great theme park lands and fans of Harry Potter? Of course there are. They opened a land with a state of the art new attraction, a repurposed dual coaster and a family coaster. Do you think the reception might have been different if they announced the main attraction won’t be open for another few months. Of course it would have been.
Do I need to go search the Pandora pictures from opening? We’re those all Pandora nerds? Of course not.

I can post the 4am pictures at GE in Orlando that are just as impressive as those pictures of HP.
Why are you talking Star Wars? There was no mention of that in the post I quoted. You talked about Marvel and it’s lackluster Spider-Man ride that’s coming.

planodisney

Awesome. So when ROTR opens the land will instantly be filled with aliens, moving droids, Jedi, bounty hunters, and our favorite Star Wars characters vs being an abandoned, depressing movie set with merch employees muttering something about bright suns.

Wow, can't wait for January!
I get your point and it has some validity. However you are way overplaying that, IMHO. I’ve never been to a land, Pandora, Harry Potter or any other that have as much going on in the streets as you are demanding of GE for it to be considered worthy. Some of those things have to exist within the rides themselves. Right now they don’t because of ROTR not being open yet. Part of the movie set feel is because half the land is devoid of an attraction and thereby has far less traffic.
I think they will add more streetmosphere as time goes on but that’s an easy fix. The much bigger issue is the land has no real weenie yet. It will in a few months.
You seriously don’t think that will make a huge difference? Are you serious?
I’m not saying that one thing will fix all the problems but no land in theme park history doesn’t have ways it could be better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom