News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

DDLand

What's wrong with the Polynesian roof? In what way is the Grand Floridian DVC an embarrassment? I've only visited that one, but I hear almost universally rave reviews from members. We stayed at the Polynesian a couple times and it wasn't bad, much less humiliatingly bad. What did I miss?

I appreciated your comments on the park and arrival experience, but you kind of lost me here.
Certainly.

I wish I had photos- I certainly could document this. But my descriptions will have to suffice. My specific criticism of the Polynesian’s roof (or more accurately roofs) come from poor care. They’re supposed to be an Earthy red color. Right now if you ride by on a monorail you’ll see massive dark stains all over the roof(s) from collected dirt and grime. A power spraying and maybe a paint job in a few areas would have it looking like brand new in no time. This was how it was in January and more recently in August. It’s noticeable and unpleasant. Remember, it’s one thing to have a nasty roof when you’re on the ground. It’s another entirely when you’re zooming by on a monorail. Problems like that exist across the entire Monorail line. Whether it’s the cobwebs in the Contemporary (seriously), the peeling paint at the Grand Floridian, or the dumpsters by the Poly, the monorail views are anything but magical.

The Polynesian, which I love, has other problems. In this most recent round of upgrades they didn’t bother to add basic amenities (like a gym) that a Courtyard Marriott has for 500 less per night. Arguably a more substantive rebuild is needed. But that’s for another time...

I’m sure the DVC Grand Floridian is a great hotel. I’ve never actually stayed there, but my criticism has nothing to do with the actual hotel component. My ire is directed towards its boxy and out of character design from the exterior. It sticks out like a sore thumb next to the more carefully crafted sister resort. It’s not a seaside Victorian hotel, it’s a modern hotel with Victorian decorations. It’s the bad sequel to the original.

The more I think about it, the more amazed I am that Disney lets (literally) millions of guests experience this. It actually takes hutzpah...

Edit: I’ll eat my words. Is the Poly a copper roof and that’s just natural weathering?
Edit 2: Nah, I think it’s just grime.
Edit 3: That’s what I get for writing near midnight...:banghead:

Last edited:

rowrbazzle

Certainly.

I wish I had photos- I certainly could document this. But my descriptions will have to suffice. My specific criticism of the Polynesian’s roof (or more accurately roofs) come from poor care. They’re supposed to be an Earthy red color. Right now if you ride by on a monorail you’ll see massive dark stains all over the roof(s) from collected dirt and grime. A power spraying and maybe a paint job in a few areas would have it looking like brand new in no time. This was how it was in January and more recently in August. It’s noticeable and unpleasant. Remember, it’s one thing to have a nasty roof when you’re on the ground. It’s another entirely when you’re zooming by on a monorail. Problems like that exist across the entire Monorail line. Whether it’s the cobwebs in the Contemporary (seriously), the peeling paint at the Grand Floridian, or the dumpsters by the Poly, the monorail views are anything but magical.

The Polynesian, which I love, has other problems. In this most recent round of upgrades they didn’t bother to add basic amenities (like a gym) that a Courtyard Marriott has for 500 less per night. Arguably a more substantive rebuild is needed. But that’s for another time...

I’m sure the DVC Grand Floridian is a great hotel. I’ve never actually stayed there, but my criticism has nothing to do with the actual hotel component. My ire is directed towards its boxy and out of character design from the exterior. It sticks out like a sore thumb next to the more carefully crafted sister resort. It’s not a seaside Victorian hotel, it’s a modern hotel with Victorian decorations. It’s the bad sequel to the original.

The more I think about it, the more amazed I am that Disney lets (literally) millions of guests experience this. It actually takes hutzpah...

Edit: I’ll eat my words. Is the Poly a copper roof and that’s just natural weathering?
Edit 2: Nah, I think it’s just grime.
Edit 3: That’s what I get for writing near midnight...:banghead:

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't noticed the grime on the roof, but I believe you. I'll have to take a look next time we're there. Maybe they'll have it clean by then? Haha

I thought the Grand Floridian DVC building looked nice and fit in fine with the rest of the resort. I now recall seeing something on these boards about one side being flat on the end. I hadn't seen that criticism (or yours) among DVC members I interact with. I wasn't following when it was built, though so maybe that's why.

Thanks again for the reply.

brb1006

The Magic Kingdom arrival tells a story.

Why the TTC? Why not have a parking lot immediately adjacent?

Disney had done that before at Disneyland, and it had worked fine. But with Walt Disney World they wanted to do better.

You leave a sea of cement, and board a neat little parking lot tram that drops you off at an initial gateway. A gateway to the “Vacation Kingdom of the World.” This is the TTC.

While the TTC of today is a little, shall we say, in need of help, when it opened it actually was beautiful. Here you had a futuristic gateway that could take you to a “Magic Kingdom,” or to Polynesia, or to Italy, or Asia. Eventually the TTC would connect you to all the future projects Walt Disney World would build. It was a sleek arrival fitting for Walt Disney World.

This should change the way you think about 7 seas lagoon. The “show” didn’t start at park gates. No, it started all the way across the lake. But now, anxious to arrive at the Magic Kingdom, you have two options for arrival. Let’s take the boat. Initially you may only catch some glimpses of a castle in the distance . Just hints. Two strategically placed islands obscure your view of the Magic Kingdom. But finally your gazing is rewarded as your steamship goes around the bend and the Magic Kingdom is in full view.

It’s dazzling!

Before your eyes is a castle towering above you in the distance. Trees help frame the castle and make it seem even further away. Off in the distance the spires of Space Mountain beckon you. It’s incredible, but at the same time somewhat distant. It’s all what once right in front of you, but also apart.

You haven’t made it yet!

Once you arrive you have park gates and the train station. Even then you haven’t “made it.” But once you make it through the tunnels... It’s like you’re thrust into a whole new world. Gone is the wilderness and journey. You are completely immersed in a beautiful 1900s atmosphere and you can feel the excitement and optimism of the time.

But off in the distance, still calling to you, is the castle framed by trees. It looks distant and stately. You’ll want to linger on Main Street USA, but not too long... The Castle is calling!

Or what about the Monorail? The Monorail is almost like a world tour. With the selection of hotels like the Polynesian, Contemporary, and the other hotels slated to be built, you can travel the world from the comfort of an attractive and futuristic monorail system. Of course one of the prime destinations is the Magic Kingdom itself. Every thing you see on the Monorail is designed to dazzle you and make you feel immersed. It’s almost like an airplane traveling the world.

The monorail exposes the park much earlier. But what a view! The entire “Magic Kingdom” is in front of you. You can see fantasy, Frontier, Tomorrow, and Adventure. All the views are spectacular!

Then when you’re finished for the night, the castle fades away. Either into the distance or obscured by trees. Before you know it, you’re loading back into the car wondering whether it was all real. The trip to the Magic Kingdom was one of increasing fantasy, and the trip home is a return to normalcy.

These days the monorail, hotels, and park look pretty trashy IMO. Like humiliatingly bad. The Polynesian roof is travesty. The DVC component to Grand Floridian is an embarrassment. Oh, and don’t mind the crappy box we’re building. The aerial ramp they’ve built makes the arrival feel like a highway.

Disney has managed to wreck one of the finest narratives at their park with one poor decision at a time. Part of this is not looking at the experience holistically. Part is poor maintenance. Part is... do you think Chapek gets the narrative?

Poor poor Magic Kingdom. I know everyone likes to talk about how every other castle park is better. But had they expanded it, cared for it, and really loved it, it would be the best by a long shot. The Imagineering narrative they wove into that park was and is insane. It may be my nostalgia, but I’ve been to 5 out of the 6 castle parks. What might have been!

So let me summarize what Tron is (not the ride but the execution). It’s a slap in the face to the designers who painstakingly built the foundation of the world’s highest grossing theme park resort ever. The Magic Kingdom is arguably Disney’s most valuable asset. It’s the gift that powers the other parks, cruise line, DVC, hotels, etc. But they won’t invest a little extra to treat it with respect.

What a sad sad statement on Disney...
You forgot to mention that Walt Disney World used to have various Disney characters water skiing while entertaining guests on the ferry (such as Goofy or Pinocchio). This used to be very common between the 1970s through the 1990s. Even before guests were able to meet them, their first glimpse of them could had been this.

Pinocchio (1991)

Goofy (1997)

Last edited:

brb1006

Here's more photos of the characters water-skiing
mkp194885SMALL.jpg

PGS067643.jpg

This is the type of stuff that used to make Walt Disney World extra special and unique.

ToTBellHop

Here's more photos of the characters water-skiing
mkp194885SMALL.jpg

PGS067643.jpg

This is the type of stuff that used to make Walt Disney World extra special and unique.
It did...30 years ago. In 2019, it would look rather hokey. Walt Disney World was a luxury resort in the ‘80s and should be now, but what is luxurious by today’s standards is quite different.

Let’s start with WiFi that always works. High quality toiletries. Bring back warm hand towels in resort restrooms. Free soda in the parks with the mugs that should be included in a resort stay. Free pair of those glowing mouse ears for everyone. A busing system that works on a time table so guests can actually plan on when to arrive at the bus stop. Reservations at resort TSRs reserved for guests of that resort (feel free to release them to everyone else 24-hours out), but imagine checking in to, “Aloha, would you like to dine at ‘Ohana at some point during your 7-night stay? We can set that up for you now. Your Genie suggests you’re free Thursday night. How’s 6 pm?”

brb1006

It did...30 years ago. In 2019, it would look rather hokey. Walt Disney World was a luxury resort in the ‘80s and should be now, but what is luxurious by today’s standards is quite different.

Let’s start with WiFi that always works. High quality toiletries. Bring back warm hand towels in resort restrooms. Free soda in the parks with the mugs that should be included in a resort stay. Free pair of those glowing mouse ears for everyone. A busing system that works on a time table so guests can actually plan on when to arrive at the bus stop. Reservations at resort TSRs reserved for guests of that resort (feel free to release them to everyone else 24-hours out), but imagine checking in to, “Aloha, would you like to dine at ‘Ohana at some point during your 7-night stay? We can set that up for you now. Your Genie suggests you’re free Thursday night. How’s 6 pm?”
Don't forget that the Monorail route, the Contemporary Hotel, and TTC used to have toparies.
peppep837781.jpg

us+with+stork+topiaries.jpg

topimono.jpg

topittc.jpg

Here's a web page about it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom