All things Magic Mountain

Phroobar

Original Poster
Disneyland wasn't the only park to have a monorail. Even Magic Mountain had one.
293521_156707527755679_693852922_n.jpg

390589_172529109506854_1443562208_n.jpg

I think they finally removed all traces of the monorail when Crazanity was added. Full Throttle uses one of the monorail tunnels under the Superman plaza.

The old monorail station before finally being demoed for Crazanity.
323732_171904176236014_838499231_o.jpg

SirWillow

Referring to Flashback:
Wonder why this closed...thought it was enjoyable but really only rode it a couple of times right when it opened. Probably became pretty dated given everything else that's opened up since then.

Because it was a horrible, painful, unpopular ride that they couldn't run most of the year. When it did run, it beat the crap out of your head, neck, and knees, and was known to give whiplash with the overforceful, sudden whipping turns. After the first few months it almost never was more than a 5 minute wait, if that.

And they couldn't run it anytime the water park was open because of the loud noise it made. The story is that it was so loud the life gaurds wouldnt' have been able to hear someone in distress in the water, so they had to keep it closed.

@Phrubruh love a lot of the things that you find, and some great memories in there. But as a photographer, it would be nice if you noted who/ where you got the photos from. I see some with water marks, and that someone else claimed one as their own. It's just a nice thing to give credit where it's due. But thank you for taking us down memory lane. :)

Rich T

... love a lot of the things that you find, and some great memories in there. But as a photographer, it would be nice if you noted who/ where you got the photos from. I see some with water marks, and that someone else claimed one as their own. It's just a nice thing to give credit where it's due. But thank you for taking us down memory lane. :)
I think a visible water mark is enough of a credit. That shot of the Dragon I took way back when was a photo I let Mouse Troop use, so the Mouse Troop watermark was fine. :)

Rich T

Disneyland wasn't the only park to have a monorail. Even Magic Mountain had one.
293521_156707527755679_693852922_n.jpg

390589_172529109506854_1443562208_n.jpg

I think they finally removed all traces of the monorail when Crazanity was added. Full Throttle uses one of the monorail tunnels under the Superman plaza.

The old monorail station before finally being demoed for Crazanity.
323732_171904176236014_838499231_o.jpg
Oh, Metro. Symbol of a more innocent Magic Mountain. California teens left unsupervised on a slow-moving elevated open-window train passing over guest's heads. What could possibly go wrong?

Phroobar

Original Poster
LOL. And here I always just thought they represented a low budget. :D Loved 'em anyway! Bring 'em back, MM!
Later they licensed the Looney Tunes and DC from Warner Bros. I wish they would open the sky tower museum. It would be cool to see the city from up there. I bet you can see downtown LA now that smog was eliminated since 1985 (source: Flight to the Moon at Disneyland)

Rich T

Free Fall - the inspiration for the Tower of Terror. An elevator would go to the top of the tower and then drop. Disneyland Paris Space Mountain complex was suppose to have one of these. It was suppose to have multiple rides within the mountain.

dvdparty29.jpg

freefall2.jpg
Loved these rides. Somehow I found these a lot scarier than modern drop towers. And, of course, instead of simply slowing down at the bottom, you went full-speed onto your back-WHAM-and THEN slowed down! :D
(EDIT)
Gotta say, Great America had the best theme for this thing. They called it "The Edge" and it was themed after Wile E. Coyote falling off a cliff. :D

Phroobar

Original Poster
Fright Fest at Magic Mountain returns this year for dates September 14, 15, 21, 22, 27-29, October 4-6, 11-13, 18-20, 25-27, 31, November 1-3. Fright Fest is free to paid guests in the park. However the mazes are an additional up cost. It is highly suggested that you buy the Fright Lane passes for the Fright Fest mazes. Magic Mountain employees are worse than Disneyland cast members in allowing the standby line to move. I remember waiting a half hour with only five people in front of me in stand by as the employee kept letting anyone in the Fright Lane go in. They seem to forget about the stand by line.

The mazes are amature at best. They are nowhere near the quality or imagination of Universal or Knotts. You get minimum decoration with typically a teenager ever ten feet screaming at you. Sometimes they forget the makeup. The park is usually packed during the day and night. Ride lines are especially long.

maxresdefault.jpg

FrightFest.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Phroobar

Original Poster
Former SFMM CM here. Fright Fest was the busiest time of the year for the parks. One day during Fright Fest we had to open up an overflow parking lot that hadn't been used in 10 years because we ran out of space. Directing cars out that day was a nightmare and required us to send the guests to back roads that are typically only for employees.
I've seen that parking lot completely full like that. That is when you just turn around and go play putt-putt golf down in the Valley or hang out at the beach in Santa Barbara.

Rich T

Coaster Studios made this joke first, but...

Yes, it looks like Magic Mountain's big new ride for 2020 is going to be.... West Coast Racers! :D

Phroobar

Original Poster
Here is a vlogg update on West Coast Racers. Notice the giant housing construction site right behind Magic Mountain. I wonder how long it will be until Magic Mountain has to do something about the coaster and rider screams disturbing the neighbors. Green Lantern seems to have started it's deconstruction. I hated that ride because you have to wear a cup to ride it.

socalifornian

An email from today

FEFF8BC5-7B32-4C19-9D05-8D7662F369E7.jpeg

Major Event Enhancements at Six Flags Magic Mountain in 2020
In 2020, we're introducing our biggest-ever expansion of Fright Fest and Holiday in the Park in our newly themed area, The Underground. The ghouls and yules will feature a brand new urban street vibe and uniquely themed entertainment. The area will be completely transformed to each of our iconic events, creating new immersive experiences unlike anything we've ever offered before.

Fright Fest 2020 will add a new scare zone and more ghouls and zombies than ever before to roam the streets. During Holiday in the Park in winter 2020, the newest area will light up with thousands of additional twinkling lights.

These enhanced events will bring more macabre and merriment to the park in 2020, but you can experience The Underground this fall along with our highly-anticipated West Coast Racers, the world's first dual-track racing launch coaster. The new area also features new theming, additional culinary and retail offerings, and updated ride experiences. Opening date announcement coming soon.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Free Fall - the inspiration for the Tower of Terror. An elevator would go to the top of the tower and then drop. Disneyland Paris Space Mountain complex was suppose to have one of these. It was suppose to have multiple rides within the mountain.

dvdparty29.jpg

freefall2.jpg

Hey, I was wondering where the Edge went after Paramount ripped it out of Great America in the 90s in favor of a Drop Tower ride.

DarkMetroid567

dvdparty29.jpg

freefall2.jpg

I got to ride one of these this year at Nagashima Spa Land in Japan; they're still a ton of fun!

Rich T

...I wonder how long it will be until Magic Mountain has to do something about the coaster and rider screams disturbing the neighbors. ...

I don't think Magic Mtn. should have to do one dang thing. I think everyone who buys a house in that development should have to sign a waiver acknowledging that they are making a decision to move into a house located right next to a giant theme park and all the noise that goes with it.

Phroobar

Original Poster
I don't think Magic Mtn. should have to do one dang thing. I think everyone who buys a house in that development should have to sign a waiver acknowledging that they are making a decision to move into a house located right next to a giant theme park and all the noise that goes with it.
That never stopped the people around Disneyland from about fireworks.
Disneyland's fireworks is how my mother in law tells time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom