News D23 Expo 2019

World_Showcase_Lover007

Insiders called this reveal very well. Did we get everything they've hinted at, no, but we got a lot. I suspect Disney held off on fiftieth announcements because it might do more harm than good. If you were planning a trip and found out that 4-6 attractions would be down at a time, you might wait a year to go, especially if you knew they would be greatly enhanced and you wouldn't be able to go back for several years. For this reason I think the fiftieth will be down played for a while, maybe a year or more. Marketing wants an asset not a loss.

As for Epcot, why reveal stuff that you wont get too for a year or more? The world of nature will take at least 1-2 years and make that area a nightmare. Add in closing Spaceship Earth, and Future World is a real mess. I haven't even counted the front gate or Guardians or the play pavilion, or Space restaurant.
Just speculation, but I doubt Poppins will start until the rat is open, and if it happens, Brazil won't break ground for at least 6 months to a year.
The loss of half of Innoventions probably wont start until after this holiday season or when the majority of work at the main gate is finished.

Right now there are 5 major renovations going on and 3 new movies coming. Something should wrap up before they make another mess or two especially at their construction speed.
Not getting anything announced for the other parks is a big disappointment, but again I think marketing decided to let Epcot shine in thee spotlight. I suspect there are exciting things on the table for all three of the other parks and eventually we will hear about those.

Because it’s all marketing hype and a big corporate game. Talk is cheap but causes a fervor of excitement (see D23 crowd every time Chapek uttered a syllable). You don’t have to go through with everything you say but you might as well take the credit in advance. Most people won’t remember everything you announced... so it’s no big deal when things like the Main St. Theatre don’t get built.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Disney should be more selective in their announcements and follow through with reasonable timelines, but that ain’t how it works. The corporate execs don’t care that the details haven’t been fully flushed out for future attractions. They want credit now. So they say “it’s gonna be magical and the greatest thing ever!” Really bc even the imagineers don’t know that bc it hasn’t been sorted out yet. It’s all hype and bluster.

rocketraccoon

Got bored and remade the World Celebration poster by hand (or computer in this case):

Turned out nice enough! Full size:

Makin the Imagination poster will take some doing though

nickys

Premium Member
I don't like when "rumor" is treated as gospel truth. And the more smug members of this board do that quite a lot.

I appreciate that some "insiders" don't share all they hear -- that's exactly what a reporter would do. And of course plans really can change, but then that source should explain what happened. What I'm asking for is some level of accountability.

How does that one instance prove that I should always trust "insiders?"

Again, what I'm asking for some accountability and some explanation. I completely understand plans can and do change, that projects get discussed all the time that never come to fruition. To compare this to journalism again (and it's disseminating information, so it kind of is journalism), the most reliable reporters in every possible field get incorrect information sometimes.

So just like them, "insiders" are not infallible. You seem to be asking me to treat them like they are.

Doesn't that sort of blind trust create people like Tom?

Our insiders here share what they can, when they can .Many of us are very grateful to them for that, and yet recognise that things change. Hence the word Rumour in the sub-forum.

Others are far more sceptical, which is fine. However talking about “expecting some accountability” is out of place IMO. None of them make money from sharing what they do, they are not a business providing information to a paying audience.

@wdwmagic maintains the actual News section of the site, which contains things that have been confirmed. The forums are a discussion arena, for news and rumours.

Stevie Amsterdam

What I'm asking for is some level of accountability

No one on this forum owes you anything. No one needs to be held accountable.

I'm curious what it is that you put on the table to even ask for accountability? Is it the time you invest in reading said rumors? If you have trust issues with insiders sharing information, don't bother reading their posts. You can block them to automate this process ;)

My advice: take rumors with a grain of salt, to lower your expectations. And while you're at it, throw in some sugar, spice & everything nice. No one likes to be called a 'smug member' just because Disney decided to change their mind on a rumor that was shared by someone who takes a risk every time he (or she) shares information.

Skipper2

I don't like when "rumor" is treated as gospel truth. And the more smug members of this board do that quite a lot.

I appreciate that some "insiders" don't share all they hear -- that's exactly what a reporter would do. And of course plans really can change, but then that source should explain what happened. What I'm asking for is some level of accountability.

Again, what I'm asking for some accountability and some explanation. I completely understand plans can and do change, that projects get discussed all the time that never come to fruition. To compare this to journalism again (and it's disseminating information, so it kind of is journalism), the most reliable reporters in every possible field get incorrect information sometimes.

So just like them, "insiders" are not infallible. You seem to be asking me to treat them like they are.

No one ask or expects you to have blind faith in a rumor. This is a false argument. Just because someone else has said something and acted as though it is actually fact and biblical cannon somewhere else doesn’t mean it happens here intentionally. Don’t apply journalism standards to this forum, they don’t apply. This board deals in RUMORS, something only tabloid reporters deal with in the journalism world, or used to anyway. Considering the state of modern journalism these days why would you even bother?(r) No one here has ever claimed anything is “infallible” or “gospel truth” they simply provide data and you and everyone else gets to determine through the course of time the validity of the data. TBH considering the grand total of all rumors I have read on this board since long before I joined, the track record isn’t really that good. Unless you know who to pay attention to.

My Question to you is why do you feel entitled to an apology? Where you promised a specific level of accuracy? A specific timeframe for delivery?

DisneyOutsider

Sounds like a YOU problem... maybe you should do your own damn homework. You're free to call anyone out by name if you feel it's necessary.. otherwise you're just posturing on a cowardly high-horse.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
And of course this is the response.

I ask simple questions about the “insiders” and what they should do when their information ends up being incorrect.

Instead I get smug, arrogant answers like this.

The arrogance is
  • trying to call people to accountability when we try to explain that that can't happen
  • thinking it's your place to do so because you think something is owed to you when it isn't

rle4lunch

the internet is a voluntary place to be... everyone forgets that... the mere fact that people get enraged over mindless drivel online is one of the main reasons the world appears to be as screwed up as it is. In actuality, the world is the same that it's always been. We just get to see more of the idiots that reside in it due to everyone being connected. Further, the world is better than it's ever been before. People manufacture issues to sate their need for 'belonging' and to make other forceably accept their views of the 'truth'.

LSLS

I ask simple questions about the “insiders” and what they should do when their information ends up being incorrect.

I mean, you want people who use their free time to give us inside info to then spend more time, go back through their sources and figure out what has changed just to satisfy one person (or maybe a handful of people) who are genuinely upset that the rumor they passed on wasn't announced on their time schedule? And you feel you are entitled to this because you come to a message board and look at what they post? Am I missing something with this?

Phicinfan

No one owes you any accountability. No one. Some have contacts inside(thus the moniker of insider) and they risk sharing what they know. Why is it risk? Well, if it is info that Disney knows who knows that person is risking their lively hood.

this is a gift, per say. You use it as you will, but how things get blown up is more from us readers than it is from most insiders here. Most of the insiders here are quite open and honest that they don't know it all, and things change with no notice.

Net, you aren't owed anything.

Choose to read these or not, choose to believe them or not, but that is on you as much if not more than those who post what they know.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think the wire crossing here is simple...

Side 1 says : "this information was confirmed via trusted rumors - its solid. Hence, we give Disney no credit for covering it"
where as @embracejg is simply saying "ok, so you trust those rumors as solid... where is the consequence of breaking that trust"

In retrospect people say "rumors are just rumors... treat them as such" as the way to cope with 'misses' . -- The contradiction is the allowance for uncertainty is not being applied equally. If it were... Disney adding confirmation to the rumors would have value, as it secures the rumor. But instead, people are not giving Disney credit for announcements simply because they were covered by rumors. That is not "treating rumors as rumors". That's people's emotions showing belittling one thing, because they didn't get something else.

ImperfectPixie

You're asking for people to be held accountable for stuff they have zero control over. That, in my opinion, really isn't fair and is like asking a PTA member what's being served for school lunch in a week and demanding that he/she be held accountable when the menu doesn't match up to what he/she said.

I have yet to see any of the insiders I tend to trust not admit when things have changed.

Last edited:

nickys

Premium Member
-Nothing is stopping an “insider” explaining why the information they passed along ended up being wrong. Absolutely nothing. They can do that with no danger to their source.

-You think asking for someone to admit when they spread information that ended up being wrong is arrogant?

The information may not be wrong. Things change.

The fact that a Brazil pavilion wasn’t announced at D23 doesn’t mean that info was wrong. It is likely that it was simply not announced for a reason we can speculate on but not know for certain. It may well be announced at a later date. Not one insider said that it would be announced, because they knew these things can change.

And if it turns out that they plans are shelved, or that another pavilion is announced, one of our insiders may well tell us what happened. Our insiders have admitted they were wrong, or when plans changed. And that is the crux of the problem. Plans change all the time, in life and at Disney.

At one time the U.K. attraction was all set to be Poppins. And then for a while it looked like Brave was on the cards. There can be two or more competing plans, and just because one is greenlit, doesn’t mean it can’t be shelved and another one brought back into consideration.

SirLink

-Nothing is stopping an “insider” explaining why the information they passed along ended up being wrong. Absolutely nothing. They can do that with no danger to their source.

-You think asking for someone to admit when they spread information that ended up being wrong is arrogant?

Every multinational corporation, priorities shift if what was planned doesn't meat the new priorities and they will cancel those projects. Simple as that....

Some stuff that comes out is to find where leaks come from, some comes out to help win internal arguments, some is just the God honest truth and then some is misinformation by fanbois with Youtube channels to pretending to be insiders. Use the duck test if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck chances are its a duck - if it looks fishy don't believe it and see if Disney/any other corporation surprises or disappoints you accordingly. People with information owe you no explanation.

Have a magical day :)

Skipper2

The nature of insider information is that you'll never get that. If that's not satifactory to you, stop reading rumor threads and you'll stop being continually disappointed.

Problem solved.
He

The only arrogance I see is you making a demand for explanation or accountability. The only smugness I see is you believing in the infalibility of your percieved point of view on this matter. The stubborness to which you hold to this position when confronted with the idea that you will not recieve what it is that you believe is owed you in the way of explanation for percieved errors is rather funny at this point. You won't get the people whom released the data/information/knowledge to say what you want, and that is not a RUMOR but a plain and simple FACT.

It Is What It Is

I apologise if someone else brought this up and I missed it:

Examining the Epcot posters that were up for D23, the original one for when Epcot began says, 'The 21st century begins October 1, 1982'.

The new one, that has the same graphics says, 'On the brink of a new age October 1, 2019'.

Anyone else think there's a chance something gets announced on October 1?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom