Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

bclane

So folks think this video doesn't have CGI added to it?
That's the million dollar question imo. If that's not CGI, we are seriously not prepared for the butt kicking this ride is gonna deliver. If it is CGI, I wonder what the people were freaking out about when the lightsaber was cutting through the ceiling. Hopefully the actual effect is believable.

Hawg G

That's the million dollar question imo. If that's not CGI, we are seriously not prepared for the butt kicking this ride is gonna deliver. If it is CGI, I wonder what the people were freaking out about when the lightsaber was cutting through the ceiling. Hopefully the actual effect is believable.

Well, they are actors.

The lightsaber is a NEAT effect, one I wish I hadn't been spoiled on, and I'm sorta surprised it is spoiled in the main advertisement. But even it is CLEARLY CGI enhanced with the molten metal appearing as the saber moves, and the slot it moves in not clearly there before it moves. Either they are using the best gag, and ruining it, or the ride is so awesome, showing that is no big deal (which would be awesome, but not holding my breath).

Regardless, I don't believe there would be any sparking in an enclosed building, just feet from the riders.

And the laser blasts shown here are most definitely not from the patent Disney has for the laser blasts, since those rely on spinning objects that are not invisible, and I can't imagine will be near the riders, for safety reasons.

I'm amazed how so many people seem to think Disney has figured out how to truly do magic for this ride. I mean, c'mon.

Last edited:

Markiewong

Well, they are actors.

The lightsaber is a NEAT effect, one I wish I hadn't been spoiled on, and I'm sorta surprised it is spoiled in the main advertisement. But even it is CLEARLY CGI enhanced with the molten metal appearing as the saber moves, and the slot it moves in not clearly there before it moves. Either they are using the best gag, and ruining it, or the ride is so awesome, showing that is no big deal (which would be awesome, but not holding my breath).

Regardless, I don't believe there would be any sparking in an enclosed building, just feet from the riders.

And the laser blasts shown here are most definitely not from the patent Disney has for the laser blasts, since those rely on spinning objects that are not invisible, and I can't imagine will be near the riders, for safety reasons.

I'm amazed how so many people seem to think Disney has figured out how to truly do magic for this ride. I mean, c'mon.
‘Near riders’, most of the sparkles and lasers are conveniently above the riders. Plus the sparkles were already visible in the first trailer that we received for this ride. Will everything work constantly for the years? Problaby not. But atleast we finally got to see what Disney has been cooking up. The actors have to respond atleast to something that is happening. Besides, can you imagine the backlash Disney will receive when they promote the ride with this commercial and then only a glowing red LED sticks comes out of the ceiling.

Also its Scott Throwbridge, the guy has proven himself with Spiderman and Harry Potter which are both close to magic.

Last edited:

bclane

Well, they are actors.

Yeah I don’t know. I have no inside knowledge on this. The actors are responding like whatever is happening at that point in the ride is a big deal so I assume something is going on during that show scene that is pretty impressive. Perhaps it’s all just a projection they are responding to. Perhaps it’s nothing and Disney is just filming a promo and that isn’t even in the actual ride. But perhaps they have come up with a super believable effect that will blow us all away and make us think Kylo Ren is coming through that ceiling. Hoping for the latter.

bclane

Fastpass reduces operational efficiency. Fact.
Agreed. We love Fastpass when we come down for like a two or three hour block on some random evening and so I understand why passholders enjoy it for that purpose. Having said that, we hate it when we bring guests or just want to spend a whole day in the parks ourselves. I would not complain one bit if they dumped Fastpass altogether.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I don't want to get into a debate with you. I know you dislike FP, while I really find it useful and enhancing the enjoyment of my vacations (not the 30/60-day part, I don't like that part of it, but the rest of it.). haven't heard am argument that is convincing in that regard. So I'll take your word for it, although I remain skeptical as I've heard differing takes from others both here and elsewhere who would also potentially know.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't want to get into a debate with you. I know you dislike FP, while I really find it useful and enhancing the enjoyment of my vacations (not the 30/60-day part, I don't like that part of it, but the rest of it.). haven't heard am argument that is convincing in that regard. So I'll take your word for it, although I remain skeptical as I've heard differing takes from others both here and elsewhere who would also potentially know.
Absolutely I can see why it’s enjoyable. Nothing like walking past the hour long standby queue and trying not to make eye contact.

But my comment is a quote from park operations.

Movielover

Absolutely I can see why it’s enjoyable. Nothing like walking past the hour long standby queue and trying not to make eye contact.

But my comment is a quote from park operations.

Speak for yourself! I make eye contact with every single person in the standby line as I strut by, while also blasting "Moving On Up" from my phone. I make sure to pay special attention to stare directly into the eyes of the little kids that have been standing there for the past couple hours as I laugh at the poor peasants in their squalor. This is MY moment and I'm going to milk it for every little bit of pleasure that I can...

I will admit, I may have some issues... ;)

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The Rise of the Resistance footage was my favorite part of the presentation. The lightsaber scene will be so scary. I wonder if and how they will do the laser blasts shooting across the room. When word gets out of how amazing this ride is the lines will be long for a while. I can't wait to see this in December.

If I were to guess on how to replicate blaster beams, I would string a wire or transparent tape and then have a fast moving laser light it up.

rle4lunch

If I were to guess on how to replicate blaster beams, I would string a wire or transparent tape and then have a fast moving laser light it up.

If the final product of that lightsaber coming down thru the ceiling is indeed that detailed, color me very, very impressed. side note, my wife has been avoiding all ROTR spoilers and while she was watching the live stream yesterday she was floored by how impressive ROTR looks.

truecoat

Cold spark pyro has been around for several years. It doesn't produce smoke, isn't hot, and is very safe for indoor use and close proximity effects.

At the 1:32 mark you can see a guy put his hands right in it.

Correction, he puts a piece of paper over it at this time. About 1:50 is when he puts his hand in the sparks.

Epcot_Imagineer

How about you skip the part where you guess, and look at this image of Disney's patent on replicating blaster beams ;)
laserpatent.jpg

Using this image and from what I read in the patent itself, it appears to be a bunch of spinning mechanisms with a fabric at the end that "captures" light. These mechanisms spin at about 160-ish RPM making the mechanism it hard to see. The laser beam shoots out, and the light is captured on this fabric at the end of the spinning rods, making it appear like a moving laser beam.

Here is the full patent!

doctornick

Can you expand on that? As long as there is a consistently filled line passed the merge point, no vehicles should be leaving without being filled. And despite some anecdotal reports to the contrary, I don't think this happens on any rides under typical circumstances.

Do you mean that it costs more to run FP+, because you need a CM at merge checking and maybe one at the entrance to answer questions? Plus people to staff the FP+ kiosks?

No Name

Fastpass causes the standby line to move about twice as slowly, but you don’t ride half of your rides with fastpass.

However, within the past decade, fastpass has become industry standard. And they didn’t go the included route. So paid fastpass has become industry standard. It’s not going away at WDW and I expect they’ll start charging for it in some form.

RoysCabin

Fastpass causes the standby line to move about twice as slowly, but you don’t ride half of your rides with fastpass.

However, within the past decade, fastpass has become industry standard. And they didn’t go the included route. So paid fastpass has become industry standard. It’s not going away at WDW and I expect they’ll start charging for it in some form.

Yep, I got to visit Disneyland for the first time in 2017 and got to use the old style paper fastpass there, then went to WDW this year with the new style and...ugh. I'm sure fastpass in any form ends up being an issue for efficiency, but give me the old system any day, the new one was just miserable. I had friends telling me "don't worry, I have pointers, you get used to it", but no, anything that involves "pick your rides/times months in advance" has zero appeal to me.

_bluebird

I think the reduction in operational efficiency that Martin talks about might originate more from CMs than anything else about it. An inexperienced CM at Merge or at FP out front can cause small delays in guest flow that can really add up. And this can be because they're struggling with the ratio, or they have to deal with a cast or guest question, and then they turn around and find out that they're starving load because they aren't sending guests quickly enough. If the queue was just Standby, there wouldn't really be an opportunity for operator error like this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom